Unable to get speed, when transfer files internally on home network (it's very slow)

Futureized

Skilled
Hello, Here is the scenario:
I have a PC connected via Ethernet to my router (with 3 walls and distance of 20 meters+ between router and PC)
PC motherboard supports onboard wifi hotspot features, so I use PC as a router/hotspot to connect my Tv/smartphones/laptops to connect to WIFI without long distance and breaking internet speeds to main router)

When trying to copy lot of data from PC to laptop and vice-versa, using Windows Network sharing, i am getting a maximum of 14 mbps TRANSFER rate, which is not feasible to transfer 100 GBs of data every week.
My Pen Drive for some reason is not working which I have posted in other topic.

Can someone guide what could be wrong here or help fix ?
Thanks.

SSD in both laptop n PC
How do I find about speeds?

PC (connected via ethernet to main router) gets around 80 mbps download/upload speed.

Laptop (connected to PC Hotspot) gets 80 mbps download /upload speed.

Where it says wifi connected, in settings it will show the connected speed also. Does low speed happens with a big single file or what?

I have to manually type in my pc name everytime in file explorer on windows 11
\\MyPC\ (on entering user/pass) and that makes me access all files/folders on Windows 10

Previously, I was able to find \\MyPC when selecting Network in file explorer.

Same goes with windows 10 to windows 11 connectivity.

The first thing you can do to start investigating this is to check your bandwidth between the two devices using iperf.
It is a small utility which you run on one device (as a server) and then you run it as a client on other device, and it will show you what is the maximum transfer speed the "Network can support"
You'll know if your network is a bottleneck here.
if not, then you can start investigating if this is due to a protocol issue (like windows network sharing)

When you have the ethernet cable laid out to the PC, rather then connecting it directly to PC why not get another wifi router there, plug the cable into that and from that connect one more cable from that router to PC.

Make sure this new router supports 5GHz, for increased speeds in between connected devices.

That motherboard wifi is more of a receiver not made for transmitting at high speeds. Transmitting needs a lot power which proper routers have.

The first thing you can do to start investigating this is to check your bandwidth between the two devices using iperf.
It is a small utility which you run on one device (as a server) and then you run it as a client on other device, and it will show you what is the maximum transfer speed the "Network can support"
You'll know if your network is a bottleneck here.
if not, then you can start investigating if this is due to a protocol issue (like windows network sharing)
Thanks seems like a nice and perfect tool for my issue
Is there something similar then a dos/terminal based tool ?
like localsend ?

Thanks seems like a nice and perfect tool for my issue
Is there something similar then a dos/terminal based tool ?
like localsend ?

You should not use a UI based tool because then there might be overheads of their UI. Terminal will give you more accurate numbers.
That said, I'm not aware of any other tools. I'm happy to jump on a call with you if you want some help figuring out the tools :)

You should not use a UI based tool because then there might be overheads of their UI. Terminal will give you more accurate numbers.
That said, I'm not aware of any other tools. I'm happy to jump on a call with you if you want some help figuring out the tools :)
Thanks @demon_slayer
I will try to give that tool a shot tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I tried to use an app named FX file explorer on android which is connected to my windows 10 PC via samba.
Here are results copying files from / to between android mobile amd pc.
This is the small Asus antenna via which I am at present connecting laptop windows 11 amd other devices to windows 10 pc

Attachments

• IMG-20230907-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230907-WA0000.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG-20230907-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230907-WA0001.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 63
  • tuf_gaming_wifi_01_2.png
    tuf_gaming_wifi_01_2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 59
  • tuf_gaming_x570_pro_wifi_01.png
    tuf_gaming_x570_pro_wifi_01.png
    355.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Here's is another screenshot between my mobile and PC (working as a router/Hotspot on windows 10 OS via Connectify software.

Is there no fix for same? Or adding another router is only solution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-14-01-07-06-573_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-14-01-07-06-573_com.android.settings.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 62
Here's is another screenshot between my mobile and PC (working as a router/Hotspot on windows 10 OS via Connectify software.

Is there no fix for same? Or adding another router is only solution.
You're connected over Wifi N, with 1T1R, 20MHz bandwidth, and likely on the 2.4GHz band. Your wireless hardware on PC probably does not support access point mode (hostap). All this translates to terrible wifi performance when using the PC as an access point.

Looks to be 2.4Ghz. So 72Mbps is the connection link and he's getting 5-6MBps of transfer speed. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's near capacity and working as it should.

Wanted to confirm as OP's Mobo defnitely supports a 5Ghz network.
@op Try to use the 5Ghz network in whatever software you're using to setup the hotspot.

Also, since you need to transfer 100GB of data every week, you're better off connecting both devices (between which the transfer is going to happen) to a wired connection and make sure that you have gigabit ethernet on both devices.

If you do not have gigabit ethernet port, then you're capped at 100Mbps there as well, so you need to again look at a 5Ghz network connection.

I'm also not sure why you want to stay away from a router, you have a 18k motherboard, spend 2-3k on a router, anyways, just a suggestion.
ITs 2.4 GHz as my TV supports only that band.
Then you have the reason for speed cap.

Thanks @demon_slayer @ze_cook
I tried to change network to 5 Ghz now and testing file transfer from my Redmi Note 11 PRO.
I can see an improvement by 3x but not much, as my hardware has much more capacity then same.

This is my existing router - https://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-Wireless-Technology-Archer-C2600/dp/B010UR8AM2
I guess going for another router in between my PC and main router is only solution.. (as read intel NIC is to blame here for low performance)
Considering this https://amzn.eu/d/09cDdvP (will replace this with main router)
and use main router in my room

or

get this router in my room - https://www.amazon.in/Tenda-AC10-1200Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B07DGPYKLP?th=1
Or please provide cheapest solution, lol.. just to connect all devices in my room 200 sq. ft. max which supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz and good speed
Router will be kept behind PC..

Attachments

• on 5ghz.jpg
    on 5ghz.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 55
  • speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 51
  • temp.png
    temp.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: