The Samsung Galaxy S thread

Guys, please use Clockwork Mod Recovery. It's much better than the 2e/3e recovery (which is by Samsung right?). It's used widely, I've used it on my Vibrant and G2, and am using it on my Nexus S as well.

gursud said:
Market is updated. The new UI looks awesome:)

I find it a bit laggy for some reason

ahd said:
Help in Reducing the lag on my SGS !

I am on Stock Froyo JP6 and I am thinking of Voodoo Lagfixing the phone, Its Recovery Mode 3e so can't accept unsigned update.zip.

My Question is
1. How do I Vodoo Lagfix ? (Noob Alert ! Please be as descriptive )
2. Is there anything better than Voodoo to reduce the lag ?
3. After I Voodoo Lagfix , If I there is a newer version of the Voodoo Lagfix How do I update to it ?
4. If I want to update to a newer version of the Stock OS through Kies will that be possible ? or if I want to update to a newer Custom ROM will the process be any different (Since I've Voodoo Lagfixed)

Thanks , any inputs much appreciated.
I'm using voodoo now, haven't yet tried some of the other custom roms out there yet. I think Rahul here has tried a few.

The latest version of voodoo needs you to put your phone in download mode and flash the update using ODIN, you can check the project voodoo home page, the insturctions are pretty clear and simple with screenshots.

Future updates from voodoo will need to be installed the same way and it will overwrite the older versions

If you want to update to a newer firmware via KIES you can disable voodoo lagfix by creating a specific folder and rebooting and then connecting up to KIES. For other custom ROMS refer their own documentation

One thing about voodoo is that it also roots the phone and all you need is busybox and superuser from market for full root functionality

sourcewop said:
@adh does your phone goes into download mode?
Yeah it does, But it stays there itself (Or freezes there some would say)
But we need to go into the Recovery Mode for the Flashing and Rooting stuff right.

ahd said:
Yeah it does, But it stays there itself (Or freezes there some would say)

But we need to go into the Recovery Mode for the Flashing and Rooting stuff right.
Ya lol, but to get to clock work recovery u will have to flash to 2e recovery via odin, go to the following link for guide n read about flashing or read everything. Then u will have to flash a froyo 2.2.1 that is xxjpy u will find in i9000 general section, u have to flash this via odin then if u want 2e n clockwork read the following thread post no: 3 [ROM] Doc Rom :JPY V6.2 / JPX V6/v6 Slim + update.zip generator (23/12/2010) - xda-developers

Info on flashing: [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!] - xda-developers

Finally ditched the lag cursed Stock Froyo JP6 with Darkyy's Custom ROM Gingerbread edition V7.0 this morning, all hail to the Lordess Darkyy for making this ROM.

Everything is working fine including Battery Life, So far so good.

You should say all thanks to Samsung, coz their new rom, JPY, has improved on battery life, GPS and made the lag almost non-existent. Darky is now using this rom as his base.

ultra vires said:
You should say all thanks to Samsung, coz their new rom, JPY, has improved on battery life, GPS and made the lag almost non-existent. Darky is now using this rom as his base.
You must be kidding! the phone lags and hangs on and off. Even after a wipe and reset. Very few apps installed, all from the market. Battery life is definitely better though.

It never lags for me nor becomes unresponsive, iam using stock android launcher installed around 20+ apps from market, the browser is best i have ever seen ultra smooth even when flash on.

How you guys upgraded to JPY? I'm on latest kies version and it's shows my JP is latest firmware :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also how do I update to Darky's 7.5 custom ROM, I'm on stock froyo JP6, this has recovery 3e, and the Darky's ROM requires 2e I think.

Any help on this.

Quad Master said:
So the Galaxy S has a official TouchWiz + Froyo release and when will Galaxy S have a for TouchWiz + Gingerbread official release.
Well lets hope so. I like touchwiz and I am looking to go directly to 2.3. If you do it via Kies, it should be there. Any other ports may not have touchwiz.

BTW I found out 2.2 has touchwiz when I Upgraded friends Galaxy S via kies

ultimabasher said:
Well lets hope so. I like touchwiz and I am looking to go directly to 2.3. If you do it via Kies, it should be there. Any other ports may not have touchwiz.

BTW I found out 2.2 has touchwiz when I Upgraded friends Galaxy S via kies
So when we update via kies its like a samsung official upgrade is it. [i am clueless about this]

Quad Master said:
So when we update via kies its like a samsung official upgrade is it. [i am clueless about this]
Yep exactly. Takes quite a time to download it and update but its official rom. It will have Touchwiz in it and everything that was there in the phone before you updated.

can someone tell how to put password in sgs i mean everytime i slide to unlock it shld ask me password before it gets unlock

Back