The Photography Thread !

Folks..

I need advise reagrding night time photography.

What sort of settings and setups u guys use for that? modes, values, lenses, tripods??

For night photography, I generally shoot in Aperture Value (AV) or Manual (M) mode...

If "Tripod" Then

ISO <= 200

Aperture = Depends on DOF you want (I generally go for Maximum)

Shutter Speed = Depends on scene you want to shoot

Else

ISO >=1600

Aperture = Maximum

Shutter Speed = Depends on scene you want to shoot

End-If

Note that Maximum ISO and aperture depends on your camera body and lens respectively. I have Canon 550D and I can use ISO up to 1600 and I generally use 50mm f/1.8 prime for night photography and thus use f/1.8 for low light scenes.

There is a inverse ratio rule to avoid blur images shot handheld which states that your shutter speed should not be slower than 1 divided by the focal length of the lens you are using. For example: if you are using a 100mm lens, you want your shutter setting to be faster than 1/100 of a second. If for whatever reason, you are using a slower shutter speed, please use a tripod or steady yourself against an object.

Thanks for the tips mate.

I have ordered a 50mm and a tripod.. lets see the results. :)

I soo want to take night pics where colors come into life. :). Flash photo using PnS are just not ok.

However i have heard that u can use the flash and take good pics? any idea? something with the Flash exposure?

Wanted to try last weekend but shifting got me busy

The on camera flash will give a direct harsh light... what you would need in that case would be a off-camera flash, with something to diffuse the light such as a softbox or an umbrella. Just try without the flash,

go for 1.8 aperture, iso 1600 and see what u manage :bleh:

^^ i personally think that you've to crop out the bottom portion, or maybe the pic should have been clicked from lower down. Just my opinion but seems distracting.

I like the DOF though :)

Sudarshan: Nice shots. in the first one, the 1mm on the wider side distinguishes the 17-50's to the kit lens :) Trust me the composition would have been better with just 1mm on the lower focal end..

@medpal , I liked the colour version more , but if b & w with those light polls ( where light can be little yellow ) will look nice , just thought .

One in B/W looks better with the theme of loneliness.

Every time I see this thread and beautiful shots I feel like taking the plunge to DSLR :p

Back