The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

Guys few days back i was playing with the connectivity settings of my 5230 and i suppose i made some change to access point settings and forced it to use 'Internet' as the access point everytime.

But in my phone i have 1 access point under internet which is MobileOffice and i have few other access points under 'Uncategorized'

Now what is happening is that when i use the phone's default browser it says...

"Connect to 'Internet' via 'Mobile Office'

Accept and use access point to automatically

Use another access point'
"

Now if i select "Use another access point, it goes to next available one under 'Internet' category only :S till the time it does not find anymore under this.

So effectively it never allows me to choose any access point from the uncategorized part :S It was allowing first but after i did something it disappeared. How do i bring that back and ensure that it allows me to choose any of the available access points (even from uncategorized ones )?

raksrules said:
Guys few days back i was playing with the connectivity settings of my 5230 and i suppose i made some change to access point settings and forced it to use 'Internet' as the access point everytime.
But in my phone i have 1 access point under internet which is MobileOffice and i have few other access points under 'Uncategorized'

Now what is happening is that when i use the phone's default browser it says...
"Connect to 'Internet' via 'Mobile Office'
Accept and use access point to automatically
Use another access point'
"

Now if i select "Use another access point, it goes to next available one under 'Internet' category only :S till the time it does not find anymore under this.

So effectively it never allows me to choose any access point from the uncategorized part :S It was allowing first but after i did something it disappeared. How do i bring that back and ensure that it allows me to choose any of the available access points (even from uncategorized ones )?
If you had backed up the settings with Nokia Suite, it is very easy to restore the earlier settings.

@raks

Go to Settings -> Connectivity -> Destinations -> Options -> Default Connection -> Select

Now choose whatever you want. Cheers :)

Its kinda urgent. Can you guys suggest me a navigation software, easily available for India ?

I have 5233 which have Ovi Maps but do not support Free Nokia Ovi Voice Guided Navigation.

Google maps work good but those are without any voice guidance.

BTW I already have unlimited GPRS plan and have bluetooth GPS device which detects 10 satellites easily.

Hi, I am looking for Nokia car holder that are coming now with 5230 model. Do you know from where can I buy one in Bangalore or online?

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Its kinda urgent. Can you guys suggest me a navigation software, easily available for India ?

I have 5233 which have Ovi Maps but do not support Free Nokia Ovi Voice Guided Navigation.

BTW I already have unlimited GPRS plan and have bluetooth GPS device which detects 10 satellites easily.
I have 5230 and use voice navigation with ovi maps. I guess it is free. Else you can use garmin XT. I really like its voice navigation. Better than ovi voice navigation

Vasishta.Sushant said:

May be it is because 5233 has only AGPS and not GPS. Nokia Navigation is nowadays free for all supported models. Please check the Nokia site for the models for which it is supported. Better, paid option is either Satguide or MapmyIndia map which cost about Rs.1000/-

Vasishta.Sushant said:
What about a free option :D
Ovi maps support voice navigation and its free ( they even have Hindi language). Garmin XT's voice navigation is cool but as you know it is not free I am using it with MMI ( map my india) maps and they are fairly accurate.

Ty Bro :)

One more Q on OVI maps, Used NOkia Map loader & downloaded India maps.

Now when Map icon is clicked, it just gives white screen with icons around, Cant see map of India or city or place.

Do i need to install the maps or just click map icon after download via Nokia map loader. ?

Praks said:
Ty Bro :)

One more Q on OVI maps, Used NOkia Map loader & downloaded India maps.

Now when Map icon is clicked, it just gives white screen with icons around, Cant see map of India or city or place.

Do i need to install the maps or just click map icon after download via Nokia map loader. ?

Did you face super slow download of India maps with OVI software. Actually i downloaded the maps of India from some website directly and it was through normal speed (as per my internet plan) while through PC suite it was very very slow irrespective of my internet connection (this is known problem)

Now from where i had downloaded the maps they had give instructions as how to install but i guess that involved only copying the folders in root directory. So since i did not install through the Ovi maps PC software (or wharever it is) i cant much comment. Check your PM

I just gopt a new 5233..I'm facing a similar problem, when I open the maps, nothing comes and it tells me to go online.When I do that , still nothing happens ! What is to be done guys ?

karan_n8 said:
I just gopt a new 5233..I'm facing a similar problem, when I open the maps, nothing comes and it tells me to go online.When I do that , still nothing happens ! What is to be done guys ?
As I mentioned earlier, 5233 doesn't have a GPS chip and uses cell tower triangulation for positioning, and hence not accurate and requires GPRS.

Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia 5233, How can I configure Network based GPS ... - Nokia Support Discussions

Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia 5233 gps data - Nokia Support Discussions

raksrules said:
Did you face super slow download of India maps with OVI software. Actually i downloaded the maps of India from some website directly and it was through normal speed (as per my internet plan) while through PC suite it was very very slow irrespective of my internet connection (this is known problem)

Now from where i had downloaded the maps they had give instructions as how to install but i guess that involved only copying the folders in root directory. So since i did not install through the Ovi maps PC software (or wharever it is) i cant much comment. Check your PM
The speed of downloading maps via Ovi suite is really very slow!, to download 121 mb it showed that it will take 3 hours whereas I am on bsnl's 2mbps connection. Can u tell me where to find the direct download link of the maps and whether the maps are updated regularly there or not?

Back