The Fitness Thread !

Hey guys. It has been over 25 days since I joined gym.. I am working out almost everyday (6 days / week).. Missed couple of days only..

Here is my workout program :
1st, 3rd, 5th day : Full cardio for around 40 minutes (Trademill, cycling, elliptical etc.) + Abs workout (crunches, reverse crunch, cross crunch etc.) for 10-15 minutes + Cardio and full body stretch for 10 minutes to finish..
2nd, 4th and 6th day : Weight training..

I have controlled my diet (not fully but trying to do so).. I take a cup of corn flakes with milk in the morning. 2 rotis and whatever sabji we have in office as an afternoon meal, some fruits / corn flakes as evening meal and very light weight dinner (1.5 roti and vegetable in home). I do eat chicken like twice a week. Almost stopped consuming alcohol (drink once in a month).

My height is 168cm and weight is around 74.7kg.. The weight is fluctuating almost everyday by +/- 500-700gms.. I understand this is normal.. Weight reduced like by 1.5kg in first couple of weeks then I found it is neither decreasing nor stable.. I have enough water intake (like 4-5 liter a day).. Don't know what is going wrong.. :-S

Help me with the diet plan :)

Hey guys. It has been over 25 days since I joined gym.. I am working out almost everyday (6 days / week).. Missed couple of days only..

Here is my workout program :
1st, 3rd, 5th day : Full cardio for around 40 minutes (Trademill, cycling, elliptical etc.) + Abs workout (crunches, reverse crunch, cross crunch etc.) for 10-15 minutes + Cardio and full body stretch for 10 minutes to finish..
2nd, 4th and 6th day : Weight training..

I have controlled my diet (not fully but trying to do so).. I take a cup of corn flakes with milk in the morning. 2 rotis and whatever sabji we have in office as an afternoon meal, some fruits / corn flakes as evening meal and very light weight dinner (1.5 roti and vegetable in home). I do eat chicken like twice a week. Almost stopped consuming alcohol (drink once in a month).

My height is 168cm and weight is around 74.7kg.. The weight is fluctuating almost everyday by +/- 500-700gms.. I understand this is normal.. Weight reduced like by 1.5kg in first couple of weeks then I found it is neither decreasing nor stable.. I have enough water intake (like 4-5 liter a day).. Don't know what is going wrong.. :-S

Help me with the diet plan :)

^^ what's your goal? don't say "to lose weight", which is quite vague. explain a bit what you want to achieve.

BTW, your diet is not good at all for fat reduction as well to gain muscles.

I am 6'1'' tall, weighing over 120kgs. The whole healthy lifestyle was left in dust due to inherited issue of hyperion-tension induced over eating. I used to get rattled very easily and it led to me eating more and more -- parental inherited trait.

I have been going to support groups and doctor to get my hyper tension in control. It has been working well but I have yet to get my weight under control. I have read about weight loss online and there seems to be conflicting information: some say protein based diets, others say balanced diet + gym, while there are others who say primary focus on diets.

Now one thing I understand is, diets form the base of any weight loss program. Being an IT engineer I have quite a sedentary lifestyle - 10-11 hrs is spent sitting. I haven't been able to focus on any specific diets. So anyone can help me building up a decent diet program?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 6'1'' tall, weighing over 120kgs. The whole healthy lifestyle was left in dust due to inherited issue of hyperion-tension induced over eating. I used to get rattled very easily and it led to me eating more and more -- parental inherited trait.

I have been going to support groups and doctor to get my hyper tension in control. It has been working well but I have yet to get my weight under control. I have read about weight loss online and there seems to be conflicting information: some say protein based diets, others say balanced diet + gym, while there are others who say primary focus on diets.

Now one thing I understand is, diets form the base of any weight loss program. Being an IT engineer I have quite a sedentary lifestyle - 10-11 hrs is spent sitting. I haven't been able to focus on any specific diets. So anyone can help me building up a decent diet program?

We'll need to start from what your current diet looks like.

^^ what's your goal? don't say "to lose weight", which is quite vague. explain a bit what you want to achieve.

BTW, your diet is not good at all for fat reduction as well to gain muscles.
Suggest me good diet.. I get mixed suggestions from almost everyone :-(

Well, my goal is to keep myself fit, keep the weight in proportion, reduce fat percentage in body. Reduce the belly.. Well it is not that much but would like to see the flat stomach. :)

reduce fat percentage in body. Reduce the belly.. Well it is not that much but would like to see the flat stomach. :)
Currently Seeing some Good Results I run for ~2kms per day and Brisk Walking in Between.
Have Reduced My Tummy by Few inches in a Week.
Diet is as follows:
*Breakfast: Coconut water before Jogging> After Jogging a Glass of Herbalife Shake with a Fruit
* 2-3 Biscuits after 2hours.
* Lunch : Two roti's with Dal or Spinach and Coconut water after 15-20mins
* Snacks: Green Tea with Two Osmania biscuits or a Fruit like Apple or Papaya.
* Dinner: Glass of Herbalife Shake.

I Don't Go to Gym.. Yoga pranayam's are part of my routine with 10mins of Kaphalbati and Anuvilom.

I am on Diet since 10days seen a improvement of 1.5 kgs weight loss and 1" Waist line.
All sunday Afternoons are cheat days.. Chicken biryani or Rice with mutton.

Suggest me good diet.. I get mixed suggestions from almost everyone :-(

Well, my goal is to keep myself fit, keep the weight in proportion, reduce fat percentage in body. Reduce the belly.. Well it is not that much but would like to see the flat stomach. :)

I can't say if you are overweight by 6~8 Kgs or you possess a wide/heavy bone structure, which is contributing to extra weight. You can try focusing more on your chest size, along with reducing overall fat to make your belly look less protruding :D

Reduce your cardio time to 15~20 mins and read up on HIIT. You are unnecessarily doing too much cardio. Stop doing any abs exercises until you have reduced considerable amount of body fat. Focus on doing heavy deadlifts, squats and shoulder presses. Whatever schedule/exercise plan/diet plan you follow, change it after 3 months.

Here's is what I suggested to another member with similar goals... see if it suits you as well:

Meal Plan.PNG

*PBJ Sandwich= Peanut Butter Jam Sandwich

Fellas, need your advice/recommendation on my condition.

I'm 28, 5'11'' and weigh 71 kilos. I am not fat/overweight by any standards. I lead a very laid back life, as befits a typical software engineer :p.
However, I have got a little bit of a paunch showing up, and my upper body has become a bit more flabby than before.
Earlier, throwing on a t-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans was easy. But, of late, the jeans feel much tighter around the waist and the thighs.
The t-shirts also look a bit weird. Size M would work perfect before, but now it seems to be one size too small. Size L fits fine though.

So I was wondering if you experts would recommend some exercises & diets to tone down the extra fatty deposits.
Not that I want to be super skinny. Somewhere around 67-68 kilos would be good. What would you recommend?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I am a total n00b when it comes to exercise and diet.
I eat what I get, and the only exercise I take everyday is walking from the doors to my car and back :D.

So again I am back to running. As my schedule is Running+Cycling+Elliptical for 30 minutes Some stretching and ab execise for 5~10 minutes.

My weight is kinda stationary on 98. Not going down. :( :(. Am I hitting some wall or?

Earlier i planned to restart weights at reaching 90. Should is start doing that now? Will i gain weight? I want to loose weight. Reach somewhere near 90.
I am of wide bodies type. :(

I used to squat around 100~110KGS. should i do like that or reduce the weights and increase the reps?

So again I am back to running. As my schedule is Running+Cycling+Elliptical for 30 minutes Some stretching and ab execise for 5~10 minutes.

My weight is kinda stationary on 98. Not going down. :( :(. Am I hitting some wall or?

Earlier i planned to restart weights at reaching 90. Should is start doing that now? Will i gain weight? I want to loose weight. Reach somewhere near 90.
I am of wide bodies type. :(

I used to squat around 100~110KGS. should i do like that or reduce the weights and increase the reps?

If your structure is broad types you shod better do less weights and max reps..
And do exercises like squats deadlifts overhead.
Even excises burn calories rapidly so do it as much as you can.;)

^^ Sugar is very important for normal functioning of the body. One shouldn't stop sugar consumption completely and suddenly, unless advised by a doctor. Quitting sugar can have serious consequences... like, sudden blackouts while lifting heavy weights (outside of the gym) and feeling lethargic.

if somebody wants to reduce sugar intake then the best option is to stop having fruit juices (whole fruit is fine), soft drinks and any canned food containing High Fructose Corn syrup (HFC).

@m-jeri few comments:
1) Add variety to your exercise... you've reached plateau.
2) Reduce cardio or add circuit training. Use HIIT.
3) Heavy lifting is more effective in reducing fat then cardio alone. This will add more lean muscle and overall body weight will definitely increase. But putting on more muscles will help in burning fat faster.

GOI airs lot of ads saying the same... that don't neglect the sugar.

So far, I've only heard of diabetics and professional body builders quitting sugar. Pros quit sugar for few days only, prior to a show.

Thanks guys...

I have cut down on sugar like a LOT. I mean a LOT. Havent touched any soft drinks in like 4 months. Any sweetened drinks for that matter. And sweets also. :). Rice too. In last 4 months.. i had rice only once. :)
But cant avoid dosa's. South India. Breakfast. Period. :(. Tried asking for chapathis. but not always. :(. When i was in US it will be whole grain bread and eggs. or Kellogs.

Anyways today increased cardio to 35 minutes. and Started machines all around. Shoulder press, Chest extension, Leg extension, Lats, Back legs and some back stretch. shall i continue the same?

Will add squats and deadlifts too. Shall i continue all the above and this everyday? After cardio? since fat burn and weight loss is my target.

Finally i feel like i am doing right things. please correct me if i am not.

Thght of doing cardio later, but i will be worn out if i do that. and some articles says that get a good warmup and then do weights.

Only Friday dinner is my guilt pleasure. Half chicken grilled. :). No mayo. I used to have it in US. not here. only last week. How abt it guys??...shall i go ahead.? ;)

^^ Weight lifting should be done prior to cardio (or keep a separate day for cardio) as you wouldn't want to lift weights with half the energy. You won't be able to make any progress with weights, if you continue to give lesser preference to weight training. You may injure yourself and won't be able to complete full sets. And there are many more reasons.

Warm-up before weight lifting is a good idea but you don't have to kill your body/stamina by replacing "warm-up sets" with cardio :p However, you can do cardio first, on few days just to add variety to your routine.

Your machine specific exercises are all 'isolated' in nature. Try adding compound exercises, such as inclined chest press, standing shoulder press, machine leg press.

Wanted to ask you: Why are you increasing the cardio time? Did someone (gym instructor/dietician) ask you to do it?

No. I like running. See I was very fat. Now i am in fat category. 175cms. Broad. 98kgs. Grown up fatty.So its like a motivation for me to run more always. Dunno why. I want to run a 5k marathon one day if possible. Now doing ~3k :). And with my leg issues, its not issues, just think its in my mind. So want to run more. I want to be fit. Stamina. Things like that.

Yea planning to do compound ones from tmrw. Just started today. Will do more from tmrw.

Back