Tablet - Which one ?

Me a noob too but if android can be loaded as 2nd OS to HP slate then this would certainly be my choice.

As of now, I use IPad just for recreation purpose, but slate with both 7 and android would/can give the right balance of work and entertainment.

apextwin146 said:
Just a n00b question here:

why didnt you guys consider the HP slate? I knw its pricier at $799 but isnt the Hardware well worth it ?

1.86GHz Intel Atom Z540 processor,

2GB of RAM,

64GB SSD

Broadcom's Crystal HD accelerator

N-Trig active digitizer for taking notes

I ask this as i was contemplating getting this or the new Inspiron Duo instead of the Ipads and likes.

thebanik said:
Me a noob too but if android can be loaded as 2nd OS to HP slate then this would certainly be my choice.

As of now, I use IPad just for recreation purpose, but slate with both 7 and android would/can give the right balance of work and entertainment.
As of now only 1.6 android is supported on intel processors and not many apps work on 1.6 as most of the apps these days are made for 2.0+ versions of android...

I am just curious, wont the intel atom processor run hotter than the other processors which are present in the android tablets these days ?

If movies is one of your Uses then isnt Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator a good peice of Hardware to have in your Tablet? Its supports 1080p output too with an HDMI Port(slate has one).
Yeah from an Apps perspective since it supports 1.6 it is at an disadvantage :( , but once it starts shipping then i am sure there would be more possiblities on what it can achieve cuz it has the Hardware . Its Targeted towards the Business Users on release hence the Windows Platform, but look how hackers have a field day with Gpad.

I guess its a WAit and Watch game for those with hefty App requirements ,But if you order now it has a Shipping delay of 6 Weeks, so that takes care of that :p

apextwin146 said:
If movies is one of your Uses then isnt Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator a good peice of Hardware to have in your Tablet? Its supports 1080p output too with an HDMI Port(slate has one).

Also once it starts shipping then i am sure there would be more possiblities on what it can achieve cuz it has the Hardware . Its Targeted towards the Business Users on release hence the Windows Platform, but look how hackers have a field day with Gpad.

Bty if you order now it has a Shipping delay of 6 Weeks, its that much in demand now.
Even the Gtab has HDMI output and i think the Tegra 2 chipset would be able to handle 1080p without any problem.

you mean the Gtab has a shipping delay of 6 weeks ? or the HP slate ?

Can you see if these points are correct?

-Gtab dsnt have access to Google Market Place only pocket Gear that means the App Availability on this Unit would be less too isnt it?
- Specs <http://www.viewsonic.com/gtablet/spec.htm>
- it dsnt have an HDMI port as can be seen from the Specs! Apart from this the Screen is pathetic so it dsnt matter if it can output 1080p on the screen itself.
-Also its 16gb + MicroSD Slot which means a Max of 32gb but HP Slate has a 64gb SSD which would be way faster than this isnt it
- Micro SD port isnt mapped properly so Apps dont work properly(Fewer App ?!!!)
- Only google Docs supported as of now(not sure of operatability), no support for Office
- EXtrememly Laggy UI
- Flash 10.1 final does not work with the Tegra 2 chipset(wait till Dec 19 for another Release)
- <<http://www.mysears.com/Viewsonic-10-quot-Android-WiFi-Tablet-review-5c421>>
- Apps that rely on G sensor/accelerometer do not work correctly.

Bty the official carriers are Kmart and Sears so i dont knw how will other stores handle the Warranty if any.

I am not bashing this product but ..

apextwin146 said:
Can you see if these points are correct?

-Gtab dsnt have access to Google Market Place only pocket Gear that means the App Availability on this Unit would be less too isnt it?

- Specs <http://www.viewsonic.com/gtablet/spec.htm>

- it dsnt have an HDMI port as can be seen from the Specs! Apart from this the Screen is pathetic so it dsnt matter if it can output 1080p on the screen itself.

-Also its 16gb + MicroSD Slot which means a Max of 32gb but HP Slate has a 64gb SSD which would be way faster than this isnt it

- Micro SD port isnt mapped properly so Apps dont work properly(Fewer App ?!!!)

- Only google Docs supported as of now(not sure of operatability), no support for Office

- EXtrememly Laggy UI

- Flash 10.1 final does not work with the Tegra 2 chipset(wait till Dec 19 for another Release)

- <<http://www.mysears.com/Viewsonic-10-quot-Android-WiFi-Tablet-review-5c421>>

- Apps that rely on G sensor/accelerometer do not work correctly.

Bty the official carriers are Kmart and Sears so i dont knw how will other stores handle the Warranty if any.

I am not bashing this product but ..

- we can get the market with a fix which is documented at XDA forums

- yes i was wrong before, the gtab doesnt have a hdmi port but its dock has an hdmi port, also the dock prices will drop soon as its compatible with malata dock which will be cheaper.

- about the screen - what do you expect for 400$ ?

- same answer as above for the storage

- mapping of microSd port will be fixed or is fixed by an Dev as there are Developers working on this already

- not sure about the office

- flashing the Gtab with Tnt lite 2.0+ rom, this rom doesnt lag

- flash 10.1 - there's a fix

- same the g sensor etc will be fixed

you're are comparing the Gtab with Hp slate which costs around 800$ while the former costs around 400$....not fair

you guys are discussing what has been posted on page 1-3 already :|

screen is good, the only problem is viewing angle. i think those should not matter on handheld much.

HDMI out is possible via Dock. Malata (the original OEM) has a dock for the OEM tablet.

Android Market is accessible via Custom ROMs, or even on stock rom with Titanium Backup Hack.

Laggy UI Suck, people are replacing it with Launcher Pro and Custom ROMs.

Currently Android 2.2 does not support multiple cores i guess, 2.3 and most importantly honeycomb 3.0 are supposed to be more Tablet specific versions. so we can always expect better.

As for android on x86 moorestown, i suppose google will support them too if they flood market.

and as for windows on ARM.. only winCE flavours will be available for ARM based devices as XP or Win7 (i think we refer to these as NT) are all not yet ported for RISC machines.

a point i missed that these new gen tablets come with USB slot which you can use to connect flash drives or even hdds.

people are experimenting with usb 3g modems to get them working..

also the gtablet has been opened and is being worked to add 3G and GPS modules :p
but the thing about GPS module and 3G module to be added looks very complicated job for an average end user as it takes soldering bga packages to the mainboard :eek:hyeah::p

madnav said:
also the gtablet has been opened and is being worked to add 3G and GPS modules :p
but the thing about GPS module and 3G module to be added looks very complicated job for an average end user as it takes soldering bga packages to the mainboard :eek:hyeah::p
How much would that cost ? :)
Viewsonic will give support for Gtab in India ?

suhas_sm said:
How much would that cost ? :)

Viewsonic will give support for Gtab in India ?
Yeah Madnav i would like to know too....but it wont be possible for casual users like me to mod it...if the price is reasonable i might be able to find someone who would do it for some money

G Tablet Hardware Breakdown (with pics) - xda-developers

this is the thread with what the status is and would be further if this happens.

viewsonic will be launching ViewPad 10 and ViewPad 7 in india.. so the chances of gtablet appearing in india are low.. expect no support for the same...

as for 3G. a more possible solution will be via the usb 3G modems..and that will be appreciated with many Tablet owners without 3G.

if the 3G modem was plug and play device like usb keyboard/mouse then maybe this would have been possible OOB to begin with...

what's the update?

did finally purchase it?

Notion Ink Adam is launching very soon and I may get that if im not able to acquire G-Tablet.

can't keep waiting for it to launch as it is on hold due to FCC approvals.. so it is kind of now or never thing.

googling tells that it may be stretched to Jan 2011 and i will buy it then if it is worth it. g-tablet for now if friend's friend manages to pick one up.

madnav said:
what's the update?

did finally purchase it?

Notion Ink Adam is launching very soon and I may get that if im not able to acquire G-Tablet.

can't keep waiting for it to launch as it is on hold due to FCC approvals.. so it is kind of now or never thing.

googling tells that it may be stretched to Jan 2011 and i will buy it then if it is worth it. g-tablet for now if friend's friend manages to pick one up.
No he hasnt bought it yet...he visited office depot and staples and none of them have a display piece for him to check out....and they want to sell it...WTF

strangely the person who is buying for me, the place he found it at $300, they had a pice for display but none for selling :p

so im pretty much in t he same water.

moreover, notion Ink seems to be getting attention seeking with all their blog updates.. it is supposed to launch this month but speculation are that it wont launch anytime before Jan 2011.

it is supposed to be priced $449-498 but im not sure if india will see any special pricing as being a product from india. (not sure where it actually manufactures though...

Maybe you can try to buy that display piece off that store for ~200$ ? ie only if its in good condition....i have lost hopes about notion ink adam launching even in January...but if india gets special pricing i will be more than happy to buy it from India itself

well he did try to get that display piece but the store was reluctant on selling the same.. may be they were trying to check interest and then price it at $400 mark if it's so needed :p

I am looking for tablet but inclined more towards galaxy tab due to specs. I know it is overpriced but the specs like dual cameras, 3G, GPS and some other features looks promising for me. I have checked this tab in reliance digital for some time and it is a good tablet. I have some doubts, How is GPS, any other option other than google maps as it require internet. Is it upgradeable to future android releases like 2.3 and 3.0.

^it would be smarter to wait for notion ink adam now that it is launching within a month at max.

all those features + dual core tegra.

full specs:

NVIDIA Tegra 250

Dual Core Cortex A-9

ULP GPU

1GB DDR2 RAM

1GB SLC

8+ GB Flash

Micro-SD Card support

Universal Charger

3 cell 24.6Whr battery

10.1" WSVGA (1024 x 600)

Optional Pixel Qi display:

Transmissive, transflective,

and reflective modes

Multi-touch

Matte finish

Anti glare coating

Scratch resistant

Finger print resistant

3.2 MP Auto Focus Swivel

Camera

WLAN - 802.11 b/g/n

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

WWAN - 3G HSPA

Stereo loudspeakers

3.5mm headphone jack

Built in microphone

Input/Output Ports

USB 2.0 Host x 2

Mini USB

HDMI

Micro SD slot

SIM Card slot

DC connector

Sensors

3-Axis accelerometer

Ambient light sensor

GPS

Digital Compass

Bonus mystery feature ;)

the cam can swivel 180 degrees, thus solving the video calling requirement.

all this at estimated $449-498 in USA .. the Manufacturer is based in Banglore,, India; so maybe we can expect this at a lower price here.

http://www.notionink.com/techspecs.php

I know i have seen this but the size matters:D
Actually i am looking for a table to use as a carPC and 7 inch size is perfect for it. tab has all the required specs.

Back