CPU/Mobo suggest x79 setup

techboi->rite
its a long long story, much of which even i dont know.
i guess the story lays buried with the old timers.

Thanks cyber, I think I can recreate / simulate the rest of the details that will occur at my own discretion. Anyone willing to share the story can PM me :p.

Now enough OT on this thread, I think I must take my leave, best of luck stormblast for your RIG, Cheerio!!

You will need a basic adapter kit Thermalright provides to make it compatible with Socket 2011. Prime should have it. Basically thanks to the changed socket pattern it just needs different screws which have a height difference I think. With that you can use the Arrow on Socket 2011.
Pick up Corsair 1600MHz Vengeance or XMS3 sticks. Have been using XMS3 4GB x 6 with my Classified and Xeon for a very long time. Doesn't like being clocked but apart from that, rock stable. Also once again, Corsair's warranty policy makes me prefer Corsair more than anything else.

yes even i am planning to go for corsair vengeance LP. already using them and they are good. trying to find out if any quad channel kits are available.

Intel: Bad experience with their boards in the past. I have purchased many motherboards over the last 15 years and many of them work to this day. Intel's were the only ones that have failed on me multiple times. Since then, I have struck to Asus, MSI and Gigabyte. I haven't bought any Intel boards in the recent times, so maybe the recent ones fare better.
ASRock: Mainly because their availability and after sales always seems to be problem in our country. If you buy one and it goes bad after 6 months or an year, there is no guarantee that you will be able to get a replacement simply because of the inconsistent stocks. One might even want take the risk for a budget board, but for a high end and costly one, there is no point in trying to go for a brand that has inconsistent availability. Even now Prime seems to be only place online where they are available.

oh you meant intel boards. will stay away from them.

asrock prime is importing themselves so he will help me with warranty or gimme a replacement if anything happens. so i dont need to worry about warranty, he will take care of it for me like he has before.
lets keep warranty aside. if that warranty aspect is sorted for me like i have mentioned. will you then go for ud5 which has so many poor customer reviews with less people reccomending it or would you go for asrock extreme6. many people have infact had problems with ud5 & returned their boards etc due to problems which i simply cannot do once the system is up and running.

Are you locked onto this cooler OR are you open to other suggestions?

I would recommend you get a Noctua cooler, they will ship you the adapter kit to you free of charge as long as you have proof of purchase of an X79 motherboard [the invoice will do]. I had bought a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 recently from Prime, then I applied for a adapter kit [for AM3 socket] and I got it within the stipulated time of ~2weeks via priority air mail.

Noctua DIRECT support and their X79 adapter kit.

Also the warranty is an exceptional six years, so even if anything goes wrong you can contact their online support and they swing into help you right away. Just my suggestion, you can get whichever cooler you prefer in the end.

Hope this helped, Cheerio!!

well i already have plenty of u12p-se2. they are very nice coolers, but for 3930k i am looking for something which is better than it like silver arrow or dh14. since dh14 costs 1500 more and has same performance so i decided to go for silver arrow. need to figure out about the screws and installation on socket 2011, or will end up with dh14

techboi->rite
its a long long story, much of which even i dont know.
i guess the story lays buried with the old timers :(

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 16 GB PC RAM (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

may i suggest that for ram

ok these seem good. need to figure out the availability.

Your call, Sire, on the same tack who is responsible for the after sales support for Thermalright in India?

Last I checked it was Tirupathi Enterprises but, I had called him in connection with the Cogage TRUE Spirit adapter kit for AM3 kit. He did not have it and said that he no longer handles their after sales because it was slow moving product [so I let him have a piece of my mind, he had listed the TRUE Spirit as available on his site].

I think prime imports it himself. ask him if he has the kits. anyways for a cooler i dont think why one would need after sales support other than for a newer kit, which can also be ordered directly from abroad as its not that big.

well i already have plenty of u12p-se2. they are very nice coolers, but for 3930k i am looking for something which is better than it like silver arrow or dh14. since dh14 costs 1500 more and has same performance i decided to go for silver arrow. need to figure out about the screws and installation on socket 2011, or will end up with dh14

Your call, Sire, on the same tack who is responsible for the after sales support for Thermalright in India?

Last I checked it was Tirupathi Enterprises but, I had called him in connection with the Cogage TRUE Spirit adapter kit for AM3 kit. He did not have it and said that he no longer handles their after sales because it was slow moving product [so I let him have a piece of my mind, he had listed the TRUE Spirit as available on his site].

ok guys. have ordered this. thx for the all the help and suggestions. will keep yall posted when i get the rig setup

i7 3930k (c2) + asrock x79 extreme6 = 53800/-

Thermalright Silver Arrow = 3700/- (if it doesnt install then noctua dh14)

Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB CML8GX3M2A1333C9 x 2 = 2650/- kit 8gb = 5300/- (16gb, 4gb x 4)

Seagate 500GB 16MB cache 7200 RPM HDD = 4050/-

Seasonic S12II-620 620W Power Supply = 4500/-

If you have finalized on the thermalright and need a compatible bracket you can get it from thermalright direct. I picked up a bracket for 1156 last time for $10 using paypal, shipped and came in a week.

Get their support email id from their website and shoot an email. You don't need to get another cooler just because you don't have the bracket

If you have finalized on the thermalright and need a compatible bracket you can get it from thermalright direct. I picked up a bracket for 1156 last time for $10 using paypal, shipped and came in a week.

Get their support email id from their website and shoot an email. You don't need to get another cooler just because you don't have the bracket

ya but not now its late. i cant wait for a week. i need this setup by tuesday.

but thats good to know because if this board is fine im gonna order another same rig next week so can use silver arrow in that.

ok got the setup. thx for the help.

i7 3930k + asrock x79 extreme6
noctua dh-14
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB CML8GX3M2A1333C9 x 2

IMG-20120602-00323.jpg

IMG-20120602-00324.jpg

ok got some time today for testing.
i dint really do much. i changed the multiplier to 45 x 100 from the default 32 x 100. changed vcore to 1.3v. changed ram to default 1333 @ 1.5v.
booted the system and decided to run linx to check if the system was stable. i had low expectations of it being even close to stable.

here are the initial results which surprised me.
3930k - 4.5ghz @ 1.3v (100x45)
corsair vengeance 1333 @ 1.5v (9-9-9-24)

3930k@4500.jpg

going to tweak the settings and voltages more to find the perfect 24/7 load scenario.

the current cm 120mm fans used on top of the case for exhaust are pretty much useless.
planning to install couple of deepcool uf120 fans on top exhaust which should help. these fans have similar specs to the amazing scythe sflex so hopefully they will be good and silent.
DEEPCOOL - DC Fan - UF 120

Grats on the setup man should work out to be a good solid investment for ya :D Im looking at getting a Asrock board for a friend as well Z77 now that you have mentioned the prime thingy ill make sure friend picks it up from prime bombay and keeps the bill. Like and use Gigabyte but the interwebs is not too confident about their X79 lineup. Not sure they did great since X58 era.

ok after some testing have decided to settle on 4.3ghz @ 1.24v for 24/7 use.
working really nice and blows away the i7 920, x6 and 2600k :)

Back