CPU/Mobo suggest x79 setup

stormblast

Skilled
i7 3930k + gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 = 55300/-

i7 3930k + asrock X79 Extreme6 = 54200/-

i7 3930k + intel DX79TO = 48000/-

if there are better pricing available in bombay please let me know.

budget is around 50-55k for cpu + mobo (board should have 8 ram slots).
currently leaning towards the gigabyte ud5 combo, as i already have many giga x58 ud5 boards which havent given me any problems.

never used asrock or intel boards.

my requirement for the board is that it should be extremely stable for 24/7 usage under 100% load as its going to be used as a server. board should also have good oc options available as i plan to oc to around 4.2-4.5ghz. not interested in extra added features of the boards like usb, sli, wifi, bluetooth etc. as i am not going to use any of those now or in the future. going to attach a basic gpu for display and a single sata hdd.

asus options seem to expensive atm. pro boards are costing over 20k i think but i am open to options.

other requirements

memory - atm i require 16gb memory. 4gb x 4 low profile kits which dont interfere with aftermarket air coolers. would corsair vengeance LP kits work with x79 board.

cpu cooler - thermalright silver arrow / noctua dh14 / noctua u12p se2. need a good air cooler. not interested in water cooling. cooler should be dual fan setup with good quality silent fans.

psu - planning to get seasonic 620v2 or 520v2 if available. system is going to have a basic gpu like 7200gs and a single hdd so i think 520v2 should also do.

Stick to Asrock or Asus motherboards. Get a 3930k with the best motherboard in your budget from either Asrock or Asus.

A seasonic 520 watts may not be enough for OC, many HDDs etc.

620 might cut it.

Why do you need a 3930k though?

Stick to Asrock or Asus motherboards. Get a 3930k with the best motherboard in your budget from either Asrock or Asus.

A seasonic 520 watts may not be enough for OC, many HDDs etc.

620 might cut it.

Why do you need a 3930k though?

can u suggest some asus boards with similar quality/build like asrock extreme6 and ud5 which fit in the budget

as i have mentioned already im gonna use a single sata hdd and a 7200gs. nothing else is gonna be attached. so i was thinking 520 shd be sufficient but can get a 620 as well to be safe.

3930k is the fastest currently apart from 3960x. so getting the 3930k to get work done fast :)

Rahul - Ignore TB re. the PSU, a quality 450W unit will be enough.
Get the Intel board - very very stable, good quality components. No UEFI though, in which case the Asrock motherboard should be better. Better OCer than the Intel board as well.

A 450 watts PSU isn't enough for a 3930k oced. Just a 3930k oced to 4.5-5GHz levels takes 250-400 watts, just the CPU.

And you don't really need such a CPU to blow away your money. Even a 3770k is good enough. Unless you want to pair with at least a 680 or 7970 or if you do advanced graphic editing etc, there is no need just for nothing.

A 3770k is itself overkill, but then you can have a balanced setup with a good mobo and a good GPU :)

And Techhead, no offense, but better be safe than sorry. eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Acc to this an oced 3930k at 100% usage oced to 4.7 GHz takes 279 watts, just the CPU, without mobo, without HDDs etc.

If your system uses about 300 watts, you should ideally get 500+ watts for room, low noise, capacitor aging etc. Your system will easily use 400-500 watts under full stress testing usage.

Anything less than 620-650 watts is less for you, even if it is Seasonic.

My recommendation will be the --

ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 ~24000/-
ASUS P9X79 PRO ~22000/-

Apart from this I agree with rite, if you want to over-clock it is better to have a little headroom on the SMPS, get the Seasonic S12II 520W ~3800/- OR Corsair VX550W ~4800/- [if you can find it] equivalent SMPS.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

rite stop digging your own grave mate, stormblast knows what he is doing.

And before you start chewing us out, here is a head to head benchmark(s) between the Core i7 3770k and the Core i7 3930k. The Ivy-Bridge chip leads in the lightly threaded department and single-threaded performance whilst in multi-threaded benches the Sandy-BridgeE chip has a considerable lead. If OP is using it for server purpose it is in its element.

My recommendation will be the --

ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 ~24000/-
ASUS P9X79 PRO ~22000/-

Apart from this I agree with rite, if you want to over-clock it is better to have a little headroom on the SMPS, get the Seasonic S12II 520W ~3800/- OR Corsair VX550W ~4800/- [if you can find it] equivalent SMPS.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!
rite stop digging your own grave mate, stormblast knows what he is doing.

ya which is why i have mentioned seasonic 620w which should be fine.

asus boards are too costly. going way over budget.

thinking abt the asrock extreme6
@rite - thx but i have already finalised the cpu. dont want others and i dont need a gpu.

Last edited by a moderator:
But better be safe than sorry. eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Acc to this an oced 3930k at 100% usage oced to 4.7 GHz takes 279 watts, just the CPU, without mobo, without HDDs etc.

OP has clearly mentioned that he --
  • going to use a single SATA hard-drive, not hard-drives.
  • a nVidia 7200GS for display, not a GTX 680 / AMD HD 7970.

So seriously what is the need for more than ~550W even in the most extreme situations.

ya which is why i have mentioned seasonic 620w which should be fine.

Seasonic after sales service is not reliable, atleast that is the picture that I has emerged after a variety of replies and feedbacks on TE itself, will tell you to avoid it if possible.

Go for the following in the order --

Corsair TX V2 650W ~5600/-
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 ~6000/- [a modular SMPS]
Seasonic S12II 620W ~4800/-

Can you source this SMPS from anywhere, because this will be apt for your RIG + modular. If you can get it in India, I am also on the look out for the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

OP has clearly mentioned that he --
  • going to use a single SATA hard-drive, not hard-drives.
  • a nVidia 7200GS for display, not a GTX 680 / AMD HD 7970.

So seriously what is the need for more than ~550W even in the most extreme situations.

Seasonic after sales service is not reliable, atleast that is the picture that I has emerged after a variety of replies and feedbacks on TE itself, will tell you to avoid it if possible.

Go for the following in the order --

Corsair TX V2 650W ~5600/-
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 ~6000/- [a modular SMPS]
Seasonic S12II 620W ~4800/-

Can you source this SMPS from anywhere, because this will be apt for your RIG + modular. If you can get it in India, I am also on the look out for the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

i have been using seasonic 520v2 and they are good. i had problem with 1 of them being doa. got a new piece in around 4-5days as the stock was over.

I didn't include any component to come at 279 watts. 279 watts is without the motherboard, without RAM etc.

With a motherboard, 4 dimms RAM, no GPU practically, 1 HDD it becomes like 400-450 watts.

If I know that my system will pull out 400+ watts, and even if noise doesn't bother me, I would still go for 600-650+ from a superb brand, this is assuming noise doesn't bother me. Because after 50% usage noise becomes bad.

I would take the Gigabyte X79 combo.
I would stick with a Corsair PSU only because of their excellent RMA service compared to others.
Asrock boards maybe good but as we talked earlier, you only told me who imports them so in case of some issues with the board, how quick is the RMA going to be ? Think about it since you are about to spend close to 20k on a motherboard.

Techboy ? Just a wild guess

Okay thanks for that Sire [if Bikey calls you his bestest Guru, then you are like über- senior Sire for me], so now I know TB =/= tuberculosis here, then who is techboy? They did not post here did they?

Okay thanks for that Sire [if Bikey calls you his bestest Guru, then you are like über- senior Sire for me], so now I know TB =/= tuberculosis here, then who is techboy? They did not post here did they?

Sire! Come on man. Bikey is a very old friend.I am sure he was just pulling my leg,thats all. I am a tech enthusiast just like you. Hardware has been my original passion. Was sidelined a bit recently but now getting back to it. :)
Aah 'Who is Techboy?' ... That's a very long and old story LOL.

I have a hard time trusting in Intel or Asrock when reliability is important. Would suggest to go with Gigabyte or Asus for the board. As for PSU, a good 500W or above from Corsair should do.

And yeah, just ignore whatever TB has to say. The system power consumption stays at 400W @ 4.7GHz even with a GTX580. You shouldn't need more than a 500W PSU ideally.

Intel Core i7-3820 vs. Core i7-2700K and Core i7-3930K. Page 8 - X-bit labs

well any reason u say that about intel and asrock?
i am using plenty of i7s and xeons in office and havent had a problem with them yet.
have never used asrock but have heard many good things about it.

i myself prefer giga over all boards and then asus. but giga x79 has some very bad customer reviews so i am unsure and i dont know if i should go for it. cannot waste time troubleshooting the bios. or hardware. many people are reccomending against it. usually i would have taken the ud5 blindly after already owning x58ud5 & amd 890 ud5, ud3s, but very unsure about x79.
are you talking from personal experience of using gigabyte x79ud5 then i might consider it again knowing someone here has a good positive review.

as far as asus goes the x79 is out of my budget.

ya as i said about the psu i guess will go for seasonic 620

so right now it looks somewhat like. this is not final. still open to options.

i7 3930k + asrock x79 extreme6

Thermalright Silver Arrow - will socket 1366 will work on socket 2011?

Seagate 500GB 16MB cache 7200 RPM HDD

Seasonic S12II-620 620W Power Supply

still deciding on ram. trying to find some decent quad channel ram @ 1600mhz

Seagate 500GB 16MB cache 7200 RPM HDD

Seasonic S12II-620 620W Power Supply

still deciding on ram. trying to find some decent quad channel ram @ 1600mhz

You will need a basic adapter kit Thermalright provides to make it compatible with Socket 2011. Prime should have it. Basically thanks to the changed socket pattern it just needs different screws which have a height difference I think. With that you can use the Arrow on Socket 2011.
Pick up Corsair 1600MHz Vengeance or XMS3 sticks. Have been using XMS3 4GB x 6 with my Classified and Xeon for a very long time. Doesn't like being clocked but apart from that, rock stable. Also once again, Corsair's warranty policy makes me prefer Corsair more than anything else.

well any reason u say that about intel and asrock?
i am using plenty of i7s and xeons in office and havent had a problem with them yet.
have never used asrock but have heard many good things about it.

Intel: Bad experience with their boards in the past. I have purchased many motherboards over the last 15 years and many of them work to this day. Intel's were the only ones that have failed on me multiple times. Since then, I have struck to Asus, MSI and Gigabyte. I haven't bought any Intel boards in the recent times, so maybe the recent ones fare better.
ASRock: Mainly because their availability and after sales always seems to be problem in our country. If you buy one and it goes bad after 6 months or an year, there is no guarantee that you will be able to get a replacement simply because of the inconsistent stocks. One might even want take the risk for a budget board, but for a high end and costly one, there is no point in trying to go for a brand that has inconsistent availability. Even now Prime seems to be only place online where they are available.

Are you locked onto this cooler OR are you open to other suggestions?

I would recommend you get a Noctua cooler, they will ship you the adapter kit to you free of charge as long as you have proof of purchase of an X79 motherboard [the invoice will do]. I had bought a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 recently from Prime, then I applied for a adapter kit [for AM3 socket] and I got it within the stipulated time of ~2weeks via priority air mail.

Noctua DIRECT support and their X79 adapter kit.

Also the warranty is an exceptional six years, so even if anything goes wrong you can contact their online support and they swing into help you right away. Just my suggestion, you can get whichever cooler you prefer in the end.

Hope this helped, Cheerio!!

Aah 'Who is Techboy?' ... That's a very long and old story.

So who is Techboy? I am partial to story's; particularly history --> military history to be precise. That doesn't mean I don't want to pick up some of the local lore about TE :angel:.

Back