Video suggest 42" TV for 50k

moshel

Adept
There may be 50 other threads over here asking for suggestions on buying lcd/plasma and I have gone through a lot of them, just didn't find a proper answer so finally decided to make a thread of my own.

the model nos are all just so messed up, why do manufacturers have to make it so complicated???

anyways here's my query...
Display: LCD or Plasma
size: 42"
budget: 40 - 50k.......Will be on finance so i think i might be able to stretch a little more to like 60k or so
desired features: 1080p resolution, 100Hz, USB input, lots of connectivity options, good sound
brands: LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Onida, Videocon :S

Thanks in advance,
Moshel

^ Where are you getting it for 50-55k ?? is it with bill or grey ??

I'm also looking for something around 50k max, visited chroma and a few other shops and the only decent buy I found was the Samsung 37B530 ... maybe I need to check out a few more places :p

just came back after a demo of the Panasonic 42S10, the TV is good no doubt. However, the text was not sharp. maybe because we were standing close, but even when we were a bit away, like 10 feet, it was not sharp.

on the other hand a 37" LCD had very sharp text on it.

btw I went to a Panasonic brand showroom, he quoted me 72K. but without my asking he came down to 59K. I like the TV being it a plasma which would give me hardened glass surface (kids proof i say) and 1080p resolution. but will still look around

I think you should get a LCD unless your going to watch it in a dark room, although you'll have to compromise on the display size if you go with the LCD :(

@vercetti : Whats the verdict on the LG ?? seems to be very good value for money at that price :O

anyone else who's seen the LG please adder :p you opinions

for text,the ips panel will produce a sharper image,including the moving text u see in news channel,but the overall SD performance ain't as good as the sammy and sony.
about the plasma well it won't look as sharp as a lcd,but if it was realy blury then it has do with settings,plus the panasonic plasma is not the best in SD ,also do note some people can see dithering more,atleast i do.
the disadvantage of the lg is obviously the lack of good black levels,hence lose in details under some scenes,the poor blacks will also be annoying at the night,for those people who have been used to a crt or a even a plasma.
personaly i would prefer the samsung B530 according CI price its around 55k.

The LG one looks good on paper...will go to LG showroom to demo it.

But my heart says to go for Panasonic....on the other hand i don't like the washed out text, saw the C10 model in another shop today and the problem was the same.

is it a basic problem with plasma displays that the text always looks washed out?

any other LCD's anyone got in mind? I will demo it...anything from Samsung worth looking for?

one more thing, LG has come up with a couple of models with a stronger front side of the TV. unlike conventional LCDs where the display is comparatively delicate. Is that good?

You could check out the Sony 40S550 or the Samsung 40B530 ... I've been considering the same, although the sony is priced close to 60k

moshel said:
The LG one looks good on paper...will go to LG showroom to demo it.

But my heart says to go for Panasonic....on the other hand i don't like the washed out text, saw the C10 model in another shop today and the problem was the same.

is it a basic problem with plasma displays that the text always looks washed out?

any other LCD's anyone got in mind? I will demo it...anything from Samsung worth looking for?

one more thing, LG has come up with a couple of models with a stronger front side of the TV. unlike conventional LCDs where the display is comparatively delicate. Is that good?

well plasmas as of today are not as sharp as lcds.the problem why u may not see text as clearly is due to dithering found in plasmas,some people see them other don't.but u can see them.
for ur budget u are not going to get any great lcds,the samsung B530 is available at a slightly higher price of around 55k,u can also check the sony S550A the better option for SD.

finallly.....I think I have made a decision. by tomorrow (13th October) I will give documents for loan and hopefully I will get the TV in time for Diwali....

one last query or a quick poll I should say.

The finalists are:

LG PQ30 / PQ70

Pros:

looks good

picture quality is wonderful. the dithering of text on the panasonic which i saw was not visible on this one

Cons:

768p max resolution

sound quality so-so

2. Samsung 40B530

Pros:

Picture Quality is great

no problems in scrollers and fast moving objects even though it is just 50hz
Cons:

looks not so stunning

50Hz

picture quality is lot like my 2233SW

frankly speaking, its only the 768p resolution thats holding me off from buying the LG. The colors did look more natural on the plasma than on the LCD.

last minute suggestions???

Thanks for your help everyone....

Regards,

Moshel

Do we get Sharp LCD TVs ??

Asking because at couple of places i read that all these Korean giants like LG, Samsung use sharp panels in their LCDs. No sure how true it is. I suppose Sharp has Aquos series but have no clue how good / bad it is.

raksrules said:
Do we get Sharp LCD TVs ??
Asking because at couple of places i read that all these Korean giants like LG, Samsung use sharp panels in their LCDs. No sure how true it is. I suppose Sharp has Aquos series but have no clue how good / bad it is.

well sharp lcds was the former no 1,but todays lcds of sharp are just average performing lcd.its contrast levels aren't as good as SPVA/AMVA based lcds that u get from sony/sharp.they also suffer from banding,whether one can notice it depends upon the user.there image processing isn't great either.
but that may all change with sharps new line of lcds tv launching next month in japan,it has a new lcd tech called UV2A,which uses UV light to alter the shape of the crystals,so what u get is lower response time in micro seconds vs milli seconds of current lcd tech.also improved contrast of 5000:1 from current sharps company claimed of 2000:1,it also now refreshes at 240hz compared to 60hz of todays lcd.
these sharp panels are also to be used by sony in their upcoming 2010 3D lcd tvs,thanks to the lower response time and higher refresh rate.

hi
can someone tell me whether a lcd is better suited for playing xbox or plasma?
Also i am getting LG Jazz 42inch for 53k, is it worth the deal?

Back