Linux Stop saying that the linux desktop looks bad!!!

could u make some more sense plz. Can't read a word u say bro.
i am seeing even if linux is better no noob will install. because they think its too complicated. he will just go what is default even if that means win 98. today most installs are just point and click,still no one wants to even try.

asdf1223 said:
i am seeing even if linux is better no noob will install. because they think its too complicated. he will just go what is default even if that means win 98. today most installs are just point and click,still no one wants to even try.

That is partly FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt) & partly true. There is a new filesystem & a more transparent way of doing things. While windows will try to lock u to a set way of things GNU/Linux will open up to more possibilities. Of course that means a change of attitude but tht's not why the noobs bought a PC in the first place. AFA the ads are concerned or even public understanding the PC is supposed to give more "wings to u'r imagination" to coin one of the ad campaigns. So use GNU/Linux move to a cheaper, healthier, sharing & ethical way of doing things. Put more content & see the results.

I do have one request from the community, we have an free/open source software which needs a voice-over in Marathi. A friend of ours has made translation of Gcompris & they need a girl/woman who has a clear voice to record the instructions. It's a 1/2 hr. thing in the studio. If anybody is interested plz. pm me or mail me. Thnx in advance.

For those of you with older graphics card, you can check out aiglx (instead of cgl) with compiz. Tried it out today and looks pretty interesting.
It's working pretty well on an integrated intel 855GM chipset.

Installation of Linux is very simple i personally would say even simpler then windows, and desktops look much better on Linux then on windows, so i personally don't see the point of this topic. :clap:

Tried installing a distro called backtrack since I was interested in all the hax0ring and stuff. Somehow (I assume) I managed to overwrite my winxp bootloader and it stopped loading. Had to do a complete format. Installing linux is a pain in the arse.

You guys are going way off base. We are talking about how Linux looks...

Tried installing a distro called backtrack since I was interested in all the hax0ring and stuff. Somehow (I assume) I managed to overwrite my winxp bootloader and it stopped loading. Had to do a complete format. Installing linux is a pain in the arse.

Well, clearly you aren't competent, so why the hell are you even trying to do any "hax0ring"? You shouldn't start off with climbing Everest, if you want to learn mountaineering. As it is, if you did overwrite XP's bootloader, you definitely don't need to reformat. You are definitely not a power user if you reinstalled, so why pretend?

Lol, which part of that post did you interpret as self-congratulatory? You need to go work on your comprehension skills buddy boy. I never claimed to be some hotshot geek wizard or anything, I just pointed out that I fsked my system up even though I followed everything that was stated in every single linux n00b site on the internet.

And I'm sorry if I offend you in any way but you and your linux skills can just go kiss my ass if you're just sitting here to point out that only experienced users have a right to post.

I simply stated a point. If you are going to be a haxor, you should start off with being a novice. Trust me, that is all I am.

And if you want to be a novice, stick with Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Mandriva or one of the simpler point and click distros.

Secondly, why the hell did you reformat if you lost the boot loader?

What I take offense to is simply the fact that you claim Linux is unusable (or in your words - "a pain in the ass to install"), while the truth was that you chose to bite off more than you can chew. If you asked me to setup a Windows active domain controller using a self-scripted unattended install and I screwed it up, it would hardly be because Windows is difficult to install - it would be because I was going too fast for my own good.

^ Point taken, apologies for my previous post : ). I know I bit off more than I could chew, I never meant that linux is bad, hell, from what I've heard it beats the stuffing out of windows.

But if you see it from a newb/beginners PoV installing linux is definitely pretty weird. What with the partitioning and all the stuff, the warnings alone put me off for about 2 weeks :p. Of course I'm assuming that better/user friendly distros are available and what I picked up was actually meant for someone with a little more sense.

The installation of any OS is always weird from a beginner's POV. Something which impressed me about ubuntu is that a friend of mine with just a few weeks experience with using a computer managed to install Ubuntu completely on his own after I explained to him how to delete one of his windows partition to create free space.

But this discussion is going out of focus, anyway which among XGL or AIGLX would be better for my system with the intel GMA 900 integrated graphics? Also, I tried using XFCE's composite manager with the X Composite extension enabled, and while it allows for some nice effects like transparancy, it is slow for some operations like transparent moving/resising of windows. Is there any way to optimise this (Enlightenment could do this quite a bit faster on my 8 year old PC!)?

@elite - Cool man. Don't worry about me. I just like to have fun on these forums.

Yes, partitioning is scary. But that can be true of Windows too, if you have to do all of it. The best bet, is to have exactly that much amount of free space on your hdd that you want to assign to linux. Then tell the auto partitioner to use all the free space available for Linux. Then you are fine.

If your entire drive is free (as in the case of a single boot Windows), then it is just as easy as Windows (or maybe easier).

The main problem is that people install Windows as a first OS (no need to preserve any other stuff), while Linux is invariably a second install. When you do it the other way (I do that a lot because Windows gets corrupted and needs a reformat, while the multiple Linux/BSD distros are clean), then Windows overwrites GRUB (or whatever other bootloader you choose), which I find irritating. At least Linux offers you a choice (and generally auto-detects and adds Windows too). It is a minor problem for me, but annoying none the less.

@Ujjwal, I don't think XGL will even run, neither will AIGLX. I mean, you won't get any of the fancy compositing effects, so it will be a waste. You do need a minimum Radeon/NV to run, and even a low powered card works fine.

@Ujjwal

I have Compiz (with AIGLX) running on an integrated intel 855GM chipset. Some of the effects works without any noticeable lag. A few others, mainly the wobbly for some reason, seems to bring down my system to a crawl.

A few days back I got the latest dev version of compiz running on a dell xps 1210 (nvidia 7400go) and its working like a charm. glxgears gives a neat 2400fps. Without composite enabled, the fps was close to the 3k mark.

With the latest version of Nvidia's binary drivers, you don't need either AIGLX or XGL. Installation is a breeze!

@KingKrool

Your bang on target there. Most people don't realize that installing XP on an Ubuntu system can be just as painful (or even more!) than doing it the other way round.

PS: How many of you here feel that the fonts look way better on Ubuntu than on XP? (and yes, I have cleartype enabled in XP).

As of the 1.0-9625 BETA release, the NVIDIA UNIX graphics drivers support the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension required by the compiz OpenGL-based window/composite manager.

Source

Its working fine with their latest driver (9746).

Back