Linux Stop saying that the linux desktop looks bad!!!

XGL could have been a good initiative 3 years back. not now friend. OSX already has all these features plus its not heavy on resources. Also it wont need a tedious driver upgrade.
So once again linux is no nOOb business.

Wait a minute - I thought we were talking about Linux vs Windows here. In that case I can say the same about Avalon - OSX had such features 3 years ago. Admit it - OSX kicks everyone's a$$ in the looks department.

Point well taken sire!

I wasnt comparin XGL to OSX just wanted to iterate that it looks like a much crappier duplication of a hugely successful UI environment. Even windows is far better as compared to wat XGL can do. Take an example of XP MS ppl have doce really good job with the GDI this time around and with XML support in skins u know wat scalable skinnability we are talkin here.

KingKrool said:
Wait a minute - I thought we were talking about Linux vs Windows here. In that case I can say the same about Avalon - OSX had such features 3 years ago. Admit it - OSX kicks everyone's a$$ in the looks department.
If its just the look of the desktop, Sure OSX kicks everyone's a$$. If its tech behind the desktop, OSX stands no chance compared to avalon. They have a pathetic way of accessing OpenGL so if you run any GL app along with the 'bling bling' desktop, it'll be slow as hell... for the record, q4 runs at <40fps @640 on a dual 2.7GHz G5, X800XT

I am quite aware if that. Frnakly, I don't think anyone ever made peformance oriented drivers for OSX. Otherwise, why would it be so damn bad in full screen mode? When the bling bling desktop is down and out?

delhiboy1000 said:
i'm no programmer so excuse me for dis el stupido Q-but y cant developers make Linux a Point-&-click OS ? Wats d big need for a console based thingy..??

there is a book title "point and click" its based on mephis which is based on debian and easy to install. KDE also has the ability to point and click to install pkgs. the programm name is callled klick!

How come I didn't see this thread before. Well I've been a free/open-source guy alongwith Windows for atleast 5 yrs. My first interaction with GNU/Linux was 1997 with PC Quest Linux. Now shifting between Windows XP+Autopatcher & Ubuntu 6.06 2.6.15-25-386 kernel :) . From morning till late afternoon 4 p.m. on the Windows platform & from 4 p.m. to late night on GNU/Linux. AFA desktop is concerned Ubuntu has really made some headaway. I would be doing a tute/intro. for the babies in the coming week & I've just been amazed by the jump made by the guys between 5.10 & 6.06. Will also be interacting with the FF 3.0a alpha testers sometime soon as it'll be killer to see 3.0a on GNU/Linux. :)

well i had no prob with installing my graphics card drivers, since i didnt had to install any drivers on my FC5 :hap2: way the go Fedora Core Team :clap:

marius26 u should tell what graphics card/chipset u had so one knows. Most of the integrated graphic chipsets are already there in the kernel module like i845, i915 etc.

i couldnt even get to access my ntfs volume with it

We are not tlaking about linux in general here. We are talking about how it looks.

Period.

As for your ntfs problem, there are 10 easy ways to fix it. And what is wrong with RPMs? You download .msi and .exe installers for windows, you dld rpms for linux. Big deal.

with rpm's there was always issues I got as a user. Most of the time it was the dependency hell & then I discovered debian .deb apt-get & heaven all at the same time.

anyone who thinks linux looks bad should seriously try enabling xgl... looks awsome.. but i guess turning up the eyecandy seriously eats perfomarnce..

but i dont think linux is worth for n00bs

1) the os hes gonna install is probably wat his installer/uncle recommends and no way that is going to be linux.

2)its 2 good for them

asdf1223 said:
anyone who thinks linux looks bad should seriously try enabling xgl... looks awsome.. but i guess turning up the eyecandy seriously eats perfomarnce..
but i dont think linux is worth for n00bs
1) the os hes gonna install is probably wat his installer/uncle recommends and no way that is going to be linux.
2)its 2 good for them

could u make some more sense plz. Can't read a word u say bro.

Back