Sony Xperia S/P/U/Sola/GO Thread

Try Paranoid Android..Great rom and avatar rom(great themes)also released for Xperia s..Try them to check what suit your needs. check xda for all roms.

I'm currently on PA with Nova Kernel 1.4
So far so good but i have a feeling that in the long run i would be kicking myself for getting a Sony due to the lack of dev support but maybe the AOSP being developed by sony can change things around and get more people interested

Guys i need help with an Xperia U of a friend of mine. She bought the phone with GB installed and wants to update the phone to official ICS.
Can it be updated over the air? If not then can you point me to a link that provides info on manual updating of the phone to official ICS?

I won't be able to be a part of this thread any longer :(. @Comp@addict

Any chance of seeing a Xperia Z thread here soon? ;)

NO No NO, Please do keep posting on this thread as well at least keep solving my problems. Hahah. You are partly the reason why I own an XS today, please keep active here, you are probably the most knowledgeable about Xperia products, we do need you here.

Need help guys.

I have rooted my phone with the steps mentioned here [ROOT] Firmware 6.1.1.B.1.54 - xda-developers . Let me put in a perspective of what I did.

1. Downloaded the stuff.
2. Factory reset the phone.
3. Flashed the phone with 6.1.1.B.1.10 and rooted the device using shell script.

Now the issue is .

1. Even though I have flashed the phone it still shows the version as 6.1.1.B.1.54 . Also I am getting update notifcation from Sony? Should I install the update /
2. Before factory reseting I did flashed once but the phone retained all the setting and data ? Is that normal ?
3. Even though I've rooted the device I still cna't remove factory loaded apps like Chrome and FB ?

Whats CWM and how do I install it ? I downloaded a Rom Manager but not sure what is it ? Also will I be needing CWM to install 3rd party ROM?

I am planning to give MIUI a shot. What else I need to do ?

Also what settings I can do once I have rooted the device. Please do list some handful tuts for getting started with overclocking and cpu profiling and other handful tweaks I can do.

P.s - This is my first attempt ::p

Tagging - randomuser111 comp@ddict

Edit - I guess the update is showing cause the ftf was not the Indian vers ?

^^ CWM (ClockWorkMod Recovery) is a third-party recovery program for your Sola that replaces the stock one. Apart from needing it to install custom ROMs, using CWM you can take out backups (nandroid) of your stock official ROM (for later use or in case warranty needs to be claimed) and any other custom ROM you install. If you are done rooting your phone, CWM can be installed using ROM Manager in your phone. It searches for the CWM build for your phone before downloading and installing it.
There must be quite a few ROMs for the Sola, you can try as many as you want before deciding on a daily driver. Whatever you do, make sure to make a nandroid backup before every flashing/installation of a new ROM. You can do away with that once you get more confident/habituated to the entire process.

Actually, this should be a walk in the park for you considering how comfortable you are with Linux/running commands. Just follow whatever instructions that are included in a thread to the T. In case of doubts/mistakes, search XDA and make generous use of 'Search this Thread' option (something i resorted to often in the initial days). I say the because XDA members tend to be a bit harsh when answering doubts/queries of newbies to the process.

Also I am not able to install anything from google play ! Any idea why - it just keep showing downloading but download won't start.

Net is working fine.

^^ Flashing was unsuccessfully I doubt that since the Flashtool showed the it was successful.

It has been rooted just used su and many other su commands at terminal along with did a backup of the current rom using CWM.
comp@ddict - Please pass me some link to Indian ftf.

Edit- I still cannot install apps from Play store. Everytime I click download it gets stuck and to make the d/w complete I have to restart the phone again and again

Back