Smartphone For My Dad Below 18K

sam249

Disciple
I want to gift a mobile for my dad.

He uses gmail & camera apart from calling

Any good choices to make & best deal for that?

I'm considering one of the following

Xperia Arc (dealers warranty ones in ebay)

Xperia Ray

Neo V

Defy+

or

any others?

Plz help

The Arc is a no brainer if you are ready to risk losing the warranty. Else, Neo V has a bigger screen and HDMI out, while the Ray has a better camera (and higher pixel density of screen due to smaller screen), otherwise not much difference. You can rule out the Defy+ because it will not get ICS update officially (you will get custom ROMs though), inferior cam, inferior screen, inferior GPU.

For parents i would suggest Windows phone devices.. Those big fonts and tiles really help.

Look for samsung omnia w (more preferred) or lumia 710 - doesn't look worth 19k and the small buttons don't help (although thats my opinion) but nokia has a special place in the hearts of our parents .

thanks for reply. we all got used to android phones very much after symbian era. i didnt thought about W7 phones seriously. are there any other phones apart from ray/arc/neo v & what do you think of dealers warranty

No experience regarding dealer's warranty.

But i feel more secure if i have manufacturers warranty and also its difficult explaining parents why their handset doesn't have warranty if something goes wrong.

Since it will be your dads phone, you or he wont be rooting or unlocking bootloader of the phone.

For parents i would suggest Windows phone devices.. Those big fonts and tiles really help.

Look for samsung omnia w (more preferred) or lumia 710 - doesn't look worth 19k and the small buttons don't help (although thats my opinion) but nokia has a special place in the hearts of our parents .

Handled the Lumia 710 in a Hotspot a few days ago. It was pretty smooth. I felt if it was priced ~15K it would've been a great mid-range phone. But at a price of 18-19K, i'd go for

a LG O2X instead. But WP7 looks really polished.

@OP. Out of the phones you listed, the Neo V and Ray has the best cameras, IINM. And like some one said above, if warranty is not a concern, the Arc is a good option.

my dad is in 50s

its Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 not arc i've seen in ebay under dealer warranty which suits my budget.

i dont understand the difference between two except screen size

I would add Nokia 701 to your list. People seriously underestimate that phone. It has the latest Symbian Belle, with the world's brightest screen and also 8mp camera.​

Also if you were to extend your budget a bit, then Nokia Lumia 710. But the only con i found in that was lack of memory expansion. Serioulsy what is Microsoft thinking?​

You also have the old HTC Mozart with WP7.​

Dude I am using the lumia 710 for almost a month now and totally loving it...

The screen is very very good, pretty bright and blacks are good, the buttons are not too small, but then you might have huge hands
<

I posted the review here...

http://techforumindia.com/index.php?topic=5689.0

Do consider the optimus 2x and the Omnia W too, great phones in this price range..

Btw, the lumia 710 might get a price cut soon
<

Go for Bada device Wave-2 as it is Simle to use. I have also gifted My dad Wave-2 and he is extremely happy. Its very easy to use and handle. Battery life is also very good . Charging required only once in a week. It is ideal for those who are not so tech savvy but wants to handle advance technology.

Go for Bada device Wave-2 as it is Simle to use. I have also gifted My dad Wave-2 and he is extremely happy. Its very easy to use and handle. Battery life is also very good . Charging required only once in a week. It is ideal for those who are not so tech savvy but wants to handle advance technology.

Why i think bada is not great

-Its even more uglier than android (for future- ice cream sandwich looks very good)

-Apps- quantity and quality both are bad

-Windows phone os launched after it and is doing better than it

-3rd party developers are not serious about it being a competitive platform

OP mentions dad uses gmail it makes sense to buy android then as native app is present only in android and ios.

Take a look at samsung galaxy R(20k)-4.2 inch screen,dual core,1gb ram,good out of the box performance,ics upgrade in q2,5mp camera with 720p.

And also SE Neo v(16-17k)-3.7 inch screen,single core,512 mb ram,good out of the box perfomance,ics upgrade in march,5mp camera with 720p.

Dude I am using the lumia 710 for almost a month now and totally loving it...

Dude, how is the music quality on Lumia 710? GSMArena have told that its not good at all and the battery life too is on the lower side in their tests.

i didnt thought about W7 phones seriously.

If you are considering Lumia 710, know its limitations (rather WP7 limitations). It doesn't support USB mass storage mode, It doesn't allow Bluetooth file transfer, It doesn't recognize other formats except audio - .mp3 .wma .m4a video - .mp4 .wmv photo - .jpeg, you cannot transfer anything other than these files to your phone, most of its novelties require good internet connection.

So if your dad doesnt connect the phone to PC much, doesn't sideload many files and loves simplicity go for WP7 (Omnia W else Lumia 710).

Else buy Neo V. If you want rugged phone, go for Defy+.

go for the Nokia Lumia 710 it has easy and beautiful Graphic User Interface has a a tough protection of corning gorilla glass and has a big screen, the WP7 OS looks amazing have used and could not get enough of it....the camera quality is also top class for a cell phone under 18k

Back