Sleeping Dogs - Discussion Thread

Played the game for three hours and here is what i think.

Let me start off with the game play,there is nothing new about it. what you find in any other open world game like saints,mafia,batman AC,the same you will find here as well.but what makes it intresting is the way have been implemented,everything is very streamlined and has been designed in a way that it makes you feel like you are playing an Honk kong action movie, fans of johnny to, and john woo movies will feel right at home.the game also as a levelling system which is very stream lined it wont be like the ones you see in your typical Action RPG,atleast it wont be like how it was in dark siders 2.the fighting mechanics has bee lifted stright from batman AC with a minor change which is using your environment as your weapon,you can kill your enemies in so many diffrent ways that it is grotesque as well as very entertaining.when it comes to driving,all your real world physics has been chucked out of the window in favor for unrealistic,easy to drift driving mechanic.again the way this game plays will make you feel like your watching an HK action movie.you also get your standard fetch missions,camera hacking mini games,dating just like GTA 4.there is an online feature in the game called social hub where you get to compare stats with your friends or even challenge them in certain areas like racing.

Now onto the graphics,The world of Sleeping dogs has been crafted in such a way that you get to know what it feels to be in HK without actually being there,all the NPC's look believable,the neon lights hanging around the city to the smoke field kitchen rooms and the elders playing mahjong in every nook and corner of the back alleys everything has been put there inorder for you to get the Honkong feel.there maybe some complaints about the character models being bad and the characters dont emote well,so far from what i have seen what they have done with characters seems just enough and makes the story believable.

As for the story,i cant really comment on that as i havent completed it yet but so far it has been good really good.

Overall the game is GREAT ,its fun to play and thats the only thing matters.

PLayed it on the PC btw

hey guys i got this game non disk version.Hope you understood. Now the problem is whenever i try to execute it i get white screen and nothing happens.
i have read on forums many people getting this error too especially those os is not on c drive.There is a fix for e,g drives but mine is in "F" drive.
Any solutions?
Does this problem occurs in retail ones too?

Runnning it on a 8800GT smooth as a butter ,the game looks utterly brilliant with all the setting turned up and without that much comprimise on the frame rate.

hey guys i got this game non disk version.Hope you understood. Now the problem is whenever i try to execute it i get white screen and nothing happens.
i have read on forums many people getting this error too especially those os is not on c drive.There is a fix for e,g drives but mine is in "F" drive.
Any solutions?
Does this problem occurs in retail ones too?
Hey i too am having this problem.
I considered getting the retail discs but then again 1k for a game like this is too much.

lol even if the game goes on sale i dont think it will more than a 30% cut ,indian price is the cheapest we are getting the game for like 19$ i really doubt it would go any lower than 35 or 30

Alright guys try to get this one for pc.Though the ps3 version looks good enough but there is fps problem.Otherwise it is ok.Finished the demo.

Started with this game yesterday evening. To my dismay the game didn't let me re-configure the movement keys from a default WASD setup to arrow keys (yes I'm one those people who are used to arrow keys for movement). So resorted to GlovePie and settled that. Controls seem a bit wobbly in-game, specially while running around. Other than that playing through the missions have been fun so far.

Ummm Souptik, I think you should try the X360 controller for third person titles such as these. Pretty sure you'll love it. Give it a try sometime. :p

@Gannu: Man I get so frustrated when I try controllers, it's like my fingers get all messed up, LOL!! But your right it's titles like these that shine with a controller, the moment my character started to sprint in the game (in the very first mission!) I felt it.

Btw... any pointers to the camera-hacking in the game? I mean it's like you have to guess all 4 numbers and then crack it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea! Haven't tried it yet. Probably this Sunday it is. Why don't you Google it? There must be some solution to it on the web.

im done with the game.. the story line was predictable yet enjoyable.. fights were real deal at times but the combos are way too many to use them all specially with crowded fights..

Back