Samsung P2350 23" Full HD Monitor

Hey guys, this is my first review ever, so pardon my mistakes if any!

Well, I was in a lot of dilemma as to which monitor would suit my budget of 12k best. The confusion initially was between the Dell 2209W, Benq G2412HD, Samsung 2233SW and the Dell 2409. I'd been to a couple of stores to check out the Dell and Samsung. Wasn't really blown away by either of the monitors considering I was upgrading from a 19" Viewsonic VA 1912WB. Then saw that Samsung had released a new series of monitors - so called Lavender series. Saw a few images online and the Specs were pretty impressive too. So i decided to take the risk as no proper reviews were available online.

Here are the images of the packaging. The accessories included were only a VGA Cable, Power Cable, Manual and the Driver discs.

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

[BREAK=Controls & Specifications]

Here are the impressive specs of the monitor, have copied it from the Samsung Website:

Specs.jpg

The monitor controls are done not by ordinary buttons, but feather touch buttons. The button LEDs light up on the slightest touch. The LEDs also switch off automatically after a few seconds. Brightness of the LED can be adjusted too. They need a little getting used to, coz finding the right point can be tricky at the start. The exterior panel is glossy with ToC(Touch of Color) finish as can be seen in the images.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

[BREAK=Images and Video]

Here is how the monitor looks in real with HD Wallpapers. It is great to say the least, especially at the given price point. Color reproduction is pretty accurate and the viewing angles are not too bad either. The vertical viewing angles aren't all that great just like the other monitors in the same price range. HD content is a treat to watch. Plain text is also very crisp and causes no strain on the eye.
Let the pics do the talking!

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Here's how good the side viewing angle is:
IMG_0425.jpg

And recorded a small video of the GI Joe Trailer. Recording quality of the Canon S5IS is very mediocre, but u can still see how crisp and vibrant the video looks. (Please try and view the HQ version).
YouTube - GI Joe Trailer(PART)

[BREAK=Final Verdict]

If you're on a tight budget and cannot afford an IPS panel monitor, you're next best bet would be the Samsung Lavender series monitor. The total price I paid for it was Rs. 11,900 inclusive of tax in Bangalore.

PROS:
1) Very high Dynamic Contrast.
2) Fast 2ms response time is great for gaming and fast moving images to avoid ghosting.
3) Can differentiate between all degrees of blacks. Not so with the degrees of white. Have to turn down contrast and it gets better!
4) More features compared to any other monitor at the same price range.
5) Amber color blended into Samsung’s piano black bezel frame gives it a classy look. (Just like their HDTVs )

CONS:
1) Slight backlight bleed on the top and bottom edges.
2) Magic Color has a variable result, making certain videos look good and the other not so good :p
3) No DVI Cable Included.
4) Lacking HDMI Input.
I would certainly recommend anyone to buy this monitor as it adds class n quality to your desktop without much compromise in performance! As far as the After Sales Service is concerned, Samsung is great without doubt. From what I could comprehend after reviewing all the monitors, the Samsung Lavender Series would beat the 2233SW, Dell 2209W and the BenQ variants with ease.
P.S: Pictures taken with a Canon S5IS

vinay_thakkur said:
hey guys what about dell SP2390

I bought this a few weeks back and trust me it blows the Samsung out of the water (no offense to anyone). The only catch is the price which is 15.5K but even for this price, its completely paisa vasool:cool2:

Sure looks great.. but its at a completely different price range.... little close to the 22" IPS panel? Specs/reviews everywhere are saying its a great monitor.. ^_^

Well, I've played at lower resolutions on the 23" and found no problems watsover, games which i tried were prototype, wolfenstein etc... low resolutions coz am using a standby 9600gt.. will be getting an ati 58xx card..
When u buy wide screen monitors, they're supposed to be run at their native resolutions..

But there r certain games such as Crysis which meant to be played at lower resolution using 9800 gt.
And what are the problems that one may encounter while playing at non native resolution?

Technosam said:
But there r certain games such as Crysis which meant to be played at lower resolution using 9800 gt.
And what are the problems that one may encounter while playing at non native resolution?

The only problem you'll encounter is the textures not looking sharp enough and you may need to use some AA. The point is all current and future game engines are going to be heavily optimised for multi platform which means if it can run smoothly on a console, its guaranteed to run on a mid range PC. Crysis was an exception but thats in the past, CryEngine 3 is going multi platform so you'll be able to handle it easily.

I'm currently using a Dell 23" whose native res is 2048x1152 but i dont go beyond 1080 and all the games look very good ( i'm talking Prototype, Wolfenstein, GTA IV, Batman:AA)

I was just curious if this is a HD monitor at all, because nowhere is it mentioned that this is a full HDTV. Even on Samsung's own website nothing is mentioned about it being full HD, neither does it have HDMI.
Even the other Samsung models like 2233sw & P2250 are not said to be full HD on their website.

m4n4v said:
I was just curious if this is a HD monitor at all, because nowhere is it mentioned that this is a full HDTV. Even on Samsung's own website nothing is mentioned about it being full HD, neither does it have HDMI.
Even the other Samsung models like 2233sw & P2250 are not said to be full HD on their website.

lol... +1 to what sathya said.. no comment.

Thats the whole point your missing, is it mentioned officially anywhere that its an HD monitor. The link that you've given is of the australian site, which might have a variation in the model. If you look at the Samsung site, TVs that support HD are mentioned to be HD TVs or Full HD, etc. Whereas these samsung monitors that i mentioned earlier dont have HD mentioned anywhere(and HD is the main USP in a TV, they cant just afford to ignore it). So if on certain TVs they write HD and others if they dont then it clearly means something. Moreover these samsung monitors dont even come with HDMI.

Its just a webpage, not the product. FullHD is mentioned on the box and then HDMI is required only if you're gonna use PS3, HMDI players etc.. I won't be using either and I've got a good sound card. Doesn't mean that the monitors are not HD ready. Please do mail Samsung about the missing FullHD image on their site.
Moreover there's no loss in quality when compared with DVI..

What is meant by Fullhd?
A resolution of 1920 * 1080 is full hd resolution and any display supporting this or higher resolution along with HDCP is a full hd monitor.
Hence P2250 and P2350 both are fullhd.

Back