Samsung Captivate aka Galaxy S at 21K !

I just ordered a Vibrant for 260$. A relative will bring it with him from US.

I paid through PayPal. But surprisingly, the conversion rate used was 46Rs/Dollar instead of what Google shows Rs44/Dollar.

^ Actually Paypal charges only 2.5% for currency conversion (ie when the final amount is displayed in INR during payment)

How does PayPal calculate currency conversion / exchange rate?

PayPal receives a quoted wholesale rate twice a day. We then add a 2.5% spread above this rate to determine the retail foreign exchange rate that is applied to transactions involving a currency conversion

It's the banks which charge 3.5% + 10.3% Service Tax (~ 3.86% effectively) when the transaction is in a foreign currency.

^ Yeah I know Paypal says 2.5%. But from what I've calculated, it's around 3-3.2% from the current exchange rate shown on xe.com.

This is ofcourse because Paypal only calculates the rate only a couple of times during the day and also may be using a different source to find exchange rate.

@Deus Ex Machina

There are two options

1. Paypal handles the currency conversion and charges your card in INR ( Paypal marks up the rate by 2.5% ), there won't be any further charges by your bank or visa etc as the card is charged in INR just like a domestic transaction.

2. Paypal charges the card directly in USD, in this case the bank marks up the rate by 3.5% + ST as it is a foreign currency transaction.

It's the banks in India which charges extra for foreign currency transactions.

i need someone to help me with paypal payment, anybody awake early during the morning or so , this needs coordination , coz its a darn good deal. My CC is temp blocked coz i saw some unauthorized use :(

i have won this item : 230619979325. The seller does not have a box. Hows the deal @265USD? Is it ok to get the phone without original box, via Aramex? Unable to post link, as ebay is blocked in office :D

nihit said:
i have won this item : 230619979325. The seller does not have a box. Hows the deal @265USD? Is it ok to get the phone without original box, via Aramex? Unable to post link, as ebay is blocked in office :D

One question, how do you plan to pay for it?

The amount of this transaction exceeds your sending limit and cannot be processed at this time.

You will need to add and confirm your bank account. Once your bank account has been added and Direct Debit has been set up, you can continue this payment. Add your bank account information below.
You will need to add and confirm your bank account. Once your bank account has been added and Direct Debit has been set up, you can continue this payment. Add your bank account information below.

Paypal is giving me this error when i try to make payment. I don't know what the problem is , my card limit is around 14k (full 14k left haven't used the card anywhere else) and my payment is only 180$. Is this a common thing , what should i do ? :S

You need to link your bank account to your PayPal account just fill in the information needed by paypal like the a/c number name address.

Back