Roof Flooring idea for Heat insulation

I stay in Central India, and here we do get lots and lots of sun :D :D

Since in my top floor construction is going on, i am thinking to put some special type of flooring in the terrace which will prevent from heat getting inside the house during summer :D

False ceiling is being done on top floor, but still i am planning to go for additional preventive measure on the top floor, so that i don't need much AC to keep the room cool 24x7

Any ideas will be appreciated :):)

I stay in Central India, and here we do get lots and lots of sun :D :D

Since in my top floor construction is going on, i am thinking to put some special type of flooring in the terrace which will prevent from heat getting inside the house during summer :D

False ceiling is being done on top floor, but still i am planning to go for additional preventive measure on the top floor, so that i don't need much AC to keep the room cool 24x7

Any ideas will be appreciated :):)

How about a swimming pool bro

Any light coloured reflected tiling will do wonders. Also you can install a small sprinkler system that will cover the terrace with a light amount of water, just make sure the water being sprayed is cool.

Oh, never realized this forum is now it's Being.Smart's home enclave !!
Well, this is the general section after all. I still don't get how he comes up with such weird doubts, but sometimes I do learn from them. He's like that kid always asking questions in class; most of them are silly and don't make sense, but a few really prop up your own curiosity.

How about a swimming pool bro

My house base is not suitable for a swimming pool on the top, so cant do it :p, For swimming pool special Steel structures are needed to take the heavy load on the top :([DOUBLEPOST=1370109263][/DOUBLEPOST]
Any light coloured reflected tiling will do wonders. Also you can install a small sprinkler system that will cover the terrace with a light amount of water, just make sure the water being sprayed is cool.
i had contacted one tile manufacturer, according to him tile will do no wonder :(, even though one of my friend suggested there are now in market some special type of heat insulated tile available in Delhi-Mumbai[DOUBLEPOST=1370109318][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think sheet rock or rock sheet whatever its called is used for thermal insulation on terrace. Its waterproof too. Ask around in your area for prices.

can you tell me the hindi-local name, will be much easy for me to search it in the market[DOUBLEPOST=1370109410][/DOUBLEPOST]
Where do you get your questions and ideas mate? Solid confused!

Whenever i got stuck in any situation, just post thread here to get ideas from biggies, smarties and techies B-) B-)

Confirming solution from 2-3 more educated people is much better than asking it from 100's illiterate persons :(

Thermal insulating paint is available in market, the same may be tried as a low cost alternative.

I am not sure at all about this but that rock sheet or whatever @6pack mentioned might be called Kadappa (कडप्पा).
But i am still unsure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not kadappa. The one I meant was something else. Some TE member had opened a thread regarding roof insulation or waterproofing some time back last year. In his thread there was a link to some company that made these roof insulation products.

I'm on tapatalk and can't locate that thread. Searching "roof insulation" gives this thread only. Tried on Google but it gave results for gypsum board which is not the same. Gypsum boards are not waterproof or act as good sound and heat insulators.

I saw this rock sheet board on discovery TV and they make it by melting rocks into lava type material and then rolling it to sheets like steel is made. The large sheets are cut with a water jet. Some of these sheets have aluminum foil on one side for thermal insulation.

The link I told of above which I can't find is an Indian manufacturer.

Edit: I got the name wrong. Its called rockwool. :oops:

http://www.rockwoolindia.com/buildingrolls.html

http://goenkainsulation.com/

I have no idea what rock wool is called in Hindi.

FIRST- On the floor below the terrace before they put the POP/False ceiling, ask them to put thick sheets of thermocol using long nails on the cement ceiling before the POP. We used 3 inch sheets you can try thicker. This is the single most inexpensive way to reduce heat.

SECOND- White tiles, any make. The gaps should be filled using white cement regularly(once a year refilled incase some pop out )

Please search the forums before opening a new thread.

Forget searching, he's posted a piece of advice on the same issue in that thread.

What's that movie called? Gajini? </sarcasm>

Have you guys considered solar panels? Free electricity as long as there's sun, too. 3kVA of panels plus and inverter ain't cheap, but will be able to run AC for a small room all day.

Any flat surface will convert light to heat. That is how the planet was created. You can't prevent it with any sort of material, short of actually blocking out light.

I'm getting a solar power station for my house in '14, and it seems the best solution for both the sunlight issue as well as soaring power costs.

i give u even better idea , put a thatched roof over the roof of your room , get a shady place for you to sit in and prevents heat to come into yours and is cheap

@cranky, isn't solar too costly? Also seems like they don't last long due to cost cutting in panel manufacturing process by many of the small Chinese firms. Saw an article saying some panels die within two years. :eek:

Q: What would be the cost of a 3KVA setup and what will be the roi on that? Any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back