Roof Flooring idea for Heat insulation

@cranky, isn't solar too costly? Also seems like they don't last long due to cost cutting in panel manufacturing process by many of the small Chinese firms. Saw an article saying some panels die within two years. :eek:

Q: What would be the cost of a 3KVA setup and what will be the roi on that? Any idea?
There was a advertisement in Bangalore Times few days back about solar panels with ten year warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please search the forums before opening a new thread.

http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/roof-cooling-solutions.130703/

Also check this,

http://www.insulla.com/

I have no idea if it works though. I am looking for a similar solution for my roof too. Temperatures are around 48C here. And I need something for exposed water pipes as well because they become super hot and I have free hot water (which is a pain) from morning 8am till 10pm in the night.

Lol.. being.smart also provided solution in your thread and asking same question here again.. :hilarious:

@6pack : If you try your own hackjob then yes, you will run into issues. Indian panels are usually of much better quality - though more expensive. Aditya has a pretty good range of products with 90% output and guaranteed to 70% for ten years. They're pretty much at the head of a pack and though the contracts are little more pricey in the long run they are worth it.

Can't say much about costs excepts that it varies pretty widely given the kind of installation you do. Initial estimates point to about 1-1.2L per kVA for an off-grid station and about half that for on-grid (no storage). There is a 8-10 year life after which the system basically may need new panels and new batteries.

There is zero ROI on solar. If you look at it from the point of view of an electricity bill it's absolutely not worth it. However, the cost of power and the projected increase over ten years means you will either have to fork out more money or cut your consumption levels over that time. There is also the concept of perpetuity, because when you have a fixed connection you are collared by the power quality and whims of the grid providers. However with your own station you basically can run whatever you want within the limits of the station itself.

A decent whole-house station costs about as much as a good hatchback, so it's not for everybody. However, it's almost 100% green (batteries are still an issue), has zero running cost and eliminates your electricity bill if you plan it right. It's really attractive for people with the space and the wherewithal.

Last edited by a moderator:
1L or 50% of panel cost, whichever is lower. That was the last info I had, maybe updated up or downward.

We really wanted to implement such a thing for our farmhouse but electricity is really cheap in Himachal Pradesh. Though I might suggest this to my Mamaji who lives in Haryana and burns diesel as they only get electricity for 8-10 hours a day.

From being.smart , by being.smart , for being.smart ....

go for this thing, apply a 5 cm layer of limestone, then above than put a single layer of bricks, and then again cover and make the whole floor plain with lime or putty, and you are done.

and yeah if you want to go for a life long solution, put tiles above them, secured for life long

i give u even better idea , put a thatched roof over the roof of your room , get a shady place for you to sit in and prevents heat to come into yours and is cheap
Yeah that looks like a decent solution. I myself am planning to get this done for my house.
It gives you nice place to sit. Also can be used for some additional purposes like drying clothes during rains and all.

Seems like suffering from long term memory loss problem :D, forget solution which i had suggested to someone else :p

My engineer suggest me one solution :

Mixing small piece of bricks in size 2-3-inch, with lime, and jaggery, make a 6-7inch layer of it, allow it to dry, and then the layer is beaten with bamboo stick for 1 week so that it gets ultimate hard, then tiles are being put about it . This solution even being too costly, keep rooms quiet cool according to him, but as of now i can go with the solution as monsoon is almost here in CG, getting shower daily :(

Yeah that looks like a decent solution. I myself am planning to get this done for my house.
It gives you nice place to sit. Also can be used for some additional purposes like drying clothes during rains and all.

Truss with sheet roofing on terrace is a good/practical solution. Thatched roof takes too much maintenance.

Back