Requirement for solid wireless network around my home

As suggested just try varying placements of the router first before buying anything else. Simply power it on in the test spot and using any wifi meter app on android or iphone, walk around to see how it performs. I'm sure n12 should suffice when placed properly

So here are the wifi strengths of signal when router is placed at conventional centre of house at lower floor-
(Note : The plan I have posted have same resemblance on both floors)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299318.077068.jpg

1.lower floor---

Kitchen (Centre)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414298794.132340.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299168.928136.jpg

Living
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299355.011315.jpg

3,1 bedroom
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299409.944499.jpg

Bedroom 2
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299514.477890.jpg

Now Upper Floor --

Living
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299594.577435.jpg

Kitchen
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299723.845499.jpg

Bedrooms 3,1
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299758.078991.jpg

Bedroom 2
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414299784.677908.jpg

To sum up I receive decent range in only lower floor(kitchen,living and bedrooms 1,3)
But just 1 bar in (bedroom 2 and upper floor kitchen)

Try same location on top floor and see h0w signals pan out on that and lower floor. The other placement cpuld be on top of the bedroom 1 wardrobe. That would reduce one more wall between the 2 bedroom and remove walls from living area too as there will only be a single door

Try same location on top floor and see h0w signals pan out on that and lower floor. The other placement cpuld be on top of the bedroom 1 wardrobe. That would reduce one more wall between the 2 bedroom and remove walls from living area too as there will only be a single door

Tried...
1.kitchen on upper floor-
Upper floor covered with decent range.

2.lower floor bedroom 1-
Good range in both bedroom 1,3 on upper as well as lower floor.
No coverage in upper living as well as lower living.
2 bars in kitchen and bedroom 3 on lower floor and single bar in upper floor kitchen and bedroom 2!

Doesn't look like you're getting a decent signal on the same floor itself with the N12. Try the TP-link WA5210G access point. Transmit power looks like its 27dbm/500mW too. 2.5k is cheap too.

Yeah try this out first. Atleast just power on the router - even without the cable internet connected to it, it will still broadcast a local wifi network, and you can measure signal strength.
right so key components to assess with larger flats are
- a router for range finding otherwise its a lottery.
- a floorplan

If it works, you can connect a second N12 on the floor below and solve the vertical coverage issue.
Did not get this part ?

he will get coverage directly above/below, the question is how far away from there.

not possible i think to get coverage in the bedrooms at the left but otherwise the rest of the house should be ok.

So here are the wifi strengths of signal when router is placed at conventional centre of house at lower floor-
Sorry but i do not see wifi strengths mentioned anywhere on those grabs. All i see is ping time & packet loss which tells us nothing.

What is 54% packet loss in dbm :confused:

Use wifi analyser, let it settle for a few seconds and then grab the graphs of the parabolas, this tells us two things.

- neighbouring networks detected in every room (if any) and how strong they are (in dbm)

- your own signal in dbm

Only then will we know what sifi strengths actually are in the different rooms concerned.

Ping is not helpful here. The point is to measure signal strength, if that is acceptable then the rest will be ok.

Last edited:
Sorry but i do not see wifi strengths mentioned anywhere on those grabs. All i see is ping time & packet loss which tells us nothing.

Use wifi analyser, let it settle for a few seconds and then grab the graphs of the parabolas, this tells us two things.

- neighbouring networks detected in every room (if any) and how strong they are (in dbm)

- your own signal in dbm

Only then will we know what sifi strengths actually are in the different rooms concerned.

Ping is not helpful here. The point is to measure signal strength, if that is acceptable then the rest will be ok.
No such app on iOS.

Will try with other droids here.

Don't bother. 54% packet loss is useless.

Did not get this part ?

he will get coverage directly above/below, the question is how far away from there.
Except he has already said he's barely getting a signal underneath or above the router. Either his antenna is polarised for stronger horizontal coverage than vertical coverage or his floors/ceilings are very thick. In which case he could have added a second N12 at the other floor level (wired AP of course) to take care of wifi on that floor. But it looks like the N12 isn't giving him suitable results on 1 floor itself.

The last tweak he can make to the N12 is positioning the antenna straight up as @dheerajjotwani mentioned.

Does the dbm matter if he's losing half the packets? dbm is just a signal level, whether communication can happen at those levels requires a data transfer test. Ping is not even a flood of I/O but just periodic tiny packets to his router (192.168.1.1). If half those are being lost he has a very unreliable link to his router, no?

Last edited:
ok, so here is the result of the rangefinding with n12 placed in the lower floor kitchen. I'll accept that a successful ping means a working link. I reversed the figures to make it more meaningful.

green means good signal ie 0% packet loss, orange is weak and red is non-existent or 100% packet loss.

lower floor

tOXiqkC.jpg

upper floor

l90oKmP.jpg

I don't understand why he's getting 100% packet loss in the living room and bedroom 3 on the upper floor. Expected at least 80% signal there.

One antenna at 0 degrees from vertical gives horizontal coverage, the other at 90 degrees from vertical should give vertical coverage. orientation is right.

Would it make any difference if instead of placing the router on the kitchen counter, he needs it up on the ceiling in the same location. Am beginning to wonder whether his original location next to the pooja room is any better ? should at least get a signal in the upper living room and kitchen.

However bedroom 1 & 2 on the upper floor are going to be difficult to reach with those load bearing walls in the way.

Doesn't look like you're getting a decent signal on the same floor itself with the N12.
He's getting a good signal on the ground floor except for bedroom 2 but its the top floor where things get attenuated quickly beyond the kitchen.

In which case he could have added a second N12 at the other floor level (wired AP of course) to take care of wifi on that floor.
where to place the AP ?

Last edited:
Been following this thread, now my boss needs something like this for his 2 storeyed apartment which is around 2500sqft on each floor. I checked here in Dubai and one of the stores has GrooveA 52HPn with level 4 license for AED 280 (approx 4800 INR), now being an amateur techie i have no idea regarding the licenses and all. Please advise how to go ahead.

Thanks @Crazy_Eddy
However the wiki page doesn't have user guide for noobs like myself and by the looks of it- it looks like very complicated. Does this have a GUI like all other normal routers/access points ?

Use wifi analyzer on android
ok, so here is the result of the rangefinding with n12 placed in the lower floor kitchen. I'll accept that a successful ping means a working link. I reversed the figures to make it more meaningful.

green means good signal ie 0% packet loss, orange is weak and red is non-existent or 100% packet loss.

lower floor

tOXiqkC.jpg

upper floor

l90oKmP.jpg

I don't understand why he's getting 100% packet loss in the living room and bedroom 3 on the upper floor. Expected at least 80% signal there.

One antenna at 0 degrees from vertical gives horizontal coverage, the other at 90 degrees from vertical should give vertical coverage. orientation is right.

Would it make any difference if instead of placing the router on the kitchen counter, he needs it up on the ceiling in the same location. Am beginning to wonder whether his original location next to the pooja room is any better ? should at least get a signal in the upper living room and kitchen.

However bedroom 1 & 2 on the upper floor are going to be difficult to reach with those load bearing walls in the way.

He's getting a good signal on the ground floor except for bedroom 2 but its the top floor where things get attenuated quickly beyond the kitchen.

where to place the AP ?
Don't bother. 54% packet loss is useless.

Except he has already said he's barely getting a signal underneath or above the router. Either his antenna is polarised for stronger horizontal coverage than vertical coverage or his floors/ceilings are very thick. In which case he could have added a second N12 at the other floor level (wired AP of course) to take care of wifi on that floor. But it looks like the N12 isn't giving him suitable results on 1 floor itself.

The last tweak he can make to the N12 is positioning the antenna straight up as @dheerajjotwani mentioned.

Does the dbm matter if he's losing half the packets? dbm is just a signal level, whether communication can happen at those levels requires a data transfer test. Ping is not even a flood of I/O but just periodic tiny packets to his router (192.168.1.1). If half those are being lost he has a very unreliable link to his router, no?
Vertically align both antennae and place this higher. Maybe atop the crockery unit.

Is this router on stock fw or ddwrt?

I have tested them with Wifi Analyzer and here's the link for CSV files in Zip format which you all can emulate with wifi analyzer.

**Sorry for inconvenience.**

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6gKZT-Z1a4qcHNVSUhxS1R3M0E/view?usp=sharing

I had placed the router in the ground floor kitchen atop crockery.

Experts please analyze.
I

Back