Requirement for solid wireless network around my home

Questionnaire :

1.ISP :Local Fiber Optic Network(Nettech)

2.Plan : 2 Mbps till 20 GB;512 Kbps post FUP

3.Connection Type: Cable internet!

4.Area of house:

4000 sq.ft * 3 storeys

At least need coverage on top 2 floor!
Ground floor is unused!

5.Budget :₹5k + 1k tolerance

6.Previous setup:

I had placed W8968 on BSNL in living and it broadcasted to all rooms except rear on 2 floor and living kitchen on 1 st floor!

7. My plan:

Get Asus RT-N12 C1. -₹1.8k 5 dbi omnidirectional
1-2 range extenders!

Or

Get Asus RT-N12HP

Or

E900+Range Extender!

I am totally new at this so please suggest a good network plan!

I want full coverage on 1st and second floor!

Would suggest to go with Microtik as well, if you have the budget. Else, a combination of cheap 740Ns in AP mode is better - if you have the wiring.

I cannot opt for that!
Anyways guys please suggest a good router among the companies in my budget!
Miktotik groove is 5500/- with warranty only. That was the budget you mentioned right?
Contact Multilink computers and talk to.one ms.anu
Here is copy of email

Please find the groove :-
1. RB Groove-52HPn @ 3895+5%tax
2. RB GrooveA-52HPn @ 5225+5%tax

With 1 year warranty

Thanks & best regards.
ANU
Multilink Computers Pvt Ltd.
405, 4th Floor, Eros Apartment 56,
Nehru Place, New Delhi - 110019
Mb: +91-8826893854
Web: www.multilinkonline.com
Email ID: cctv.multilinkindia@gmail.com

500mW of output power is a bit dicey since the Rx signal on any wifi devices close to it will probably get clipped. Ironically the cleanest signal in this case will be for devices that are a little further away from the groove wifi AP.

Maybe you can play around with the output power so you get a good balance of range and decent signal.

Last edited:
Miktotik groove is 5500/- with warranty only. That was the budget you mentioned right?
Contact Multilink computers and talk to.one ms.anu
Here is copy of email

Please find the groove :-
1. RB Groove-52HPn @ 3895+5%tax
2. RB GrooveA-52HPn @ 5225+5%tax

With 1 year warranty

Thanks & best regards.
ANU
Multilink Computers Pvt Ltd.
405, 4th Floor, Eros Apartment 56,
Nehru Place, New Delhi - 110019
Mb: +91-8826893854
Web: www.multilinkonline.com
Email ID: cctv.multilinkindia@gmail.com
500mW of output power is a bit dicey since the Rx signal on any wifi devices close to it will probably get clipped. Ironically the cleanest signal in this case will be for devices that are a little further away from the groove wifi AP.

Maybe you can play around with the output power so you get a good balance of range and decent signal.

Thank you for your sincere advice guys!
I had never heard of this!

Anyways my house architecture is somewhat continuous flow rectangle type!
Entrance > Stairs > Living >Dining >kitchen > 4 rooms!

Now Repeat it on three floors!

Will this single groove provide access to at least complete 2 floors?

I am sure if you keep the thinge in the middle floor it will cover 100%. But as vivek and dheeraj have more working knowledge on this, I will leave it to them to answer.

Kindly upload a layout of the house - so that we can have an idea about the rooms.[DOUBLEPOST=1405236618][/DOUBLEPOST]As for power, 500 mW of power is huge. I would not look beyond 100 mW for home usage, even at the cost of getting better signal, since I am a bit radiation paranoid. My N13 has 71mW of power.

Also, the layout drawing could be helpful. I would suggest a router and another in AP mode for the ground. Remaining floors could have two APs per floor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405245393.059810.jpg

I wish to pull trigger on N14u Cloud router!

Can you run wires around the house? CAT5e/6 wires? If yes, and you want to keep the budget to a minimum, get 2 TP-Link 740N's per floor, and place them on opposite sides. You will need to flash each with DD WRT to put in AP mode ideally.

Else, repeaters are great. However, these are not good for LAN streaming.

The Microtik device too is good if you want a single WiFi device.

Can you run wires around the house? CAT5e/6 wires? If yes, and you want to keep the budget to a minimum, get 2 TP-Link 740N's per floor, and place them on opposite sides. You will need to flash each with DD WRT to put in AP mode ideally.

Else, repeaters are great. However, these are not good for LAN streaming.

The Microtik device too is good if you want a single WiFi device.

I have settled for RT-N14u from Asus!
I am getting it very cheap!
And please suggest a range extender

Have a look at the D-link DIR 505.
It's nice and small, and serves well as a range extender. No dd-wrt and no torrenting on it, but it's got a very small physical footprint.

btw....if you're going to be keeping your existing modem/router, you can probably use that as your range extender.

Why? I can't find anything impressive about this router at all. The premium is probably for the USB port.

I asked my bro about Mikrotik and APs!
But he told he would stick to known brand!
Netgear,Asus,Linkys,etc!

Plus no mikrotik and tP-Link service centers in my city!
120km I have to travel for service!

Even if I install that groove in centre on first floor how would the 6 dbi antenna transmit output to front and rear end plus 2 floors above???
We are talking about 10m height and 3000 sq. ft area!

For Asus one!
Bro was impressed due to additional features such as cloud,etc.

Last edited:
I asked my bro about Mikrotik and APs!
But he told he would stick to known brand!
Netgear,Asus,Linkys,etc!

Plus no mikrotik and tP-Link service centers in my city!
120km I have to travel for service!

Even if I install that groove in centre on first floor how would the 6 dbi antenna transmit output to front and rear end plus 2 floors above???
We are talking about 10m height and 3000 sq. ft area!

For Asus one!
Bro was impressed due to additional features such as cloud,etc.

:facepalm:

I think you should not have asked here, but stuck to your own brother then :p

Anyways, Microtik is a enterprise networking brand. Have used it in two locations, and is great.

AP means Access Points. Please google for the same.

Microtik has no ASSC's either. You will need to send to the dealer you bought from. And dBi is not everything. It has o/p power of 500 mW which is quite high, and gives the range you need.

As for the cloud and all that, its useless, IMO. A security risk. Nothing more. Without proper filtering rules, anyone can attempt to get into your files.

Sorry for joining in late.

Have tested loads of soho and enterprise ap and routers since I am in the same boat as u. 3 floored house plus basement. About 2800 sqft.

Gone through asus n16, n13, n14, n12. Net gear wdr3500, tplink 1043nd, wdr3600, 841n, 8968n,. Ubiquiti uap lr, loco m2, nanostation, bullet, pico, outdoor ap+. Digisol round ap, mikrotik rb751, rb951 and finally the groove 52hpn.

My modem connects to a gigabit switch and does dhcp Nat etc, and grooveA handles the wifi as ap.

I have it placed on the middle floor of my house at the height of about 7ft. And the lowest signal anywhere above or below is 70%. Earlier problem of streaming 1080p over wifi is a thing of the past and can easily stream upto 12gb prints to my wireless handheld devices from the main road about 75 meters away.

As for extra power, well using the menu u can always adjust that and I have it set to medium transmit power. For this price, u can't get a better solution.

And as rightly pointed by vivek, this is an enterprise solution, used for much more extensive deployment. They're made for outdoor use and are weather proof and the jazz. Built like a tank. Isp use mikrotik and ubnt products for their backbone.

But again this is ur call.

Well log no...

This has happened over a long period of time and more lately when I had to help deploy a wifi network at a 23 acre resort with both indoor and outdoor application. That's when all the enterprise level products came into the picture.

Over time certain theories about how the signal propagates, we're also thrashed. The bottom line, stellar device wrongly placed - bad wifi and vice versa

Back