Reliance, Videocon and many cheating customers

supra said it right,once your ARPU falls below a certain level they will do these type of things . The same thing happened with me too , the customer care is non-existent . after emailing the nodal officer i got a refund .

The telecom operators are getting somewhere around 15% of revenue from VAS whuch they plan to take up to 35% soon.I have similar problems with tata docomo. I get CB messages on my touch screen phone that remain on home screen,every time i unlock i inadverently press the screen and some stupid service gets activated automatically.10 bucks - 30rs per week .renewal happens automatically.i called up customer care once,wasted half an hour and got no result.this is actual LOOT! These BA*****S are scheming in their stupid support centers ,how to fleece customers! I have lost about 300 rs this year! I have had enough!
I WANT TOO TAKE ACTION!

BUT getting a lawyer to do something like this is beyond my means.I am a doctor working 10 nights a month and also studying for exams! so no free time!

CAN anyone guide me towards any authority or tribunal that will actually listen to my written complaint or email!

drsingh said:
The telecom operators are getting somewhere around 15% of revenue from VAS whuch they plan to take up to 35% soon.I have similar problems with tata docomo. I get CB messages on my touch screen phone that remain on home screen,every time i unlock i inadverently press the screen and some stupid service gets activated automatically.10 bucks - 30rs per week .renewal happens automatically.i called up customer care once,wasted half an hour and got no result.this is actual LOOT! These BA*****S are scheming in their stupid support centers ,how to fleece customers! I have lost about 300 rs this year! I have had enough!
I WANT TOO TAKE ACTION!

BUT getting a lawyer to do something like this is beyond my means.I am a doctor working 10 nights a month and also studying for exams! so no free time!

CAN anyone guide me towards any authority or tribunal that will actually listen to my written complaint or email!

Just tell them that for VAS activation, a 2nd confirmation is required, else you will complain to TRAI. I too face this problem and have found solution too, dont keep much balance in phone.

I'm thinking...just like DnD why cant TRAI implement a "No Value Added Services" (NoVAS) setting.

I.e if I register for NoVAS, no value added services (caller tune, healthpack, whatever) can be added to my account unless I de-register from the service.

Would be so simple to implement.

And what supra said is right. They target low ARPU customers.

I just added 20 bucks to a long dormant reliance GSM connection (just to test it). I had got tired of reliance guys deducting balance for VAS, so I was using it as incoming number only. Anyways a few hours after recharging, I got a message "Thanks for activating hungama pack @ 7 Rs/week" something like that...and yeah...7 Rs gone from balance. So yeah...they are just waiting for you to recharge your account.

Today i read the news about TRAI setting a stronger tribunal to address customer complaints,specially for those whose complaints are not adressed by the telecom companies.I hope it becomes a reality soon.I called customer care to complaint about a wrong recharge and they refused to entertain my complaint on the phone.the guy gave me an email address! i have not seen any reply yet.

What is more troubling is the attitude the first line of customer care has! - its my fault because i maybe pressed some button by accident!

If they are to take that attitude they should send messages that require a physical response to enter YES to a specific no.

But i get CB messages (flash messaages) like rs 20 has been deducted for JYOTISH service to deactivate dial so and so no.The whole scam is engineered to cut balance from customers and deal with the very few who take pains to complain.

Please highlight the issue as even I want to buy a new DTH connection......Which company should I go for...also the package price should be reasonable...Kindly suggest!

Just tell them that for VAS activation, a 2nd confirmation is required, else you will complain to TRAI. I too face this problem and have found solution too, dont keep much balance in phone.
Any improvements since you made this post ?

The problem with not keeping much balance on the phone is if you need anything when the shops are closed you're screwed. But if you leave anything on there they find some way to exhaust it.

This is why those online recharging services have come up.

Idea is to push you towards being a postpaid customer so they can get regular income.

Was enquiring about a airtel prepaid connection and the guy told me its harder to reverse charges for VAS on prepaid than postpaid. he told me its possible to activate VAS just by inadvertently clicking on ads. Easy to do on touch screen phones. Post#22 talks about the same thing.

Does ad blocking help here at all ?

Any improvements since you made this post ?

The problem with not keeping much balance on the phone is if you need anything when the shops are closed you're screwed. But if you leave anything on there they find some way to exhaust it.

This is why those online recharging services have come up.

Idea is to push you towards being a postpaid customer so they can get regular income.

Was enquiring about a airtel prepaid connection and the guy told me its harder to reverse charges for VAS on prepaid than postpaid. he told me its possible to activate VAS just by inadvertently clicking on ads. Easy to do on touch screen phones. Post#22 talks about the same thing.

Does ad blocking help here at all ?

Firstly, I have shifted to a Airtel corporate connection. Secondly, the ads will be only on WAP sites which are run by the mobile operator OR have a link up. Never seen them on other sites.

Secondly, the low balance thing does not always work. I have seen that the balance goes into negative sometimes.

Thirdly, ad blocking wont be of much use. Ad blocking works on the originating address of the ad in question. These small sites will not be in most of the lists - if they are in any at all!

About racking up charges, i think what the guy was referring to is the USSD exploits that exist for android before KK.

See this

Can be contained in either an sms, webpage or even QR code. Allows to place calls without user intervention.

Back