Reddit may force 3rd party apps to shut down, asks for $12k api access fees.

I was adding to the merits of post no 69 above who was replying to this sentence.

Do you think is there any cultural value in reddit which should be preserved? If so then what is it and why that only?

I thought that person (mayank) was complaining against reddit and maybe I'm wrong. I don't know about cultural aspects of reddit, because, reddit is not a country or a region having it's own culture but a mish mash of people from hundreds of countries coming and just chatting in one place.
Arrey, I meant cultural as in body of knowledge. Culture is a body of shared knowledge. You want to know about Sony Headphones. You ask on reddit, someone shares their knowledge with you.

That's the benefit of reddit, the immense cross national and cross cultural knowledge base.

I initially asked the question to the conspiracy theory guy was there any value in reddit worthy of preservation. That guy said the code base is the only thing worthy of preservation that's why I had to reframe it for him to understand what I meant in simplest terms.

I am against Reddit policy changes,not reddit. In fact, reddit is the only website where I search for most of my hobbies. It would be sad to see it go down.

PS: I agree with your previous replies. I was nodding along reading your and Alekh's replies.
Precisely. It is not just another site to post - you can find a bunch of folk dedicated into the most niche subjects, who are there to just share info/experience, not for commercial gain. They are perfectly capable of taking their content elsewhere if the API is restricted. It is not just a medium to create a fuss aka "social awareness" - it can cater content to your personal tastes.

On desktop I use RES + old.reddit; without it the site is very hard to use with tons of unnecessary "features".
You, I, @Mr.J and @6pack are on the same side on this IMO

Last edited:
Ah, thanks mayank for clearing up the misunderstanding. (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)
That guy said the code base is the only thing worthy of preservation that's why I had to reframe it for him to understand what I meant in simplest terms.
This reminds me, I had downloaded the very old code base of reddit (was thinking of making similar website just for India) when it was published on GitHub but I deleted it because it was never updated. Most of it was just the code of initial old.reddit.com without any of the major code in it required for making a proper reddit clone. It was GPL 3 but suddenly they went full private.

Last edited:
Many subreddits are still dark. But Steve is in full denial mode. My wishful thinking is API charges are revised and Apollo/RIF stay status quo - but realistically, I think not much will change. Eventually they can throw mods out, make the subreddits public again, carry on life as usual.
And we will be forced to use their shitty app.

They could... if they want to hasten migration to other platforms. It is mods that created subs and maintain them. They are the ones who keep spambots at bay and curate contnent.

Which other platforms ? Please don't say Lemmy and Squabble. The average redditor ain't going to these platforms. They are very inconvenient vs reddit.

Which other platforms ? Please don't say Lemmy and Squabble. The average redditor ain't going to these platforms. They are very inconvenient vs reddit.
I didn't like fediverse sites and squabble either. Tildes is very promising. It's invite only for now but that's a good thing since it can avoid spams and hug of death. It's highly moderated and has a clean UI..reminds me of the old reddit.

I didn't like fediverse sites and squabble either. Tildes is very promising. It's invite only for now but that's a good thing since it can avoid spams and hug of death. It's highly moderated and has a clean UI..reminds me of the old reddit.

Thanks for recommending Tildes. Found some good discussion on the site, and it's relatively easy to navigate (like Hacker News).

Reddit CEO says the mods leading a punishing blackout are too powerful and he will change the site's rules to weaken them.

Here’s the note Reddit sent to moderators threatening them if they don’t reopen - https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/16/23763538/reddit-blackout-api-protest-mod-replacement-threat

xpbn2cqz1o6b1.jpg

Two of the biggest Reddit communities reopened in the funniest way possible - https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/17/23764729/reddit-users-pics-gifs-subreddits-john-oliver

Reddit CEO says the mods leading a punishing blackout are too powerful and he will change the site's rules to weaken them.

Here’s the note Reddit sent to moderators threatening them if they don’t reopen - https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/16/23763538/reddit-blackout-api-protest-mod-replacement-threat

View attachment 170929

Two of the biggest Reddit communities reopened in the funniest way possible - https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/17/23764729/reddit-users-pics-gifs-subreddits-john-oliver

**** spez.

View attachment 170929

Whatever. I'm done with Reddit. Removed the RIF app from phone and not using it on PC as well. I've been lurking at tildes.net and it look much better alternative to reddit.

I respect everyone's opinion. Everybody has different needs. What u/Spez is doing is crazy, especially blaming it on Apollo in some way. Personally for me reddit is very crucial as I'm a 3D Artist and a game developer, and a few good subreddits (r/blender, r/UnrealEngine and r/Gamedev) are very important for my daily needs. Asking questions and helping others. Discord, as of now is way too sparse and it's not easy to get help on discord nor give help as it feels like a fish market in big discord servers and smaller ones aren't equipped with knowledgeable people. One mod from r/UnrealEngine made a nice post on the situation, otherwise we were all in the dark and suffering bcz all these subreddits are private.

For me, If there's a good alternative to reddit then I'm ready to switch. But given how ruthless all corpos are, Reddit will do everything to shut down if a competition arises.

Here's to hoping for better times

Funny to see their mods getting a reality check, many of them were emotionally high power trippers.

Reddit's value is from almost freely generated content by users. When content is lost from privately owned websites, when it is not /cannot be indexed by google, etc., that content is lost from public knowledge. That is a weakside of sites like reddit.

Reddit communities adopt alternative forms of protest as the company threats action on moderators

Full on chaos. Some subs going literal with their names. Some are allowing posting NSFW content now.
Some of the biggest communities like r/pics, r/aww, and r/GIF decided to post John Oliver pictures and GIFs. In a tweet, Oliver approved this move.

In the case of r/aww, the community is also allowed to post pictures of Chiijohn. r/iPhone decided to post pictures celebrating “dashing” Tim Cook.

There are some truly bizarre forms of protest as well:

Reddit communities adopt alternative forms of protest as the company threats action on moderators

Full on chaos. Some subs going literal with their names. Some are allowing posting NSFW content now.
I looooooove it.
Big FU to spez. Yes he can replace those mods, but moderating large communities will not be easy at all. And corporate moderating will take away the soul of such subreddits.
r/formula1 has joined the NSFW club. Amazing.

Back