Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

Watched I Origins yesterday, movie was really good and touchy at the end, at least for me. Really enjoyed it, however the lead role's acting wasn't my cup of tea.

Saw NH10. Pretty decent, well made thriller. Shades of Deliverance. The ending is a little out there but its not bad. Some excellent performances from just about everyone involved. Could have been shot better and the "hide and seek" sections go on for a bit too long and lack intensity but aside from that, its a really good film and worth watching.

Assault on Precinct 13 - 8/10

John Carpenter made this in 1976. It is gritty and intense. The soundtrack is mind-blowing and adds a lot to the movie. It is hard to tell if the actors are bad or actually acting like wooden doors....! Escape from New York also exhibited this. Assault, has elements of blaxploitation and subdued sexuality, though. Kathy's character is so well done and shown.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshi - 1/10. Stands no chance against Rajit's portrayal in Byomkesh Bakshi TV series, the one we 90s kids grew up watching. Wasted 2 hours and SS Rajput doesnt even fit the role. Irrfan Khan or some other cult actor would have justified the role better.

Assault on Precinct 13 - 8/10

John Carpenter made this in 1976. It is gritty and intense. The soundtrack is mind-blowing and adds a lot to the movie. It is hard to tell if the actors are bad or actually acting like wooden doors....! Escape from New York also exhibited this. Assault, has elements of blaxploitation and subdued sexuality, though. Kathy's character is so well done and shown.
watched after seeing your post. Yep pretty good movie. ...extremely low budget and the acting actually enhances the movie, didn't get any hints on blaxploitation but yep Kathy character was loaded!I actually searched for the actress other movies! :p .good recommendation there @asingh

watched after seeing your post. Yep pretty good movie. ...extremely low budget and the acting actually enhances the movie, didn't get any hints on blaxploitation but yep Kathy character was loaded!I actually searched for the actress other movies! :p .good recommendation there @asingh

John Carpenter's penchant is to create wonders out of nothing...! You should watch his other movies. Escape from New York is gold stellar...! Also, Halloween, which was virtually created out of nothing, again. The blaxploitation is evident: due to an only Afram hero, and the scene where one of the villains (sitting in the car) looks down his scope at "people". It is subtle, but adds essence.

John Carpenter's penchant is to create wonders out of nothing...! You should watch his other movies. Escape from New York is gold stellar...! Also, Halloween, which was virtually created out of nothing, again. The blaxploitation is evident: due to an only Afram hero, and the scene where one of the villains (sitting in the car) looks down his scope at "people". It is subtle, but adds essence.

No love for They Live ? his best work imo

Just today watched Fast & Furious 7. - 9/10
Awesome movie & thrilling storyline.
... a very touching thriller tribute dedicated Paul Walker. RIP man! :cry:

F&F7 - 6/10.

Decent timepass film but probably the worst of all that the franchise has to offer. Of course, I haven't watched 'em all.

You really, really need to suspend disbelief.... even for a film set in the F&F universe. Vin Diesel & Crew> Superman & other superheroes combined, lol. It is the kind of movie that'll make your parents say, 'Aur Tum Log Rajnikanth Ke Philmon Par Haste Ho'.

I'll only agree with the post above when it comes to the tribute to Paul Walker at the end being well done. As for the rest, this section from a Mirror review fits the bill perfectly imo-

If you gave a 15-year-old boy $250million and told him to go away and make a movie, the result would probably look like this.

A pile-up of extended car chases and gargantuan explosions, interspersed with ogling close-ups of boobs and bums, F&F7 resembles a mix-tape of every other action flick that’s gone before.

It’s not petrol that powers this engine but pimples and testosterone.

PS- The digital double is pretty convincing. So kudos to the artists.

Fast and Furious 7 -

I don't know where to place this on a scale of 10. I will do that at the end.

Saw it yesterday and was saddened that this was Paul Walker's last movie.

This movie is probably the best example of what happens when you milk a movie franchise especially that had barely any content to offer in the first place.

The movie can be summed in a line - Ridiculous action scenes joined together with a few minutes of bad acting and dialogues in between.

The movie wasted talents like Tony Jaa and Jason Statham. Tony was just a henchman and Jason a one dimensional character who just pops out of nowhere.

The only thing that I can say is this is probably not the movie that the people involved in making it wanted us to see. Paul Walker's untimely dead caused them to change the script and may be why this movie is that bad.

Considering how bad the movie is - 5/10 but since it is not what was originally intended - 6/10

P.S.: The scene where Paul Walker is checking surveillance camera in a garage. The old Porsche struck me because if it is the 550 and if this scene was shot before Paul Walker died then it is really spooky considering Paul Walker and James Dean both died in a Porsche in a similar fashion and 550 was the Porsche that James Dean died in.
A bit of googling and - http://briefed.ca/vancouver/2014/02/paul-walker-james-dean-death-similarities/

FF7 - I am not a big fan of the series, still went to watch to see Paul one last time.
in fact this is the first FF movie I watched on theater.
Not much of a disappointment for me as thats what I expected - some 'decent' stunts and actions with a 'poor' plot. :)
I would rate 6/10

ps: but my wife slept through most of the movie.

In time - 6/10 : A very interesting concept where time is currency but the movie turned out to be an average thriller. A wasted opportunity. Could have been much better.
American Sniper - 7/10 : The movie tries to portray the effects of war on a soldier, in this case a lethal sniper. The sniping sequences were good but there weren't enough of them with unnecessary emotional segments. Also, I don't enjoy this one sided perspective of movies like this (Hurt locker etc) trying to justify all this violence. Glorifying the suffering of an attacking nation and overlooking the other side. Greenzone was so much better but didn't get publicized this much.
Baby - 7/10 : A good thriller. But the climactic sequence ended with a whimper. Everything felt resolved just too easily. But still one of the better thrillers from bollywood.

FF7 : 6/10... No brainer, decent action flick which is one time watch. Digital paul walker was no where noticeable, except the fact that his lines were very short. I was expecting him to die in action sequences in middle of movie as i knew he died while shooting. That was the only suspense for me in the movie. Rest all was average.Milking the franchise.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshi : 8/10.. Except that the movie was long, slow and boring, everything else was fantastically done. The cinematography and attention to detail was amazing. Acting and way the story unfolded was well taken care. YRP has started nice experiments and have been putting money in good places now.

Guys please suggest some Romcom movies. No awkward or sad climax please.
Looking forward to spend Friday night by watching couple of cheerful and light minded flicks.

Haven't posted in a while. Have seen quite a few movies in between. Here goes.

Singham - 5/10
Singham Returns - wtf/10
Load of crap
Pizza - 5/10
Was a pleasant experience till the climax. Went horribly wayward in the climax.
Madagascar 3 - 5/10
Way over the top, even by cartoon standards. Had hoped for a better movie.
Mardaani - 7/10
Bollywoodised Taken, but in a good way.
Apollo 18 - 4/10
The Bourne Legacy - 7/10
The Watch - 4/10
A few laughs hit the mark, most of them fall flat. Ben Stiller has lost it.
Abduction - 3/10
Transformers : Age of Extinction - 6/10
Should have been trimmed heavily. Way too long.
Big Hero 6 - 5/10
Don't understand the hype. Average movie at best.
The Judge - 8/10
RDJ should do more films outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
404 - 7/10
Dredd - 7/10
Had apprehensions about this one, but it is surprisingly good. A sequel was in talks but the studios seem to have dumped it.
Agneepath (new) - 7/10
Worked for me. Loved Rishi Kapoor in it. Sanjay Dutt OTOH was not upto scratch.
Contagion - 7/10
Highway - 10/10
Imtiaz Ali weaves his magic again. Top notch performances all around.
Game - wtf/10
Abhishek Bachchan should stop acting all together.
Ice Age : Continental Drift - 7/10
Starts off weird, but gets its act together from around the halfway mark.
Ugly - 9/10
Wow. Anurag Kashyap does it again. That police station scene is so accurate.
The Dictator - 3/10
Falls flat. Staple Sacha Baron Cohen stuff.
Battle Royale - 5/10
Julia's Eyes - 6/10

Back