Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

^Can't wait enough for this. The review ratings are out of the roof!
Batman Assault on Arkham : 8/10 Watched this last night. I love the animated Superhero Movies. Harley quinn was smoking sexy!
Is this movie based on the Arkham games universe? Where does this fit in the game series?

^Can't wait enough for this. The review ratings are out of the roof!

Is this movie based on the Arkham games universe? Where does this fit in the game series?

I downloaded and watched it because it was supposed to be tied in with the videogame franchise and boy was i disappointed.
The movie is set after the events of Arkham Origins but it doesn't feel like that one bit. The atmosphere and the vibe are complete garbage and don't fit in with the games.
Also, it's the worst performance from Kevin Conroy as Batman in his entire career, I had to check twice if it was indeed him.
If they had made it as one of those standalone movies they churn out it'd have been fine but it's an insult to fans of the video games.
I'd give it a 4/10.

Guardians of the Galaxy

How does Marvel Studios handle a fan favorite yet sidelined group of Galactic Superheroes? They do it with style of course! For the uninitiated and ardent fans this movie will hold its charm. The introductions of the cast and characters, the brief histories, and the unrelenting action interspersed with comic relief is classic Marvel to the core.

The first half of the movie is well spent detailing the background of our Stellar Band of Heroes as well as the Villains. Short dialogs instantaneously give the viewers a sense of what the base character represents and the who and the why is developed as the movie progresses. At first it all appears to be chaotic with multiple shifts between characters and locales but, true to the style of Marvel Studios, it all comes together beautifully in the end. Most loose ends pertaining to this particular film are left for the sequel, and other bigger threads have been opened by GotG alone, thereby setting up the culmination of Marvel Phase 2 nicely.

As we have come to expect from Marvel Studios the special effects are breathtaking, and the people over at Marvel have outdone themselves this time. Depiction of intergalactic and sub-galactic outer space is refreshingly familiar to anyone who has read Marvel comics, and those who haven't will be blown away all the more. Their previous movies have been mostly concerned with Humans and the rare Alien (Avengers), and to go full scale outer space and showing so many extra-terrestrial species with none of them the same is a spectacular treat for us viewers.

All the characters lived up to their roles. We could have had a slightly better Star-Lord than the cool-hipster-American-dude-in-an-old-western-outfit guy we have here, but the rest of the GotG make up more than enough. Rocket Raccoon is the best of them all with his characteristic tongue-in-cheek humor and snappish words, Groot stands tall and mighty, Drax comes to many realizations over the course of the movie, ending up a more heroic version of himself, and Gamora is the obligatory femme fatale. Curiously she kept reminding me of She-Hulk and if she was in that role in a different movie, I think she would pull that off pretty well too. Thanos makes a brief appearance with the grand plans of Marvel Studios saving him for Infinity Gauntlet based story. The rest of the not so well known villains do their part in helping our rag-tag team of mercenaries and bounty hunters and the good at heart to finally come together to their full potential as a super powered team of heroes. The Collector re-appears in the main movie rather than in the post-credits and that seems to be the only area where the director seems to have somewhat wasted a character of epic proportions. I am pretty sure that The Collector and his personal helpers' stories will be told in later movies, so no harm done there. In fact it creates an anticipation with so many juicy tidbits being dangled in front of the discerning viewer.

The character of Yondu is very well written with the full lore of the man displayed on screen. There is nothing more and nothing less with him. That cannot be said of Nebula and Ronan. While Gamora's history was briefly explained and it is sufficient for this standalone movie, Nebula was left high and dry with no special flashbacks or dialog. Ronan the Accuser playing true to the original character was left stunningly stark. There is history, a lot of it, with Ronan and only the basics were touched upon in GotG. What wouldn't the fans give for a new Fantastic Four movie with their confrontation with Ronan at the core? Wishful thinking.

So, who should watch this movie? Everyone. Kids will enjoy it, summer blockbuster watchers will like it, Marvel Comics and movie fans will love it. As a Guardians of the Galaxy movie it does very well on it's own, and the best part is that it ties into the grand plans of Marvel Phase 2. Does it live up to the hype? Oh, absolutely!

My Rating: 8/10

PS: Stick around for the post-credits scene.

Watched guardians of the galaxy on friday @ imax.

Hmmm. I haven't read the comics and neither am i a fan. Having said that, i still expected a lot out of it based on the trailer and the high expectations of fans.
The movie is good but did it completely blow me away, Nope. Everything about it is good but this movie is more like 'batman begins' rather than 'the Dark night'

Good, but not gr8..

Watched guardians of the galaxy on friday @ imax.

Hmmm. I haven't read the comics and neither am i a fan. Having said that, i still expected a lot out of it based on the trailer and the high expectations of fans.
The movie is good but did it completely blow me away, Nope. Everything about it is good but this movie is more like 'batman begins' rather than 'the Dark night'

Good, but not gr8..

You made my day. In my view, Batman Begins was the best movie of the trilogy. I love the movies which set-up the franchise. Those movies have the best story-line as you get the background story, which for me is more important than all out action scenes.

Those who have seen Guardians of the Galaxy.. Is it better than Pacific Rim ?
Storyline + execution + action wise..

12 Monkeys - 8.3/10
Just had to go past the pastiness of the beginning, 15 mins into it and it got pretty good.

Children of Men - 8.2/10
Very good movie. Clive Owen really did a good job as well.
The joke on Stork was pretty neat :)

The Driver - 7/10
Decent movie. Clearly has its influence on few modern movies with similar storyline.

Hard Boiled - 7.2/10
Looked like a decent 90s HK action flick.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird - 6.9/10
The director made a royal hash of a potentially good movie. Overtly stylish and brainless in certain parts.. lost its charm as fast as it had started to climb up.

Last edited:
You made my day. In my view, Batman Begins was the best movie of the trilogy. I love the movies which set-up the franchise. Those movies have the best story-line as you get the background story, which for me is more important than all out action scenes.
But that's precisely what I meant. For someone who doesn't know who's who in the comic, this movie doesn't give me much info abt em. There is no build-up to the next movie. Its more like a stand alone.
I mean bautista just says he wants revenge and why, nothing beyond that. I still don't know why or even what's the story behind the tree guy or the rodent fella.
Anyways I guess, to each their own... Enjoy the movie.

Storyline + execution + action wise...

Different Genres. It's like comparing The Forrest Gump to The Sound of Music. Both are top of the charts yet different. If you want to generalize one superhero/fantasy movie to any other, then this genre is not for you.

But that's precisely what I meant. For someone who doesn't know who's who in the comic, this movie doesn't give me much info abt em. There is no build-up to the next movie. Its more like a stand alone.
I mean bautista just says he wants revenge and why, nothing beyond that. I still don't know why or even what's the story behind the tree guy or the rodent fella.
Anyways I guess, to each their own... Enjoy the movie.

I don't think anyone would like to sit for more than 4 hours trying to watch the back story of all the characters in the movie. The movie should motivate the viewers to catch up on the old comics and back stories when they go back home. You have to remember that this is more a tie-in movie for next year's Avengers: Age of Ultron and subsequent Marvel movies. There is a lot of material to read on these characters ranging from multiple issue comic book arcs to simple one-off intro pages that can be found with a simple search.

Public message:
This is like The Spirit (2008) all over again. Make a movie out of an obscure yet fan favorite character and see how it bombs at the box office. Comic sales are still strong though. As for the GotG movie, it's success or failure is not going to make one difference to Marvel Studios. It is a filler movie of a fan favorite superhero team-up and that is all there is to it. On the surface. Deep down though comic readers and Marvel fans will appreciate the plethora of shout-outs, references and cliffhangers left out in the movie as fodder for future movies.

Lastly, when you go to watch any movie please go with an open mind, be it an action movie, a rom-com, or a superhero movie. If you go to compare and evaluate you will never enjoy the movie. Enjoy the movie for what it is, for how much effort has gone into making it, trying to understand what the directors wanted you to see, and appreciate what the actors did.

Unless your source of income, however, is from reviewing and evaluating and comparing movies, then rip into the sucker! :D

Enjoy the movie for what it is, for how much effort has gone into making it, trying to understand what the directors wanted you to see, and appreciate what the actors did.

This. I'm not a fan of Marvel characters but i'm impressed by the production values in their newer movies. The cgi, costumes, sound quality etc is simply amazing and on a completely different level compared to other big budget flicks. I don't think Batman vs. Superman can match those levels but i'd like to be surprised as a Batman fan.
Also, as a big fan of Chris Pratt, can't wait to catch Gotg in theaters this week to see his transformation from a goofball on parks & rec. I haven't seen or read much about the movie but i'm sure i'm gonna enjoy.

Captain America : TWS - 7.5/10

Last edited:
Different Genres. It's like comparing The Forrest Gump to The Sound of Music. Both are top of the charts yet different. If you want to generalize one superhero/fantasy movie to any other, then this genre is not for you.

not generalizing, and Both these movies (PR and GoG) are tagged as Action/Adventure/Sci Fi.

I dont read these DC/Marvel comic books, and hence all i expect is some decent entertainment without any attachment.
I am not excited when these movies get released thinking that my fav action heroes are getting a movie incarnation, nor do i sit with oodles of information about the story arcs/backgrounds.

Pacific rim was just an example i quoted. I never had any addiction with those things.. But the movie turned out to be a good popcorn flick which i enjoyed watching while friends were over. At the same time i absolutely disliked Avengers.
So what i precisely am interested in knowing again, is about how those 3 factors mentioned in the original query post of mine turned out to be.

Last edited:
not generalizing, and Both these movies (PR and GoG) are tagged as Action/Adventure/Sci Fi.

I dont read these DC/Marvel comic books, and hence all i expect is some decent entertainment without any attachment.
I am not excited when these movies get released thinking that my fav action heroes are getting a movie incarnation, nor do i sit with oodles of information about the story arcs/backgrounds.

Pacific rim was just an example i quoted. I never had any addiction with those things.. But the movie turned out to be a good popcorn flick which i enjoyed watching while friends were over. At the same time i absolutely disliked Avengers.
So what i precisely am interested in knowing again, is about how those 3 factors mentioned in the original query post of mine turned out to be.

That bold part up there is generalizing two different movies. You will surely not like this movie then, forget about enjoying it. Your money and time should be well spent elsewhere.

Storyline + execution + action wise..

Both were great fun. For me, Pacific Rim was more about the Kaijuus and the Jaegers and the action sequences. That part of GOTG is nothing great (though it has its moments) and Pacific Rim beats it hands down. But about the human element, the setting, caring about the characters and the humour, GOTG is way ahead of Pacific Rim.

(And I thought both of them were a lot more fun than the Avengers).

Back