Queries related to passport

ok so if I am interpreting this correct then i might probably get a passport with validity till 2023 if I were to get my wife's name added on it.

that is correct.

Yep, I have recently helped couple of friends in getting new passports, renewal etc also.
Here to help :)

Got a few queries.. I'll be applying for passports for my family (myself, wife and 2 yr old kid). Please let me know the following:
1. Can all three be applied simultaneously? Will my wife's name be endorsed on my passport if I apply along with her?​
2. Going by the passport website, I need only three documents for myself and my wife: Proof of present address, Proof of DOB and Proof for non-ECR status. Is it really enough to submit only these three docs? I will be using BSNL landline bills for proof of address, matriculation mark list/municipality birth certificate for date of birth. Anything else I will need or I should take?​
3. Apparently, my son's application will need an Annexure H. Is there any other affidavit or annexure that I should keep ready?​
4. Can I upload all three applications using a single login credential on the passport site? Will I get appointments simultaneously?​
Apologies if some of the questions have been asked before. My nearest PSK is over 100 kms away, and I need to make sure I have everything in order before getting an appointment.

Won't you need a marriage certificate if you want to get your wife's name endorsed in your passport ? Also get your name put in her's.

Got a few queries.. I'll be applying for passports for my family (myself, wife and 2 yr old kid). Please let me know the following:
1. Can all three be applied simultaneously? Will my wife's name be endorsed on my passport if I apply along with her?​
2. Going by the passport website, I need only three documents for myself and my wife: Proof of present address, Proof of DOB and Proof for non-ECR status. Is it really enough to submit only these three docs? I will be using BSNL landline bills for proof of address, matriculation mark list/municipality birth certificate for date of birth. Anything else I will need or I should take?​
3. Apparently, my son's application will need an Annexure H. Is there any other affidavit or annexure that I should keep ready?​
4. Can I upload all three applications using a single login credential on the passport site? Will I get appointments simultaneously?​
Apologies if some of the questions have been asked before. My nearest PSK is over 100 kms away, and I need to make sure I have everything in order before getting an appointment.

1. Yes. You will need marriage certificate. If not, then Annexure D
2. If you have any other proof of present address, take it. Take as much docs as possible to prove any of their requirements. But Telephone bill & birth certificate is ok.
3. No.
4. I am not sure on this. Call up the toll free number and ask officially.

@raksrules and @puns
Thanks for the replies.. Yeah, I will be taking my marriage certificate with me. No issues with that.
About proof of present address, the only other document I have is a certificate from the head of my institution (a private college) saying that I have been residing in their staff quarters since August 2011. I don't think they will accept that, will they?
Will call the toll free number regarding the appointments.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the significance of getting ones' spouse name added in the passport?

I am not 100% sure about this. But i read somewhere that if either of the passport's have the spouse's name then there is no police verification when applying for the child's passport.

Just recently i got it done for my family(wife, 3.5 yrs son, 6 months daughter)... in my case, i already had a passport with my wife name endorsed(marriage certificate is enough for this). You can book 3 applicants maximum with in 90 days or something... so i was able to book appointment for all three members with 15 mins gap each. ie. 2 PM, 2.15PM and 2.30PM slots. But this is not required you can book all three on same time slot! For my wife ECR, they also asked me the TC(Transfer certificate), though they didnt mention this in PSK, i did carry this with me. For Kid's passport, they also asked to submit parents passport copy & original(PSK site mentions only one parent is enough), but in my case they asked both parents passport. Since my wife also applying on the same time, they suggested to apply her's first and then keep the file copy of the same for the kid's application. Ideally prior appointment is not required for Kid's application, but still i've booked for safer reason. But i did confirm inside, kids are not required to book appointment, but need to register online before going to PSK.

Annexure H is required... Just fill the form and both parents needs to sign, also need to mention their passport number or file number

Thanks @smnrock
I called up the toll free number and got this info: "All three applications can be uploaded using a single login credential. Appointments need to be booked separately though."
I will fill the application forms this weekend and see how things proceed.

I am not 100% sure about this. But i read somewhere that if either of the passport's have the spouse's name then there is no police verification when applying for the child's passport.
Could be true.. in my case no PV done for my kids and got the passport in 5 days(normal mode). Only wife's passport went for PV and took almost month for getting passport due to delay in PV.[DOUBLEPOST=1371542428][/DOUBLEPOST]@logistopath Carry photo for your kid and also Transfer certificate for both of you! BSNL landline bill should work i guess. My wife had an SBI a/c, we updated the address and got one year statments(with seal) and also updated the address in passbook, gave that as address proof.

If i want to get photo in passport updated, should i take a photo along with me or they will snap my picture there only ?
If i am supposed to take, then will it be the normal passport size photos ?

@logistopath Carry photo for your kid and also Transfer certificate for both of you! BSNL landline bill should work i guess. My wife had an SBI a/c, we updated the address and got one year statments(with seal) and also updated the address in passbook, gave that as address proof.

Do I need a separate address proof for my wife in her name? If so, I have none.[DOUBLEPOST=1371544096][/DOUBLEPOST]
If i want to get photo in passport updated, should i take a photo along with me or they will snap my picture there only ?
If i am supposed to take, then will it be the normal passport size photos ?

I believe we need to carry photos for minors only. For others, be it renewal or fresh issue, photographs will be taken by them only.

Do I need a separate address proof for my wife in her name? If so, I have none.
Yes, AFAIK separate address proof required for your wife also. As per PSK site, spouse passport is enough if the address is same... but these people asked me to submit additional proof. So i submitted bank statement :(

It is mandatory to submit proof of address to apply for passport.
For Proof of Address attach one of the following documents:
  • Water/Telephone (landline or post paid mobile bill)/Electricity bill/Statement of running bank account (Scheduled Commercial bank excluding Regional Rural banks and local area banks)/Income Tax Assessment Order/Election Commission Photo ID card/Gas connection bill/Certificate from Employer of reputed and widely known companies on letter head.
  • Spouse's passport copy (First and last page including family details), (provided the applicant's present address matches the address mentioned in the spouse's passport)
  • Parent's passport copy, in case of minors (First and last page)
  • Applicant's current and valid ration card
  • Aadhaar Card
Note: If any applicant submits only ration card as proof of address, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address out of the given categories.

Yes, AFAIK separate address proof required for your wife also. As per PSK site, spouse passport is enough if the address is same... but these people asked me to submit additional proof. So i submitted bank statement :(

:( That is gonna create a problem. In that case, I will have to apply in two steps. Once for myself, and then for my wife and child, hoping that they accept my passport as my wife's proof of address.

More doubts... or rather, confusions..
As mentioned above, my wife's proof of address is lacking. What would be my best course of action now? I was thinking of applying for my passport alone now, and then once I receive mine, I will apply for my wife and kid. Will that work? Will her name be still endorsed in my passport, even though she is not applying right now?
The other option is for her to apply using her permanent address proof (docs for which she has adequately). The issue with this option is that, the PSK for her permanent residence address is Chennai. She will have to travel all the way there. Also, there will be different addresses in our passports. Will that be an issue later on, or while applying for my kid's passport?

BTW, how long does it take for the passport to be issued under the normal scheme?

If you don't see yourself traveling abroad in next few months, I suggest get it done in 2 steps.
First yours with her name endorsed in your passport.
Next her and your kid's passport and most probably your address from passport might be ok to be considered her present address.

Back