OC & Modding Prototype of India's 1st Liquid Cooler is Ready

Brushed motor are not ment for continues use. Best example are pc FAN.

When using a brushed motor as pump it means that the motor is on 80% more load everytime and result in high current flow between commutators and brushes which lead to high rate of wear and tear, result in dead motor.

If you use distilled water then too you will face electrolysis in the motor and high galvanic corrosion inside the loop.

If you use mineral oil with brush motor, is still a bad idea since pumping oil require more power the pumping water.. so more current more ware and tear.

Please brush motors are not suitable for WC build. Your product will be 100% unstable.

Replace your motor with brushless one, and isolate the rotor chamber from motor armature and all electronic parts.
Also consider corrosion while selection metals for block and the rad.

One more thing, the armature of all brushed dc motors are made up of iron and when mixing copper with iron in a water loop will result in high corrosion.

Brass + Copper + Silver in the loop is fine.. just make sure there is no aluminum/iron in the loop.. That will result in really bad galvanic corrosion .

Brush-less motors are the only way to get reliability out of long duty cycle pumps. All industrial and aquarium pumps that need to run constantly are all brush-less pumps.

Is there a chance this pump can come with pwm control ?

Cheers on this amazing project !! Will be glad to help in anyway possible :)

kind regards :)

No question of pwm from a brushed motor.
Brushed motor draw high current during start up. connection such motor to a Motherboard's fan connector will definetly burn the mobo.
Nikolain, let me guess the dc motor is a driver motor of Audio tap player.

One suggestion, just buy any used PC water cooling pump and open it apart, it will give you a lot more idea what to do or improve your design ?

nikolain said:
the problem now i'm facing is finding a BLDC motor which is the same size of the existing Brushed DC motor,i need to think again
wht size are u looking for

asin give us the dimensions and let us see if we can help

:)

rakesh_sharma23 said:
No question of pwm from a brushed motor.

Brushed motor draw high current during start up. connection such motor to a Motherboard's fan connector will definetly burn the mobo.

Nikolain, let me guess the dc motor is a driver motor of Audio tap player.

One suggestion, just buy any used PC water cooling pump and open it apart, it will give you a lot more idea what to do or improve your design ?
yes i agree that pulling that much power from the mobo header will fry the traces.. but what i meant is that have a PWM sensor cable only conneted to the Mobo.

Use that to read Pwm and control the pump according to the singal from the Mobo.

As for powering up the pump , give power via the molex connector.

Something like the new swiftech MCP 35X series of pumps ( Liang DDC 3.25 + Pwm control )

That will be the best way i think to control pump use/noise etc :)

I agree with rakesh sharma.. might be worth it to get a couple of pumps and tear them down :)

Cheers guys and kind regards !!

moksh4u2 said:
wht size are u looking for

asin give us the dimensions and let us see if we can help

:)
Diameter of 25 mm (+ - 4mm) and length of 16 mm or less.

And this is for Rakesh: if i do find a BLDC, can it work submerged under water,considering that even it has a Iron Core ?

nikolain said:
Diameter of 25 mm (+ - 4mm) and length of 16 mm or less.

And this is for Rakesh: if i do find a BLDC, can it work submerged under water,considering that even it has a Iron Core ?

No Sir, Just replacing the brush motor with brushless will not help. Not only the armature but the whole motor body is made up of Iron.

All brushless motors have control PCB, so submerging electronics parts in water with high current flowing is not a good idea.

Please just buy a PC water cooling pump and open it. It will give you a good idea what to do in order to make a good working product.
Here are inside view of Swiftech MCP355 pump, taken from a forum, hope this will help.
mcp355.gif

waterpumpinside2.jpg

waterpumpinside.jpg

waterpumpinside3.jpg

One more thing, please dont take me other wise. Me and other members of this forum are only trying to help you in make 1st Indian WC Product a super good product.

Rakesh Sharma

No Rakesh i Respect you,and what you said is absolutely right,my prototype motor just went bad 9 hours ago,when i opened it to see what has happened,it was one of the Carbon bushes that was destroyed,so i guess i need to use the Magnetic Coupling method now.

Back