Budget 90k+ Price/Performance PC build

Bit more than 1-2k if we consider the CPU cooler prices, 7600 has a cooler in the box whereas 7600x doesn't come with any cooler.
True, but the default cooler has a bad reputation, so ideally you will end up paying at least 1.7k extra for AG400 but still something is better than nothing.

But again, with 13500, you get more multi-core performance & an iGPU, both are very good additions & worth the extra 12%/2.5k for anyone looking for a productivity build.

AMD does not even provide an iGPU on its CPUs because desktop users who build their own PCs have no use for this at all. So no it is not a good addition, it is a useless addition. And that iGPU provides 1.5 watts of power consumption in idle that you thus constantly save with the KF variants that don't have an iGPU.

You also do not evaluate a CPU purely on multi-core performance but rather on average performance in daily use. The average difference according to expert reviews is only 3.8% which means you hardly get anything extra for the higher price.

AMD does not even provide an iGPU on its CPUs because desktop users who build their own PCs have no use for this at all. So no it is not a good addition, it is a useless addition. And that iGPU provides 1.5 watts of power consumption in idle that you thus constantly save with the KF variants that don't have an iGPU.

You also do not evaluate a CPU purely on multi-core performance but rather on average performance in daily use. The average difference according to expert reviews is only 3.8% which means you hardly get anything extra for the higher price.
AMD provides an iGPU on all its 7000 series chips.

Also, having an iGPU is a very handy thing to have, especially when your primary GPU fails. This is especially imperative for people who WFH (such as me). You can at least use your PC and troubleshoot.

Ryzen 7000 has iGPU as mentioned earlier. A friend has 5800X + 3080 rig which he couldn't use for 1 month when his GPU went for RMA.

For daily use of most people, R5 5600 is more than enough, keeping overhead for increased performance in years to come. Heck even i3 12100 will do fine. No need for 12600KF.

My parent's PC has i3 530 (1st gen). Its usage goes to 80-90% running a 1080p 60fps video on youtube. With 6GB RAM & 256GB SSD with Win10, it is enough for their needs for now. Changed mobo about 1 year ago for 4-5k. Youtube's website is very heavy now as well. Still, R5 5600 should be good for 10 years or so, maybe 8K videos will bring it to its knees like my parent's i3 530.

Again, for productivity, you need both single-core & multi-core performance. The iGPU is great for redundancy, more so for productivity builds.

AMD provides an iGPU on all its 7000 series chips.
Also, having an iGPU is a very handy thing to have, especially when your primary GPU fails. This is especially imperative for people who WFH (such as me). You can at least use your PC and troubleshoot.
From ATI/AMD, I have had models from PowerColor, Sapphire and XFX and none of those models have ever failed.
From Nvidia, I have had two GPUs from MSI and they have never failed either.

Windows10/11 drivers may be more unstable or buggier so windows users often think their GPU has a problem.
But on Linux I must say that a problem with your GPU is very rare if you bought the GPU from a decent brand. By very rare, I mean that it really happens virtually never.

And even if it were to happen, people usually have a netbook/laptop/smartphone/tablet that they use in those few days when they have to miss their GPU. Which doesn't really make a difference at all.

For daily use of most people, R5 5600 is more than enough, keeping overhead for increased performance in years to come. Heck even i3 12100 will do fine. No need for 12600KF.

My parent's PC has i3 530 (1st gen). Its usage goes to 80-90% running a 1080p 60fps video on youtube. With 6GB RAM & 256GB SSD with Win10, it is enough for their needs for now. Changed mobo about 1 year ago for 4-5k. Youtube's website is very heavy now as well. Still, R5 5600 should be good for 10 years or so, maybe 8K videos will bring it to its knees like my parent's i3 530.
I used to have an i3-3240 dual core CPU and then I noticed that certain websites (e.g. https://gamegpu.com/) took a really long time to load, around 7 seconds.

Then after switching to the Intel 12600KF I noticed that the site loads in barely two seconds. So that's every time I load this type of website, I lose 5 seconds of time on the old hardware. Those seconds quickly stack up to minutes and hours lost over a longer time span. So it all depends on how much time you want to lose. The difference in single-core performance between the R5 5600 and the Intel 12600KF is 25% which is no small difference.

Again, for productivity, you need both single-core & multi-core performance. The iGPU is great for redundancy, more so for productivity builds.

Often, in fact, they don't. Suppose you are someone who does mainly web browsing with your PC then you do not need powerful multi-core performance, because a web browser can only use a single core and thus scales 0% to more cores.

Suppose you are someone who does mostly 3D modeling, then you will especially benefit from high single-core performance.

If you are one of the hundreds of millions of people who plays mostly old games from his childhood, the majority of games currently is still defined by single-core performance.
More games were made before 2017 than after, and it's only around 2017 that game engines generally started to make better use of multi core performance.

LAME, the open source audio encoder, is another good example of a single-threaded application.

SOLIDWORKS has often been described as a single-threaded application. This means that the majority of SOLIDWORKS computation occurs on one CPU core.

Typically most applications only need to use one thread because they do not perform time consuming tasks.
And it is also really difficult to optimize an app for multi-core performance in many programming languages.

These two reasons mean that most apps are single threaded. If most apps are single threaded it will determine productivity for most users.

From ATI/AMD, I have had models from PowerColor, Sapphire and XFX and none of those models have ever failed.

Windows10/11 drivers may be more unstable or buggier so windows users often think their GPU has a problem.
But on Linux I must say that a problem with your GPU is very rare if you bought the GPU from a decent brand. By very rare, I mean that it really happens virtually never.

And even if it were to happen, people usually have a netbook/laptop/smartphone/tablet that they use in those few days when they have to miss their GPU. Which doesn't really make a difference at all.
GPU failures are not something common, but not improbable. It hasn't happened for you, can't say the same for the next person.

Linux cannot be made a valid point here, since the majority are on Windows. You have to go by the masses, not the niche.

No, not everybody has a backup laptop along with their primary PC, and I would not want to be fiddling around with documents/excel worksheets/essential work software on a smartphone.

I used to have an i3-3240 dual core CPU and then I noticed that certain websites (e.g. https://gamegpu.com/) took a really long time to load, around 7 seconds.

Then after switching to the Intel 12600KF I noticed that the site loads in barely two seconds. So that's every time I load this type of website, I lose 5 seconds of time on the old hardware. Those seconds quickly stack up to minutes and hours lost over a longer time span. So it all depends on how much time you want to lose. The difference in single-core performance between the R5 5600 and the Intel 12600KF is 25% which is no small difference.

Often, in fact, they don't. Suppose you are someone who does mainly web browsing with your PC then you do not need powerful multi-core performance, because a web browser can only use a single core and thus scales 0% to more cores.

Suppose you are someone who does mostly 3D modeling, then you will especially benefit from high single-core performance.

If you are one of the hundreds of millions of people who plays mostly old games from his childhood, the majority of games currently is still defined by single-core performance.
More games were made before 2017 than after, and it's only around 2017 that game engines generally started to make better use of multi core performance.

LAME, the open source audio encoder, is another good example of a single-threaded application.

SOLIDWORKS has often been described as a single-threaded application. This means that the majority of SOLIDWORKS computation occurs on one CPU core.

Typically most applications only need to use one thread because they do not perform time consuming tasks.
And it is also really difficult to optimize an app for multi-core performance in many programming languages.

These two reasons mean that most apps are single threaded. If most apps are single threaded it will determine productivity for most users.
My first GPU bought in 2010 failed after 3 years or so, was XFX HD5670. My friend with 5800X + 3080 had to sent his 3080 for RMA after few months of purchase because a fan stopped working. Another friend with 5900X 3070 FE had his GPU fail on him, RMA took almost 1 month, he got an upgrade to 4070 by paying 10k extra. Upgrade was nice but 1 month is lost. So iGPU is more important if you use your PC for productivity/work as mentioned by other guy earlier. GPUs have a much higher failure chance than CPU, RAM or SSD.

You made a big jump in CPU, maybe moved from HDD to SSD during the upgrade as well. But considering how laggy my parent's i3 530 PC is, I can understand the point of wasted time. I was never against SC performance, I just mentioned how 12600KF is a bad value because of 13500 which has similar SC performance, but better multicore performance & has iGPU as an addition for 12% extra money.

Outside CPU benchmarks like Cinebench, show me something to prove your point on 12600KF will be faster for normal usage like web browsing over R5 5600. I expect no difference because my i7 8750H laptop is as smooth as my i5 12400 desktop except when RAM is close to full because my laptop has a 16GB RAM vs 32GB RAM on my desktop. On battery power my laptop is slower though, but not a huge margin. My office laptop has i5 1235U which is again weaker than my desktop but is smooth enough, except for when RAM usage is 90% (8GB RAM, so easier to get there).

Back