Pogoplug Pro - $29.95 - Approx. 2.75k shipped - Low power download box etc

spawnfreak said:
guys shall I buy POGO-B01 (pink colored) but i'm not able to understand if its the new or old model..

please can sm1 tell If it should be bought or not? I intend to use it as torrent downloading client.

and whats wid the wifi version? Only that it can download over wifi?

I actually regret that i didn't got the pink one , better processor bigger RAM but I'm not really sure how good is the support for Pink from Arch Linux

Have opened the thread here to discuss it further.

http://www.techenclave.com/networking/pogoplug-pro-discussion-thread-204103.html

xplodee said:
So you are able to download torrents when Pc is off ? :D

Obviously ;) I have been using similar devices like the Dockstar, GoFlex Net etc for downloads for more than a year! :p
dinjo said:
I think i wont need wifi i have router for it , did u got pyload working i was getting a dependencies missing , I didn't tried a make on pyload [Only it could have debain]

You can't make the Pogoplug an access point any way. You can only connect to an existing wireless network. Can avoid the need for the cable! :p No, didn't try pyload yet. You just need to install it from source, should work.
spawnfreak said:
guys shall I buy POGO-B01 (pink colored) but i'm not able to understand if its the new or old model..

please can sm1 tell If it should be bought or not? I intend to use it as torrent downloading client.

and whats wid the wifi version? Only that it can download over wifi?

B01 is the new model based on the same hardware as Pogoplug Pro. Pro has bultin wifi, you can configure it to connect to your existing wireless network. Can avoid plugging in the ethernet cable.
dinjo said:
I actually regret that i didn't got the pink one , better processor bigger RAM but I'm not really sure how good is the support for Pink from Arch Linux

Only the older Pink model ie E01 has 256 MB RAM, the newer one ie B01 has the same RAM as Pro ie 128 MB. Regarding support, the B01 has the same support level as the Pro as its essentially the same hardware. The E01 has even more support from ArchLinux, Debian and many more distros.

so pogoplug pro cant emit WIFI? so it is only use full if i have a wifi enabled modem?

also varkey doess the guide posted in archlinux contain enough information inorder to install the OS success fully?

or is there anything else we need to know before installing archlinux?

^ As of now, no. It can't function as an access point as the drivers and kernel are old. ArchLinux is working on a newer 3.1 Kernel and when that's ready you should be able to get it working as an access point.

Yes, the install script does pretty much everything as far as the OS is concerned.

ok guys. i've got the quote and i'm about to order a pogopink. just one question, after installing archlinux and all.

Is it possible this way that I start the torrent download and go on a 3 day trip. Also, check new the status of the torrents and add more torrents (from a PC) sitting anywhere in d world?

^ holy cow! I'm ordering the pogopink rightaway!

Another issue: I dont have a static IP, I'm on BANL BB 750 UL

---

- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

spawnfreak said:
^ holy cow! I'm ordering the pogopink rightaway!

Another issue: I dont have a static IP, I'm on BANL BB 750 UL

---

- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Ahem, perhaps you have not heard of DDNS?

whats the advantage of this over something like the asus router which you can attach a usb drive to and download via bittorrent? plus it has additional functionalities of a router too. also india warranty.

Its a router this is a nas device much powerful in terms of running apps wont matter u much unless you only want torrents running, in a nutshell if Asus router is dos then pogoplug is windows.

Also you can control torrents on android too on both devices.

dinjo said:
Its a router this is a nas device much powerful in terms of running apps wont matter u much unless you only want torrents running, in a nutshell if Asus router is dos then pogoplug is windows.

Also you can control torrents on android too on both devices.

If the need is only to download torrents, does it allow us to download more number of simultaneous torrents?

can you elaborate on more advantages?

filmguy said:
whats the advantage of this over something like the asus router which you can attach a usb drive to and download via bittorrent? plus it has additional functionalities of a router too. also india warranty.
Sanav3 said:
If the need is only to download torrents, does it allow us to download more number of simultaneous torrents?

can you elaborate on more advantages?

The ASUS does not have enough power to run anything more than torrents, IMO. Once with transmission running, majority of the memory and CPU resources are used up. So if you want to install pyload, for example, for downloading from supported file hosts/cyber lockers, the ASUS will not cut it. The ASUS can handle multiple torrents as someone here on TE has posted that it was running 107 torrents simultaneously.

When compared to resources, these devices have more horsepower than the ASUS.

Also, these devices need a router for operation, they cannot connect directly to the net themselves.

Buy.com is selling pogo pink for $25 and free shipping and if you join friends group which is free you get a $7 discount which brings the price to $18 get it till it last

Back