Plex/Jellyfin Setup Discussion

Supt

Disciple
Wanted to make a dedicated Plex/Jellyfin setup thread.

1. What's your setup? (drop your setup)

I'll go first, currently use my pc as my Jellyfin server along with Sonarr and Prowlarr to get all my Anime.
I use Jellyfin cause Jellyfin Direct Plays most of the stuff I watch.
With Plex I had to reencode a lot of the stuff I watch and for some reason .ASS subtitles won't play on my tv with Plex (had to make a script to extract the subtitles and convert them to .SRT sub files) Jellyfin plays .ASS subs just fine.

Works great now but wanna get something so that I don't have to have my pc on when I'm just watching tv and is available 24/7.

I do have a g4400 and g4560 but not sure how much power it uses, wanna have something that i can run on inverter without it drinking too much power.

2. What's a good OS for Media Server?

Considering these:

1. Raspberry Pi

Which model to get?
How do you connect the HDD's? usb?
can a Raspberry Pi play 4k hdr high bitrate on Direct play?

2. Intel Nuc

Same question how do you connect the HDD's
More expensive than the other options

3. Zimaboard

This one is probably the better option but since it ships from China I'm a bit worried about the shipping and custom charges

Last edited:
A forum search is always helpful. There is already one such thread -
Please ask mods to merge yours with that.

A forum search is always helpful. There is already one such thread -
Please ask mods to merge yours with that.
ohh I did a search before posting this nothing came up.
I'm sure the mods will merge it.

I built my NAS using these specs:
1. Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4560
2. 8 GB Ram
3. Cooler Master Elite 130

I use TrueNas Scale I don't do transcoding as I stream locally only. Works great. I use findroid as a client in android because for some reason there is a audio sync issue on the official JellyFin client but it works if I use MX Player as the default player.

I used to try Plex but android client only plays 15 mins.

I built my NAS using these specs:
1. Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4560
2. 8 GB Ram
3. Cooler Master Elite 130

I use TrueNas Scale I don't do transcoding as I stream locally only. Works great. I use findroid as a client in android because for some reason there is a audio sync issue on the official JellyFin client but it works if I use MX Player as the default player.

I used to try Plex but android client only plays 15 mins.
Any idea how much power that uses cause i have the same cpu.
So how do you add apps to TrueNas? docker?

Any idea how much power that uses cause i have the same cpu.
So how do you add apps to TrueNas? docker?
I'm still planning to buy a watt meter to measure it so I do not know the actual power. My processor has a TDP of 54 W and it doesn't consume much power. I'm still looking for the T series to swap it out as these consume less power. I also haven't touch to bios for disabling audio ports, pcie, USB etc. lol

For apps, I use the official Truenas repository (very less apps) and Truecharts.
You can add https://truecharts.org/charts/description_list repository they have almost all the apps and they are updated quite often.

Amazon has those refurbished Mini Pcs too for consideration.
(Renewed) Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 Desktop Mini PC (Intel Core i3 6th Gen, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 256 GB SSD, WiFi, Windows 11, MS Office, Intel HD Graphics, USB, DP)

https://www.amazon.in/Renewed-Lenovo-ThinkCentre-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B0BM3JPTR1

But upgrades might be a problem and limited storage availability.

I ordered Zimaboard yesterday outside India which my friend is taking home next month. Imo Zimaboard is the best choice for Jellyfin+Nas as its quite cheap and you can have 2x 2.5 inch SSDs but India banning china is the problem.

It took me about 6 months of FB marketplace to get a good deal on my NAS as most are used parts.

Last edited:
I ordered Zimaboard yesterday outside India which my friend is taking home next month. Imo Zimaboard is the best choice for Jellyfin+Nas as its quite cheap and you can have 2x 2.5 inch SSDs but India banning china is the problem.
I just realized your post is how I discovered the Zimabard XD
But upgrades might be a problem and limited storage availability.
Yea used mini pc could be a good idea but how do you add storage(3.5") to it?
I also haven't touch to bios for disabling audio ports, pcie, USB etc. lol
Does that reduce power consumption? didn't know that. Awesome.
For apps, I use the official Truenas repository (very less apps) and Truecharts.
It has the apps I need, perfect.
I'm probably going to play with a few os.
CasaOS which comes with Zimabard doesn't look bad either.

Yea used mini pc could be a good idea but how do you add storage(3.5") to it?
Looking at the form factor, I doubt you can add additional storage. Try youtubing disambled videos.
I'm probably going to play with a few os.
Yea there are a few you can try it. but truenas seems to be the go to but it requires huge amount of ram because of their filesystem. 8gb in minimum from their website.

Imo the best option is building it with a small case, upgrade, repair, etc. is easier.

I was lucky I found Cooler Master Elite 130 for Rs.2k. I mod like this video so that it can have more HDDs.
Its a Mini-ITX PC Case but ECS H110M4-C2H, board seems to fit too.

Last edited:
I run the Jellyfin server on my 2014 Dell tablet with a Core M 5Y10 processor, 4 GB Ram with all the *arr services, qbittorrent, VPN; running Windows 11 and acting as a time/weather/news dashboard with Rainmeter. No hiccups running 4K content natively over LAN.

The power consumption is in the 12W range with the screen on 24x7, so it ends up being more efficient and powerful than a Pi 4. If subtitles cannot be demuxed, I usually run it off Kodi with the Jelly on plugin and download the subtitles using the OpenSubtitles add-on.

In short, you don't need much to run a media server.

Mine is 5600X+1060 for Jellyfin + plex.

Answering OP's questions:
For a Pi, direct play shouldn't be an issue. Encoding would suck.
For ext HDD, I would say externally powered hubs are must. Something like Seagate backup plus hub works best. With pi and omv, it was working fine for me with similar setup.

I use Jellyfin primarily because Plex many a times says 'not directly connected' even if server and client are directly connected to same switch and would hence try to transcode.
Transcoding isn't an issue for me, but when local, I would like it to direct play as often as possible. Hence Jellyfin. Jellyfin sometimes crashes on a few movies, so in such cases I just switch to plex. Saves me troubleshooting time.

Mine is 5600X+1060 for Jellyfin + plex.
That's a beefy setup for Plex holy.
I use Jellyfin primarily because Plex many a times says 'not directly connected' even if server and client are directly connected to same switch and would hence try to transcode.
Transcoding isn't an issue for me, but when local, I would like it to direct play as often as possible. Hence Jellyfin. Jellyfin sometimes crashes on a few movies, so in such cases I just switch to plex. Saves me troubleshooting time.
That's exactly why I switched to Jellyfin as well. I want everything to Direct Play cause it's just smoother. And subtitle support is better on Jellyfin.
For ext HDD, I would say externally powered hubs are must.
I found this 3.5" USB3 Casing maybe this will work 2.5" Casing is a lot cheaper but getting bigger(Storage) 2.5" will probably be harder.
Jellyfin sometimes crashes on a few movies
Yea, movies are the only time Jellyfin might struggle but that's true for Plex as well.
Haven't had any issues with TV Shows.

Last edited:
My setup is 5600G(bought recently) with RX 470. 470 is used for VFIO to windows, and 5600G for Arch linux. I've 16TB of storage (mix of external and old internal drives) (also my main pc)

I mostly use plex for 4K DV content, and jellyfin on phones, and as backup.

The server is connected with wireguard through Oracle free tier. The server also hosts other things like syncthing(photos, books etc), homeassistant, filebrowser, mealie, pihole etc.

I also have pi zero 2W as a pihole, cups for my old printer, and home assistant backup.

2.5" Casing is a lot cheaper but getting bigger 2.5" will probably be harder.
Another issue with 2.5" hard drives is that they run on 5V supply direct from the USB connection. So you will either have to invest in another powered USB hub or your pi will not get enough voltage under load. Not an issue for SSDs as their power consumption is rather low.

Another issue with 2.5" hard drives is that they run on 5V supply direct from the USB connection. So you will either have to invest in another powered USB hub or your pi will not get enough voltage under load. Not an issue for SSDs as their power consumption is rather low.
3.5" one comes with a power adapter and it also supports 2.5" so its an ok option.
But I feel like jerry-rigging a case's hard drive cage and buying a power adapter and sata to usb might just be a better idea XD

3.5" one comes with a power adapter and it also supports 2.5" so its an ok option.
But I feel like jerry-rigging a case's hard drive cage and buying a power adapter and sata to usb might just be a better idea XD
Or buy used Seagate Backup plus/other 3.5" external hdd. You can replace the drive easily

I have been using a NUC as a Plex server with 2 external 5TB hard drives attached to it, and Nvidia Shield as a client connected to my TV via the AVR. I would like to upgrade from that NUC because it is too weak, being a Celeron J4025. I connect to it via remote desktop to download content and some other stuff, but I think it is a bit too slow for all the programs that are continuously running on it. I don't need any transcoding capabilities but need something small, a bit powerful, and silent. I was thinking of getting an i5 NUC, but does someone has any other recommendations? TIA!

Last edited:
I have been using a NUC as a Plex server with 2 external 5TB hard drives attached to it, and Nvidia Shield as a client connected to my TV. I would like to upgrade from that NUC because it is too weak, being a Celeron J4025. I connect to it via remote desktop to download content and some other stuff, but I think it is a bit too slow for all the programs that are continuously running on it. I don't need any transcoding but need something small, a bit powerful, and silent. I was thinking of getting an i5 NUC, but does someone has any other recommendations? TIA!
Since you connect using remote desktop im gonna go ahead and guess you are running Windows. That is 100% the culprit.
I would recommend an OS that is designed to run home media server like unraid or trueNAS or openmediavault.
And maybe look into Sonarr and Radarr with Prowlerr. But if you prefer getting your media manually you can use this tool to add torrents to your nas remotely from your pc.

Since you connect using remote desktop im gonna go ahead and guess you are running Windows. That is 100% the culprit.
I would recommend an OS that is designed to run home media server like unraid or trueNAS or openmediavault.
And maybe look into Sonarr and Radarr with Prowlerr. But if you prefer getting your media manually you can use this tool to add torrents to your nas remotely from your pc.
It is not just Plex and torrents, I also have JDownloader, Megasync, Foobar (with FoobarCon to control it from my phone), and Spotify running on it. I may be able to find the corresponding versions of these for other OS, but I would like to stick to Windows as I that is what I am comfortable with. So... Any mini PC recommendations?

Back