Player for 15k

I have 15k budget to spend on a pmp. My music library occupies nearly 20GB...And I always need a couple of sitcoms and loads of movies....
I'm worried that flash cycles get over soon due to my everyday use....I need something that can last and has space and mainly great sound quality....
What should I go for?

IMO go for itouch 32gb 3g.It has got 3.5-inch screen which is good enough for watching sitcoms (i dont like watching movies in pmp).

it costs ard 14.5k in mumbai.

there are other products too but i have little knowledge abt them(such as cowon,zune etc).

jeffrain123 said:
How bout the Ipod Classic 160GB? Any opinions?

Hell no. mecanical harddrive, not many apps, slower read write, a drop can kill the HDD inside (and voids warranty).

era of HDD based players had ended.

flash FTW!!!!

^ Who said a drop guarantees a dead HDD and Apple doesn't honor warranty for dead HDD in a classic ipod ? :|.

Anyways since the OP wants a player for audio as well as video(movies) the classic screen will be too small for video.

The best options are ,

iTouch 32GB - good music and video ,wi-fi, tons of applications,games available. Itunes can be a pain though.

Cowon S9 16GB- superior audio quality (best in this range), beautiful capacitive AMOLED screen.not many games/ apps like itouch.

Zune HD - good audio quality and superior screen compared to itouch and S9.I've tried Sharekhan's ZUNE HD , trust me on this the screen is the most beautiful Ive seen till date in a PMP. ;).

The Zune HD isn't officially available in India . So the only way to get it is KMD or 20north :p KMD's charges for 16GB would be ~12-13k and 32GB ~16K.

Capacity wise, yes the ipod classic 160GB is. Retails for ~12k through eBay. Get it for Rs. 1000 off using an ICICI debit or credit card.

jeffrain123 said:
So if i omit the video facility, the classic's the best?

Not really. You still need to stick to Itunes which can be a real pain at times.. :p *syncing the device to only 1 PC* etc.

If you really need that 120GB of space ,then yes the classic is your best option or else look elsewhere.

If video is not your main priority ,Cowon D2+ with added memory is also a good option. :)

I've plenty of experience with itunes & a classic 80GB for 4 months.....now it accidently got broke...
So for how many cycles do the flash players last?

FaH33m said:
^ Who said a drop guarantees a dead HDD and Apple doesn't honor warranty for dead HDD in a classic ipod ? :|.

Anyways since the OP wants a player for audio as well as video(movies) the classic screen will be too small for video.
The best options are ,
iTouch 32GB - good music and video ,wi-fi, tons of applications,games available. Itunes can be a pain though.

Cowon S9 16GB- superior audio quality (best in this range), beautiful capacitive AMOLED screen.not many games/ apps like itouch.

Zune HD - good audio quality and superior screen compared to itouch and S9.I've tried Sharekhan's ZUNE HD , trust me on this the screen is the most beautiful Ive seen till date in a PMP. ;).

The Zune HD isn't officially available in India . So the only way to get it is KMD or 20north :p KMD's charges for 16GB would be ~12-13k and 32GB ~16K.

I said "can" kill the HDD. And yes, it can kill the HDD.

@OP,

flash cycles getting used up on heavy write-read activity: as per Samsung exec "a pattern could be perpetually repeated in which a 64GB SSD is completely filled with data, erased, filled again, then erased again every hour of every day for years, and the user still wouldn't reach the theoretical write limit." So, this would be the least of your worries. I bough ipod nano in the year 2005 which is now being used by my sister and still, it's solid!

given that your music collection is 20GB in size, you can fit around 20-30 movies in remaining 10gig space (after encoding). And trust me, watching videos on ipod touch is lot lot lot easier on eyes than that on ipod classic. And will you be listening to every single song in that 20Gb collection? why not cut down 5-7 Gb?

Cowon J3 once its available. Don't think it has Wifi but other than that its got everything you need. Should be out in India soon, its on ebay Korea already.

So it's finalised down to 3 options-
Classic 160GB
Touch 32/64GB
Cowon S9 32GB

what sort of applications are run on a touch? There's no wifi here.....

jeffrain123 said:
So it's finalised down to 2 options-
Classic 160GB
Touch 32/64GB

what sort of applications are run on a touch? There's no wifi here.....

there is an app for every functionality you would need to have. let me know few things that you might want to do and I will suggest some apps for the same.

Back