Petition To Stop Indian Railways Wasting Tax Payers Money on Windows.

@dhiru and @main_trouble

Please read these articles and you'l understand what all of us are saying..They maybe a bit blunt..Not for the weak hearted linux fanbois..:p

Linux Hater's Blog: Why Linux is NOT Better.com

Linux Hater's Blog: At least we don't have any viruses

Linux Hater's Blog: Good software isn't really free

Linux Hater's Blog: The fallacy of choice

Linux Hater's Blog: Lusers make me laugh ver. 1

Linux Hater's Blog: Lusers make me laugh ver. 2

Linux Hater's Blog: Evolution of an Ubuntu user

Linux Hater's Blog: Of silos and samba

Linux Hater's Blog: Wild rationalizations

Linux Hater's Blog: Feel the source

Linux Hater's Blog: Don't feed the trolls!
And i think Lord nemesis has explained everything correctly, these links take his explanation further..:)
Please dont repeat the same things again and again, if anything, atleast give some concrete reasons..

If you are stil bent upon it even after this then you guys are beyond reason..:no:

Rehne do yaar. Jab logo ka dimag hi phira ho to beeen bajan se kya fayeda :|

@Lord Nemesis : Really Linux will cost more than Windows.. :rofl: Even if they opti for Enterprise Ed. Support they won't even get closer to Windows price :p

Party Monger said:
@dhiru and @main_trouble
Please read these articles and you'l understand what all of us are saying..They maybe a bit blunt..Not for the weak hearted linux fanbois..:p

Linux Hater's Blog: Why Linux is NOT Better.com

Linux Hater's Blog: At least we don't have any viruses

Linux Hater's Blog: Good software isn't really free

Linux Hater's Blog: The fallacy of choice

Linux Hater's Blog: Lusers make me laugh ver. 1

Linux Hater's Blog: Lusers make me laugh ver. 2

Linux Hater's Blog: Evolution of an Ubuntu user

Linux Hater's Blog: Of silos and samba

Linux Hater's Blog: Wild rationalizations

Linux Hater's Blog: Feel the source

Linux Hater's Blog: Don't feed the trolls!

And i think Lord nemesis has explained everything correctly, these links take his explanation further..:)
Please dont repeat the same things again and again, if anything, atleast give some concrete reasons..
If you are stil bent upon it even after this then you guys are beyond reason..:no:

dude i have seen those links long time ago.
actually that is one of the funniest blogs ever.i am a regular there.
dude u forgot one thing.
that blog is actually made made by a linux programmer(obvious from his knowledge of code/bugs submisssion , upstream/downstream stuff)

he just wants to point out how linux still has a way to go for normal desktop user( i believe ubuntu is just there IMHO) and trying to point out too much of politics in linux now a days.

another thing.

all the links u sent were from just one blog!!!

go and google "why linux is better than windows"
u will find more blogs/links/articles than u could ever study/imagine.:bleh:

Dark Star said:
Rehne do yaar. Jab logo ka dimag hi phira ho to beeen bajan se kya fayeda :|

@Lord Nemesis : Really Linux will cost more than Windows.. :rofl: Even if they opti for Enterprise Ed. Support they won't even get closer to Windows price :p
bro never generalize.

those supporting linux haven't said anything bout u or ur dimag.

this is thread bout a serious thing.
but linux vs windows always brings out kinda os-patriotism from people and that is fully understood as long as they don't resort to personal attacks.

let this be a sensible thread . but os wars will always bring some fun with them;)

still we must never have any personal attacks on anyone.

@dark star..

no offense dude.. but what makes you think that you might know more about this than people who are actually IN the field?

main_trouble said:
dude i have seen those links long time ago.
actually that is one of the funniest blogs ever.i am a regular there.
I know but what i also noticed were some verry relevant points..
dude u forgot one thing.
that blog is actually made made by a linux programmer(obvious from his knowledge of code/bugs submisssion , upstream/downstream stuff)
Isnt that actually bad for linux in this debate??:p
Linux programmer blowing all the linux fanboi's most precious arguments into peices with sane logic and reality and proof..
Here's the blogs title "We hate Linux. And you should too."
he just wants to point out how linux still has a way to go for normal desktop user( i believe ubuntu is just there IMHO)
Linux Hater's Blog: Evolution of an Ubuntu user :eek:hyeah:
another thing.
all the links u sent were from just one blog!!!
go and google "why linux is better than windows"
u will find more blogs/links/articles than u could ever study/imagine.:bleh:
Linux Hater's Blog: Why Linux is NOT Better.com And they would all give me the same rants that most linux fanboi's sing around..
And what sort of argument is that?? Am i supposed to give hundreds of links when one of them is much more than sufficient.. I bet most of linux fanboi's wud hav realised the truth after reasing it..:lol:

Now as @party monger is spreading FUD on FOSS and GNU/Linux ,Let we have a debate over here. :)

Whoa, look at that, there is a Linux hater’s blog, and whoa, it has a new post about my whylinuxisbetter.net website. From the post: “[…] it reads like a talking point manual for your local neighborhood Linux zealot. I thought we might have a bit of fun with this one.” Hmm, let’s see… Yay, let’s fight :)

* Is your system unstable? “Who knew. When a system doesn’t do anything, it doesn’t crash.” All of Google runs Linux. So Google doesn’t do anything? Well that’s news. Nasa probably doesn’t do anything either? The French administration doesn’t do anything? Oh wait, that was a bad example.

* Choose what your desktop looks like… “To make yourself feel better about it not being to do anything. At least it is pretty.” Huh, were you just talking about Windows Vista? :)

* Too many windows? Use workspaces. “Yes. Spaces.” Oh, you mean that Mac OS X thing? So if I got two windows A and B on space 1, I put window B in front/focus, then I go to space 2, then back to 1, woops, now A is in front of B. And this is the newest version of the OS, released this year. Linux got this right 10 years ago.

* Why does your Windows get slower day after day? “Because you install a shit-ton of crap on it? If the same large selection of software could run on Linux, users would be having all the same problems“. Would they now? Fortunately for Linux, uninstalling software is done in a clean way and doesn’t leave a shit-ton of crap in your registry.

* Forget about viruses. “I think we went over that already” (with a link to another post). Oh, so the problem of viruses in Windows is completely fixed, solve, basta, finito? That’s news as well.

* Linux protects your computer. “What does that even mean? It sounds like the same as [the previous one]“. Does that mean the problems with spyware, adware, etc. is fixed as well? Well, great. Oh, but maybe you don’t know about them because you’re protected, right? How much did you pay for this protection? Are all users well protected? Is the average user well protected? I guess not because otherwise, all these crapware problems would have gone away by now, right? :)

* Don’t pay $300 for your operating system. “But spend 10 weekends setting it up“. Well, now I understand why you don’t like Linux that much, that’s because last time you tried to install it was 10 years ago! Got it. By the way, last time I installed Windows, it took me a whole day to go, fetch, and install all the device drivers for my hardware. And reboot after installing each one of them. Last time I installed Ubuntu, I spent 10mn in front of the screen, went away for 20mn, and everything was working and ready to be used when I came back.

* Does your digital life seem fragmented? “No? Does anyone care? Is it so hard to click three buttons to defragment?“. Well if it takes 5 hours and I can’t use my computer during that time, yes. Oh but didn’t you just wonder whether anyone cared? So why are you still doing it? :)

To be fair, let me say that whylinuxisbetter.net mentions several situations where you’re better off keeping Windows, including (among others) if you work for the book/printing industry or are a hardcore gamer. Linux isn’t perfect, but what this website says is that it’s better than Windows for most users.

answers for anti-linux FUD from linux haters blog :-

Dreamer ant Blog Archive Answer to Linux hater blog

truth is ,window$ fanboys getting panicked(as you can see here) :p

Why Linux is better -for more reasons :rofl:

Is your system unstable ?

Have you ever lost your precious work because Windows crashed? Do you always shut down your computer the proper way, or do you sometimes just switch it off because Windows has gone crazy and doesn't let you do anything anymore? Have you ever gotten the "blue screen of death" or error messages telling you that the computer needs to be shut down for obscure reasons?

The latest versions of Windows, especially the "Professional" ones are becoming more stable than before. Nevertheless this kind of problem still happens fairly often.

Of course, no operating system is perfect, and people who tell you that theirs can never ever crash are lying. However, some operating systems can be so stable that most users never see their systems crash, even after several years. This is true for Linux. Here's a good way to see this. When a system crashes, it needs to be shut down or restarted. Therefore, if your computer can stay up and running for a long time, no matter how much you use it, then you can say the system is stable. Well, Linux can run for yearswithout needing to be restarted (most internet servers run Linux, and they usually never restart). Of course, with heavy updates, it still needs to be restarted (the proper way). But if you install Linux, and then use your system as much as you want, leaving your computer on all the time, you can go on like that for years without having any trouble.

Most of the time, you won't leave your computer on for such a long time, but this shows how stable Linux is.

Why not Windows | www.getgnulinux.org

hmmm.... so reasons for window$ vi$ta how it failed flopped ?

below reasons give you a outline:

What's wrong with Microsoft Windows Vista?

by John Sullivan — last modified 2007-04-16 18:53

Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system is a giant step backward for your freedoms.

Usually, new software enables you to do more with your computer. Vista, though, is designed to restrict what you can do.

Vista enforces new forms of “Digital Rights Management (DRM)”. DRM is more accurately called Digital Restrictions Management, because it is a technology that Big Media and computer companies try to impose on us all, in order to have control over how our computers are used.

Technology security expert Bruce Schneier explains it most concisely:

Windows Vista includes an array of “features” that you don't want. These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure. They'll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will cause technical support problems. They may even require you to upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software. And these features won't do anything useful. In fact, they're working against you. They're digital rights management (DRM) features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment industry—And you don't get to refuse them.

DRM gives power to Microsoft and Big Media.

* They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer

* They decide which features of your computer or software you can use at any given moment

* They force you to install new programs even when you don't want to (and, of course, pay for the privilege)

* They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files

DRM is enforced by technological barriers. You try to do something, and your computer tells you that you can't. To make this effective, your computer has to be constantly monitoring what you are doing. This constant monitoring uses computing power and memory, and is a large part of the reason why Microsoft is telling you that you have to buy new and more powerful hardware in order to run Vista. They want you to buy new hardware not because you need it, but because your computer needs it in order to be more effective at restricting what you do.

Microsoft and other computer companies sometimes refer to these restrictions as “Trusted Computing.” Given that they are designed to make it so that your computer stops trusting you and starts trusting Microsoft, these restrictions are more appropriately called “Treacherous Computing”.

Even when you legally buy Vista, you don't own it.

Windows Vista, like previous versions of Windows, is proprietary software: leased to you under a license that severely restricts how you can use it, and without source code, so nobody but Microsoft can change it or even verify what it really does.

Microsoft says it best:

The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways.

To make it even more confusing, different versions of Vista have different licensing restrictions. You can read all of the licenses at Retail Software License Terms.

It's painful to read the licenses, and this is often why people don't object to them. But if we don't start objecting, we will lose valuable freedoms. Here are some of the ridiculous restrictions you will find in your reading:

* If your copy of Vista came with the purchase of a new computer, that copy of Vista may only be legally used on that machine, forever.

* If you bought Vista in a retail store and installed it on a machine you already owned, you have to completely delete it on that machine before you can install it on another machine.

* You give Microsoft the right, through programs like Windows Defender, to delete programs from your system that it decides are spyware.

* You consent to being spied upon by Microsoft, through the “Windows Genuine Advantage” system. This system tries to identify instances of copying that Microsoft thinks are illegitimate. Unfortunately, a recent study indicated that this system has already screwed up in over 500,000 cases.

Free software like GNU/Linux does not require you to consent to these absurd licensing terms. It is called free software because you are free to make as many copies as you want, and to share it with as many friends as you want. Nobody will be monitoring your actions or falsely calling you a thief.

What you can do to help protect your freedom

There is a battle underway between those who value freedom, and corporations such as Microsoft who wish to profit by taking that freedom away. DRM and absurd licenses are at the heart of that battle. Please join us on the side of freedom by saying NO not just to Windows Vista and other DRM-enabled products, but to proprietary software in general. Instead, use non-DRM, “free” software such as the GNU/Linux operating system. You can get your work done while ensuring that your rights and freedoms will not be restricted now and into the future.

As more and more of our lives become digital, it is vital that we protect our digital freedoms just like we have always worked to protect our freedom of expression in print and speech.

Join the BadVista.org campaign today.

What's wrong with Microsoft Windows Vista? — BadVista ...continued

....continued :)

well ,those who use windows ,let them use windows ,nobody is asking them to stop.but you must think what a monopoly M$ is now ! you are supporting software patents ,DRM(Digital Restrictive Management) ,Vendor-Lockin ,EULA venom etc by supporting microsoft :(

Go on! FOSS is a community project ,it is NOT against people as @party monger FUD'ed earlier.

FOSS is ,not like we are asking a service and giving attitude to them as if we paid them the money for GNU/Linux ,Apache ,Mysql etc.

Instead give the FOSS devels and users the due respect and support ,not by FUDing as the guy above did:mad::mad::mad::mad:.

First que : being a gamers forum this is ,I can understands the cry for pro-window$ ....but use *nix and FOSS ,support them.

windows.png
What's wrong with Microsoft?

Before I do anything else, let me assure you, this is not an anti-MS rant bashing their monopoly abuses, software patents, anti-competitive behaviour, or anything else.

No, the biggest problem with MS is far worse. It's the users they create.

To explain, let's go back in time a number of years. Let's look at the original computers. They filled whole rooms with huge, chunky hardware and were only really useful for very clever mathematicians. Then along came the microchip and the modem and IBM and Microsoft. Suddenly we had an internet. It was text-based, and you had to be pretty technology-savvy to use it.

And then there was Windows. It had pretty icons and simple menus and it brought computers to the masses. You didn't need years of training to use it, just drag the cursor around with a mouse and click on the icon you wanted. Anybody could do it.

And anybody did. Even now, years later, somebody who's never used a computer before can sit down in front of a Windows PC and get surfing the 'Net without any training or understanding. No matter what your opinion of MS may be, you have to admit, they've got a stunningly easy-to-use GUI.

This has probably been Microsoft's greatest strength through the years. They give you a computer that you can use almost instantly. No knowledge required. It has, however, created their greatest weakness, and caused the whole world many problems.

I first came to the Internet in 1995. Spam was an almost unknown problem back then, but chain letters were quite common. There was one quite common one, which basically said: "Microsoft are tracking this email with clever new software. Forward it to lots of people and they'll pay you for helping them test it!"

The first time I got this mail, I frowned, and looked closer. It was a plain text file with no attachments. Headers were normal. There was no software involved. This thing could not possibly be tracking its movements. I deleted it as junk.

I received it again, and again, and again. I still get it occasionally even now. Why? Because there are people out there who don't know enough to know that the email is a lie. Because they don't know how email works.

They don't know how to tell if there's software attached to a email. They don't know that self-running software in email is something the world has been trying to make impossible for a long time. They don't know that there would be no point in Microsoft checking how an email spreads. All they know is that it costs them nothing to send it "just in case" and they might get some money back if it's genuine. And so it spreads.

Harmless enough, you might think. It just means a few silly chain letters every now and again. Well, here’s where it gets less harmless: More than 80% of all the spam you receive was sent to you from a PC owned by a clueless Windows user. How harmless is that?

I have a reputation amongst friends & colleagues as the guy to ask if you have a computer problem. I get a lot of questions from typical Windows users. Here are some common things I get asked:

• "Do I need a virus checker?"
  • "What's a firewall?"
  • "Do I really need to install updates? They take ages to download."
  • "Why doesn't this unknown attachment in an email from somebody I don't know do anything when I double-click it?"
This is the level of knowledge I've come to expect from a Windows user. They have a vague idea that antivirus software is a good thing to have, and there their knowledge stops. They'll click on any attachment, download any software, and surf the Web for hours without any protection software at all between them and their broadband-connection to the Net.

Sadly, a lot of the software they unwittingly install and run isn't just viruses any more. No, it's malware: Software that does nasty things behind your back. It may record their keystrokes and send their passwords & credit card information to the scumbags who wrote the software. Or they might just suddenly find their computer runs really slowly.

Why? Because it's too busy flooding the world with spam to worry about their web browsing.

If software gets installed on a Windows PC with administrative rights, it can do absolutely anything. It's called a Zombie PC at this point, because it's really not your PC any more: It's controlled by the cracker, not you. It has two particularly nasty uses:

• It launches attacks on other computers from your PC in order to spread the malware
  • It starts spamming the world
It's not just the unfortunate unwitting users who are running this garbage that suffer: It's everybody. It's estimated that very soon, there will be more spam mails being sent than genuine email. And it's only possible because spam is sent from unwitting Windows users' home PC's. Thank you, Microsoft.

Windows has been blamed heavily for being a hugely insecure OS. Viruses plague it, malware infests it. The blame isn't entirely down to the OS. It's perfectly possible to use a Windows PC without ever getting hit by malware. I've done it, never had a virus of spyware on one of my computers, and I've used Windows since 3.1. A clued-up user can be perfectly safe using Windows.

But there aren't enough of those users. There are too many people using computers who have no protection installed and a "Click on everything" mindset. They're not just hurting themselves, they're hurting us all. And they're a problem that can't be solved by software.

True story: A friend asked me to help her install something. She'd taken my advice and wasn't running an Administrative account on Windows. The software required Administrative privileges in order to install. I told her she'd have to switch to the Admin account to install it. Offhandedly, I asked her what it was.

"Something I got in an email," she replied vaguely. "I think it’s a game of some sort."

*sigh* I took a look. Malware. Had she been running as Admin, the software would have installed, and her machine been infected. None of the protective measures installed on her PC would have saved her: Admin trumps all.

That's the problem with clueless Windows users for you, in a nutshell: They don't know what they're doing, but they insist on doing it anyway. No matter how good Microsoft make their software, they'll never make it good enough to compensate for users like this, users who'll even switch off their protective software in order to install malware if it's got a good cover story.

The solution? Well, it's happening already. And no, it's not "Everybody use Linux" - The same clueless users who turn off their antivirus to install malware will cheerfully log in as root to do the same thing in Linux.

The only solution is to have less clueless users. There's no way around it.

Fortunately, that's the trend. Computers and the Internet started out as new and strange things, things people had to try and learn about late in life. Old dogs and new tricks. Windows made it big because it made the new tricks so easy.

But since then, people are being born into a Web-aware world. Kids are growing up with computers and the internet. They're learning right from day one how to use a computer. Slowly, clueless users are fading away and clued-up users are replacing them. It's an irreversible trend. Sooner or later, it will triumph.

What happens then? Well, there's the rub. Windows is heavily dependent on it's biggest problem. The only thing it really has going for it is how easy it is to use. MS can point at Linux and say how hard it would be to switch, and people will happily agree. Today.

But what happens in a few years, when the clueless have been replaced by the clued-up? When Linux's increasing ease-of-use meets the decreasing amount of cluelessness? What happens when there's no real barrier to entering the FOSS world and people start comparing OS functionality instead of GUI aesthetics?

It'll be a very interesting time, when computers have careful, well-informed users running them and keeping unwanted software out of them. Think about it: No spam, no malware. . .

No Windows?

Maybe. We shall see!

What's wrong with Microsoft?

People ! Read these posts thoroughly and think again!

PS: I am not against those who are using windows. I am just suggesting :)

A big enterprise like IR will have various levels of PC usage in their environment.

I think for environments like Reservation counters, Point-of-Sale, where strict uptime is needed, etc. linux will beat Windows in every aspect. It will save both cost, maintenance expenses and infrastructure costs.

In that aspect, IR can learn something from LIC of India which is told to have done a huge migration to linux. I have found even small medium co.s shifting to linux for mundane tasks.

Also, for mission critical apps like telecomm, etc. linux is always preferred. I luckily have opportunity to enter inside few of such systems and was surprised to see behemoth systems from Sun, etc. for which they say there is no immediate replacement from Windows till date.

But, for other uses like correspondence, excel charts, etc. Windows surely excels. Their its better if they use Windows.

Whether we like it or not Linux is going to be and is almost mainstream in current world and even in India in average big companies.

To shun linux is not intelligent - this is my view as I belong to IT field atleast a bit.

i am unable to imagine that how much immature you people are to even think that Linux is not safe to run task like railways which involve dealing with large no of people's lives....

what do u guys think....such large corporations and govt agencies like NASA (yaa the people who send live people to space on a damn burning rocket) don't care for the people and money involved....

if you guys have no idea how vastly and diversely has Linux been deployed, how safe it is, then please stop commenting....its right there from microcomputer to supercomputer.....from finance to saving people's live....

Even our Police and Army rely on this (please correct me on this if i am wrong....)

just saying that windows has MS support, so it is safe to bank on people's life and not Linux, is really BS.

who is asking railway to install some naive distro....go for Redhat, or Opensuse....even Ubuntu is has gained respect in business.....all have world class support.....u don't need to post ur queries in forums once u get business support...

and its not just about software cost only...what about hardware upgrade cost required for Vista...what about the security.....what about space for modifying the application for specific needs which may arise....will the great MS respond to your customized needs....

and the money which is going to US based company (yaa MS....) could have better gone to Indian IT experts for providing top class support for Linux environment.....

look, there is no doubt that Windows is easy for home users...but there can't be any justification for using Windows in corporate setup specially govt. where you need to buys thousand of computers....where your needs are specific (not playing video dvd which give you a hard time in Linux).....where you need customization....where National Security is involved.....

and yes a request to all guys, please don't convert this thread to a flame war as well...

please try to bring in some wise comment...

don't do any personal comment....

lets get some mature argument running up here.....

Lol . Thats all I have to say to the person who linked Linux Haters Blogs :rofl: . I don't give a damn which system they implements it in as long as they Railways get much better than its current state.

And I thought this forum was much better when it came to OS bandwagonism. I see I was wrong.

@party monger

i know but what i also noticed were some verry relevant points..

yep he is showing all the bad points of linux , and we thank him for making us laugh in the way. also as his blog is getting popular day by day , it is doing no harm to his finances.
Isnt that actually bad for linux in this debate??:p

Linux programmer blowing all the linux fanboi's most precious arguments into peices with sane logic and reality and proof..

dude that is because , that guy is/was passionate bout linux.

if a guy doesnt like linux , simple , donot use it. u were not cheated as u didn't pay for it .

u donot deserver a refund , u can't complaint to anyone .

so what does a guy hike him do , simple rant off on the internet.
And what sort of argument is that?? Am i supposed to give hundreds of links when one of them is much more than sufficient.. I bet most of linux fanboi's wud hav realised the truth after reasing it..:lol:

it is of same sort as being made by u.

u just quoted a semi-serious , linux bashing blog.

if i started quoting blogs bout "linux is better than windows" then there would be a few problems of space.

and dude who has once called u a windows fanboi?

u r the one using "fanboi" term like a fashion.;)

and stop spreading this FUD.

linux may still have some teething problems as far as desktop usage is concerned (all that codec/softwares/hardware stuff)

but these donot even count for an enterprise usage like that needed by railways.

and last but not the least

have a look at this

[Phoronix] Linux 2.6.26 Kernel Benchmarks

when was the last time a new version of windows was more efficient, faster than previous one?

main_trouble said:
@party monger

yep he is showing all the bad points of linux , and we thank him for making us laugh in the way. also as his blog is getting popular day by day , it i9s foing no harm to his finances.
dude that is because , that guy is/was passionate bout linux.

if a guy doesnt like linux , simple , donot use it. u were not cheated as u didn't pay for it .

u donot deserver a refund , u can't complaint to anyone .

so what does a guy hike him do , simple rant off on the internet.
it is of same sort as being made by u.

u just quoted a semi-serious , linux bashing blog.

if i started quoting blogs bout "linux is better than windows" then there would be a few problems of space.

and dude who has once called u a windows fanboi?

u r the one using "fanboi" term like a fashion.;)

and stop spreading this FUD.

linux may still have some teething problems as far as desktop usage is concerned (all that codec/softwares/hardware stuff)

but these donot even count for an enterprise usage like that needed by railways.

and last but not the least

have a look at this

[Phoronix] Linux 2.6.26 Kernel Benchmarks

when was the last time a new version of windows was more efficient, faster than previous one?

[pointless request which'll surely not be heeded]

guys give it a rest.

[/pointless request which'll surely not be heeded]

to be honest, a properly run XP ( with a very tight control on the stuff you install ) , like the one I use at work , will rarely crash. I haven't gotten a BSOD on my current system ever, during the last one week. and my other system ( win2k3 server , running drupal on apache/mysql ) has been up for a few months now :p

on the other side , my home ubuntu install got screwed over once when i installed KDE4 ( horribly slow) and uninstalled it, had to run gdm from command line ( I'm a newbie and fairly uncomfortable with command line ) , then reinstall it.

Then last week i updated it , and rebooted , and X crashed. granted I was running ATi proprietary drivers ( were working fine till then ), but wasn't that what bulletproof X was supposed to take care of ? On my nvidia system , nvidia-xconfig came to the rescue. What do i do with Ati ? I shouldnt be having these problems. In windows I can boot into safe mode or last known good configuration. What do I do here ? Fixing this might be Ati's problem, but where did bulletproof X go ?

I really do love linux, and I suppose when properly run by people who know it , should beat windows , but for those claiming it to be the panacea for all ills , should think twice.

Back