Personal Video player, 4.3" to 5" screen size, what are the options ? EDIT: Bought: Nexus 7 2012

@Kilroyquasar

I understand you are on budget but believe me, i would say buy a device once and then don't think about "upgrading" for a long time if you don't really need the "upgrade".
Do not buy no name brands or Indian "chinese" brands as they will have one or the other issue, quality control issues, may be bad screen resolution and all.
In tabs i was also thinking about sub 6K ones and all but quality is always questionable.
As i mentioned i had finalized on that Byond Phablet III for around 6.5K (after coupon) from ebay.in but when i read more about it, realized it is a piece of junk.
May be go and read my thread in GT, Mehenga Roye ek baar, sasta roye baar baar :p

one brand in my mind, albeit a chinese one, is, ainol. several people here and on other forums have this tab, and are happy with it. i would totally avoid buying it new, but can consider buying it used from any forumer.

apart from that, would you recommend any other tab from brands like hcl/iball, etc.? if not, any other, esp. one that i could get 'used'?

one brand in my mind, albeit a chinese one, is, ainol. several people here and on other forums have this tab, and are happy with it. i would totally avoid buying it new, but can consider buying it used from any forumer.

apart from that, would you recommend any other tab from brands like hcl/iball, etc.? if not, any other, esp. one that i could get 'used'?

Since you like me want it for videos as well, we have to be sure that the processing power of the tab is enough to play most videos (if not 1080p). Cheaper unknown companies or the chinese rebrands may not have that processing power. I may be wrong here.
Ainol is actually a good company. My MP4 player was of ainol brand only. Used you may or may not get. Check olx quikr too.

Go for this Asus Tablet.

This fits your needs precisely, for reading books and watching videos.
Display is same as my Samsung Tab2 and it has a better battery too.

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-memo-p...WSRZ&ref=1ed54e38-726a-44fa-8a1c-d58a8b6c524d

It sells for Rs5899 in Flipkart, which is slightly over your budget, but you get a very good brand (Makers of Nexus7) :)

Go for this Asus Tablet.

This fits your needs precisely, for reading books and watching videos.
Display is same as my Samsung Tab2 and it has a better battery too.

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-memo-p...WSRZ&ref=1ed54e38-726a-44fa-8a1c-d58a8b6c524d

It sells for Rs5899 in Flipkart, which is slightly over your budget, but you get a very good brand (Makers of Nexus7) :)

Just one thing, if @Kilroyquasar wants bluetooth (i wanted it) then this does not have BT. Also check reviews on FK before buying. Btw since it is ASUS only will not mean it will be good. Because i had considered the memopad HD 7 which i would have got shipped from US amazon for same price of nexus and it is supposedly better than Nexus 7 2012 on paper but i read reviews about problems like microSD card dislodging and quality issues with the tablet.
So just saying that do all research before buying.

thanks!

yes, i had checked that asus tab, and read the reviews. most of them focus on gaming, and i don't play games on Android, so not bothered about it. so considering it as one of the options, the others being:

- amazon kindle fire (2012) - there's one on sale for 6k.

- hp touchpad (but this seems to be out of the budget).

- nexus 7, my last option. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1384936524][/DOUBLEPOST]forgot to mention, that i would rarely watch 1080p videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1384937261][/DOUBLEPOST]saw that N7 is back to its diwali-price now. tempting indeed. on a 2nd note, if i could somehow get a 10% off coupon from someone for flipkart, i could try to get it. :)

Last edited:
Just one thing, if @Kilroyquasar wants bluetooth (i wanted it) then this does not have BT. Also check reviews on FK before buying. Btw since it is ASUS only will not mean it will be good. Because i had considered the memopad HD 7 which i would have got shipped from US amazon for same price of nexus and it is supposedly better than Nexus 7 2012 on paper but i read reviews about problems like microSD card dislodging and quality issues with the tablet.
So just saying that do all research before buying.
That nexus & 2012 version is looking really tempting. :(
Feel like selling my Tab2 and buy that, but still i am not sure that the resolution difference between tab2 and n7 would be considerable enough. :(

That nexus & 2012 version is looking really tempting. :(
Feel like selling my Tab2 and buy that, but still i am not sure that the resolution difference between tab2 and n7 would be considerable enough. :(

i read some user reporting ebooks looking a bit grainy on the nexus, but there are those too who are happy with reading on that. i would like to go with the experience of the latter. :)

Try contacting some member from your city who has Nexus 7 and demo it and see.

if the n7 doesnt come out to be with good display, then i would be left in the lurch, as then i would be left without any options. so i would like to believe that its better than the other options i have. :p

SOS! this choices-business got nastier. now have these 4 alternatives with me:

1. a rooted amazon kindle fire (2012) with accessories, for 6k - hopefully, would decide about this one today after getting reply from the seller. if it doesnt support extension of memory, then will pass it.

2. a rooted, unused nook tab for 7.25k.

3. a rooted, unused nexus 7 (may 2013 purchase) for 7.25k.

4. a new nexus 7 from flipkart for 9k + 1500/- more for accessories.

having a really tough time taking a call. :confused:

finally, all other options ticked off one-by-one, and am now left with the last alternative, ie, to buy the Nexus 7! :( :)

I am an Nexus 7 owner. I watch an occasional video and primarily use it to read e-books. The tablet is awesome. And being a Nexus owner u get latest OS updates (for the OCD ones who need to be updated :p) The tablet performs well and is more than sufficient for watching videos and e-book reading.

I will report by next week or so because i have my Nexus still lying Idle and i use it very little due to no screenguard and no case. I shall get both tomorrow hopefully and then next couple of days i will use it in office bus. Hope people do not look at me like i am an alien.

Ok so first day for the field test of Nexus 7 video player on the road. Since there were not many people in my office bus, the seat besides me was also empty. So no prying eyes today. Watching TV shows on this bigger screen is so awesome. More for me because i come from iPhone 3.5" screen. So this is like keeping 4 iPhone screens in square fashion.
How many shows i can watch in one full charge is yet to be seen. Also for me many things change like, in day time, i have to turn the brightness up while in evening times, i would turn it down. Also since i use Bluetooth receiver (and not directly plugging in headphone), it would attribute to more battery usage i feel.
Will write here as my experience of using this bigger screen pans out.

i checked some tabs at croma today. here are my findings:

1. the amount of RAM can significantly affect a user's experience. using a 1GB RAM phone, a 512MB RAM tab/phone simply doesn't feel 'right' now! even if one goes to check some tabs at a store, and happens to check a tab with 512 gigs and 1 gig side-by-side, he can't help but notice the snappier UI of the 1 gig tab. this finding is relevant, esp. for me, as till a few days back, i was seriously considering getting a used Nook tablet (8GB; with 512MB RAM) from the forum, for less.

2. screen-size - this has now put me in an utter dilemma! the 7" size just feels so puny! there were 2 tabs that i saw of 9" plus size, namely, the iPad Retina (with its stupenduous display), and Samsung Note (don't remember the exact name/model). browsing still feels constricted on the 7", and video-watching didn't seem that worthwhile. i don't know what would that amount to in a daily life scenario (for eg, as raksrules' tab-usage while commuting, tab-usage while in bed, tab-usage at desk, etc.). now am all the more seriously considering getting a Nook HD+. however, the only concern about it seems to be its processor, which, though not bad, is a little inferior to the N7's. now totally in a mental-chaos on which one to choose out of these two. :confused:

Back