Personal Video player, 4.3" to 5" screen size, what are the options ? EDIT: Bought: Nexus 7 2012

raksrules

Elite
I have this ainol media player with 4.3" screen size but its battery has gone bad because i kept the player dormant for extended period of time. I am searching for a device which i can dedicatedly use only for watching videos, absolutely no other functionality expected.
Unfortunately these companies like Teclast and Ainol have stopped making them and whatever stock is available in China so i cannot get them.
Screen size i am looking for are 4.3" to max 5", do not want to go for the 7" tabs, attracts too much attention.
I am considering any big screen phone also which i can use as a video player only.
Currently i use my iPhone 4S to watch videos on the go but it is too small for that, but can live with it.
I would like to obviously spend as least as possible, ready to buy used / second hand stuff.
Any options i have ?

If you really ought to, get one of those Indian branded phones with giant IPS displays.
Saw a friend the other day brandishing a MMX Doodle with a 5 inch+ screen that was decent when we tried a couple of 720p videos. Xolo is another brand that comes to mind.
However, not many options i guess in case you are looking for SAMOLED display phones.

I watch videos on my Galaxy Nexus (4.7") and it's quite good, though wouldn't mind an even bigger screen!

Max 5" because I watch videos mostly in company bus and bigger screens attract more attention and that is not what I want.
I am open to used phones. No idea about AMOLED and all, all I want is videos should look good.
Also most videos are normal videos not 720p HD an all.
5.5" max can also do. Phones are option but new one are 8-11k and I am
In no mood to spend that much for now.

Last edited:
Well I really don't want to suggest you to buy a 10K phone just for video viewing when that same amount can get you a much more beautiful screen, ala Nexus 7 (I know you don't want tabs).
Get a used IPS display phone if you must (something like the MMX Canvas 2). Give OLX, Quikr, and even eBay a shot for pre-owned devices!

Well I really don't want to suggest you to buy a 10K phone just for video viewing when that same amount can get you a much more beautiful screen, ala Nexus 7 (I know you don't want tabs).
Get a used IPS display phone if you must (something like the MMX Canvas 2). Give OLX, Quikr, and even eBay a shot for pre-owned devices!

Yes no tabs and i am not going to spend 10K either. Max to max 5K and not a penny more. The sold purpose is video watching and absolutely nothing else. If was an android user, i would gladly bought a reliable brand a big screen android like samsung or something but i personally am uncomfortable with big screen as phone but during travels for video viewing the big screen is a boon.
I also looking at brands like xolo, karbonn etc.

this thread has ignited my interest too! at what price could i get a used tab like ainol or any else, whatever screen-size that can come in a budget of 3-4k :oops: , for the sole purpose of playing videos?! dont want to keep using my phone for that.

I was planning to get those cheapo chinese android clones but they seem to have more problems and may be unusable many a times. They are probably good only for show. So i think i will not go for the clones from aliexpress etc.
It is better to buy a big screen but cheap phone dedicated for video playing i feel. Dedicated MP4 players are sort of extinct. Zebronics sells one with 4.3" screen and all but that looks almost same as mine and hence i don't want it. Costs under 5K.
My budget is less than 5K as well and i will buy anything only after i sell some stuff that i have put on olx / quikr. Also i am open to second hand devices.
So yes not really in a hurry to buy but evaluating options.

same stands true in my case! preference to used stuff from the forums, AFTER i sell off a few things of mine. :D

P.S. - i would also prefer a tab/cheap phone; the wifi-function woud be a boon!

your ainol tab must have had wifi, isn't it?!

It is not a tab, it is a video / MP4 player of Ainol. 4.3" screen size. It does not have android or anything. No Wifi.
Plays video, audio, pictures and can do TV Out to watch stuff on big TV.

Check the attachment, this is what i have now.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 193
oh, i see. if the companies have stopped producing such devices now (understandably i think, due to tabs catching up with the public big time), then i think we are left with only a tab/phone. when had you purchased it, and for how much (new/used?)?!

oh, i see. if the companies have stopped producing such devices now (understandably i think, due to tabs catching up with the public big time), then i think we are left with only a tab/phone. when had you purchased it, and for how much (new/used?)?!

I don't remember the price now but was probably around 3.5K or so then in 2009. I bought mine from china when I was there for a project. You can get them today but only in China as sellers on taobao (popular eBay like website in China) still sell them, old unsold stock off course. Cannot be delivered to India.
For us option is Aliexpress.

I love the TV out functionality of these players, last weekend I saw around 20 episodes of supernatural on my TV thanks to this player. I do not own a media player here (like wdtv or something)

I don't remember the price now but was probably around 3.5K or so then in 2009. I bought mine from china when I was there for a project. You can get them today but only in China as sellers on taobao (popular eBay like website in China) still sell them, old unsold stock off course. Cannot be delivered to India.

I love the TV out functionality of these players, last weekend I saw around 20 episodes of supernatural on my TV thanks to this player. I do not own a media player here (like wdtv or something)

get a privacy guard + nexus 7
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/491436911/hot_sell_privacy_screen_guard_for.html?s=p

i would love to buy a good/decent used 'Indian' counterpart. :)

I dont know how important apple phone is to you. But here's an idea, sell the iphone 4s. Buy an android with big battery life i.e Lenovo P770 at ~12k with 4.5 in screen plus mammoth battery (3500 mah) so that you can enjoy the luxury of watching movies on commute plus still have juice left at end of day after making calls and all.

I dont know how important apple phone is to you. But here's an idea, sell the iphone 4s. Buy an android with big battery life i.e Lenovo P770 at ~12k with 4.5 in screen plus mammoth battery (3500 mah) so that you can enjoy the luxury of watching movies on commute plus still have juice left at end of day after making calls and all.

iPhone is very important as of today. I have got very much used to it and jailbreak makes things lot easier for me. So selling iPhone is totally out of question. Yes I realize Lenovo P770 and P780 are really good when it comes to battery but for daily driver I am not really wanting to go the android way.

i would love to buy a good/decent used 'Indian' counterpart. :)

Mine one has battery issues, it hardly lasts 1 hour and hence I use it only connected to TV with continuously on charger. I did try using it for commuting but did not work well due to random shut downs with low battery signal.

Back