Personal Video player, 4.3" to 5" screen size, what are the options ? EDIT: Bought: Nexus 7 2012

So yesterday while going back home, i was getting lot of peeks from co-passenger, i attribute this to bigger screen. But i will need to get used to this.
But overall experience of watching TV shows on this bigger screen has been very good.
As of now have watched around 5 and a half episodes (each one around 42 Minutes) and battery level is little over 50%. Mind you, nothing else is being done with the tablet in last 24+ hours. Only video watching with varied levels of brightness and sound (depending on time of day), streaming audio over bluetooth, brightness of the device (not video player) set to Automatic and airplane mode on.

this mean, coming from watching videos on the 4" screen of my cellphone, even i would be happy watching them on the N7. :happy:

this mean, coming from watching videos on the 4" screen of my cellphone, even i would be happy watching them on the N7. :happy:

I came from 3.5" screen. I enjoy more on my 46" HDTV but then i don't have access to that TV all the time. And with these TV shows, you don't know when they start swearing or when some girl drops her clothes so i prefer watching in privacy.
Offcourse Bus is not private and i will make it a point to watch only Non NFSW TV series while commuting.
I could have taken my iPad along everyday but then it would have been too big for me so i opted for a middle solution of the 7" tablet.
Ipad can be great to watch at home but on the road, it looks like the 7" screen scores for me.
Plus in this nexus 7, if i want to shut down watching instantly, i just close the cover and when i want to watch again, just open the cover and unlock the device and video starts automatically at the same location. Talk about convenience.

So yesterday while going back home, i was getting lot of peeks from co-passenger, i attribute this to bigger screen. But i will need to get used to this.
But overall experience of watching TV shows on this bigger screen has been very good.
As of now have watched around 5 and a half episodes (each one around 42 Minutes) and battery level is little over 50%. Mind you, nothing else is being done with the tablet in last 24+ hours. Only video watching with varied levels of brightness and sound (depending on time of day), streaming audio over bluetooth, brightness of the device (not video player) set to Automatic and airplane mode on.

The battery life would also depend on the whether your videos are being H/W or S/W decoded during playback. Judging from what you are reporting, it seems the videos you are watching can be played with H/W decoder.
Playback using S/W decoder saps battery life very fast.

Yes the ones i have now are using H/W+ decoder. Tried H/W and it says video cannot be played. Also i think the first 2 videos i played using S/W decoder. I don't remember fully. But i know i switched to H/W+ later.
So yes the decoder will also decide how good / bad the battery life will be.

So i am done with one battery cycle of 100% to 0%.
Started with 100% battery on Tuesday morning with airplane mode on, audio using bluetooth receiver.
Watched around 7-8 Hours of video in this time. Brightness varied a lot, sometimes 0 and sometimes 15 (max).
Only for like 10 minutes wifi was used once.
All videos played using H/W+ decoder. Half of the videos were under 100 MB in size and half in the 350 MB size.

got my Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB delivered today. just opened the box to check the contents, but didn't remove the plastic-cover from the device nor booted it. will first go to a store tomorrow to get a screenguard installed. matte one or glossy, @raksrules?! reading some posts of yours earlier, am getting inclined towards the matte one. would prefer to buy and get it applied locally. any brand that i should search for?!

@Kilroyquasar

If you think you cannot apply a screenguard yourself, just go to a shop and get it done. In fact i would suggest that for better installation.
Forget brands, just buy one, brands don't really matter when you are going local. It costs them 50 Rs or less (i presume) but will charge a fortune from us.
I would say matte @Vagabond also has matte.
Matte are not finger print magnet and for me at least does not reduce the display quality for me. But bothers many.

First boot and check everything like wifi, earphone jack and screen and all. Ensure that nothing is faulty. Dont spend on any accessory unless you have verified that device is proper.

@Kilroyquasar

If you think you cannot apply a screenguard yourself, just go to a shop and get it done. In fact i would suggest that for better installation.
Forget brands, just buy one, brands don't really matter when you are going local. It costs them 50 Rs or less (i presume) but will charge a fortune from us.
I would say matte @Vagabond also has matte.
Matte are not finger print magnet and for me at least does not reduce the display quality for me. But bothers many.

First boot and check everything like wifi, earphone jack and screen and all. Ensure that nothing is faulty. Dont spend on any accessory unless you have verified that device is proper.

my idea as well! would surely go to a local 'screenguard-expert/technician' to get it done! :D
(and glossy screenguards, albeit unaffecting to the PQ, bother me as well, being the fingerprint-magnets they are. have never used a matte one before, so don't know how much do they affect the PQ, but can live with it, as would seldom watch HD videos on the tab).

and would get down to inspecting the tab now!

did a few basic checks like testing wifi & BT-connectivity, browsing, checking a few settings like those of brightness,
& auto-rotation, vid-playing on youtube (earphones-jack working fine as well), etc. any more checks?

have put the tab on charging-mode now. the battery was almost 1/4th filled.

@raksrules @Kilroyquasar @Vagabond

Do anyone one of you have a MIFI? I too ordered a nexus 7 and looking to buy an unlocked mifi for the device.
I don't have any internet connection at home right now. Just looking to take a new connection. Instead of taking a wired connection or a usb dongle, i am more inclined towards this MIFI.
This will be easy for me to carry and i can use it either with my laptop or with the tab or with any device i will have with a wifi hotspot feature.
What do you say?
Suggestions please....

OT: Where to open(which section) a new thread for requesting suggestions on MIFI?

Last edited:
@raksrules @Kilroyquasar @Vagabond

Do anyone one of you have a MIFI? I too ordered a nexus 7 and looking to buy an unlocked mifi for the device.
I don't have any internet connection at home right now. Just looking to take a new connection. Instead of taking a wired connection or a usb dongle, i am more inclined towars this MIFI.
This will be easy for me to carry and i can use it wither with my laptop or with the tab or with any device i will have with a wifi hotspot feature.
What do you say?
Suggestions please....

OT: Where to open(which section) a new thread for requesting suggestions on MIFI?

sorry, but i don't have a MIFI. i suppose, as you correctly said, you should first create a new thread seeking suggestions on which MIFI device to purchase. perhaps, the 'buying advice' section would be good for that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Received the extended warranty-kit as well today, early in the morning, at 0900 hrs!

@raksrules , @Vagabond - highly confused on which case to buy. the case which you got @raksrules , even i prefer that. but there are so many other seemingly good ones listed there, that i can't decide. any suggestions that could be given on this? have zeroed in on a screenguard though, thankfully. local-shops were utterly useless in this regard. no one i went to had a matte screenguard. will have to apply it myself.

I love the case I am using.
But let me warn you, it does not fully go back so that you can hold the tablet like a book when screen is visible. Not sure if I am explaining it correctly.
But I really like this case as I have exact one on my iPad. I feel the case may take some use to get broken into and then should work fine. Let's see.

yes, i understood what you tried to explain. thanks! i asked Pranay which of the case, the 649/-, or the 999/- one, is better?! and he said, both are equally good! confused again! :confused:
but i will select one and place the order today itself!

Received my nexus yesterday afternoon. Bought a case for it, unable to find a matte screen guard. Will search again today if possible. What are the must have apps i need to install on this device. Updated it with 4.4 version. What are the primary checks i am supposed to do? Can anyone tell me whether OTG works or not on this? So that i can use a usb modem for internet.

@mojo

I suggest you use the dedicated thread of queries related to nexus 7 (in tablets sub forum) and post query there. You shall get more answers there.
I think this thread served it purpose and can be locked if a mod feels so or can be kept open for people who might want dedicated video watching device.

congrats! get the matte SG from ebay; would be tough to find one locally. mine is enroute. please post a few pics of your case - of the exterior and the interior.

for the basic checks, see my post sbove or raksrules relevant post earlier. to use a USB-modem, you might have to root the device, but am not sure about that. rooting anyway is no big deal. can be undone at any time.

Back