Graphic Cards Performance issues with Geforce 6600GT

techboy

Adept
Do omega drivers or Nforce 7x/8x drivers improve a lot of performance or do updates for games like aoe3 and fear really help?

AOE3
1024*768
shader-med
shadow-low
mouse-zoomed full or almost full

FEAR
reflections etc med
soft shadows off
texture res or something med
but in benchmarks with max doesn't the 6600gt get 30+ fps

NFS:MW
1024*768
shadow quality-none

Neither... 6600GT is showing its age now. Nothing much can be done other than upgrading. FEAR is a B**** and stutters even on a 6800ultra.

^^ Totally agree with Choas, SM3.0 performance on the 6600GT is showing its true colours and you can decide between some regular gameplay or a scenery slideshow...

Well, the AOE3 settings which you gave work perfectly smoothly on a 9800 pro, you can increase the shader to very high detail, and shadows to medium.

I've treid AOE3 at 1024x768 with everything maxed out on my 6800 (16x6) and it doesn't stutter. But note, AOE3 is more of Bloom rather than HDR...

Also I would suggest sticking to WHQL drivers only, that's my experience, go ahead and try others if you like...:)

aoe3 slows down even if I put shader -high
i have nforce 6 series software maybe
can old drivers be the coz
also i have 1 gb ram

if you see sbitlabs.com/articles/video
first article,then that shows that my card should perform ok but it doesn't

Its very difficult for me sitting here to point out what the problem may be, as a checklist :

1.) Upgrade to latest drivers of all components in your rig.

2.) Close all applications (including A/V, Firewall, etc.) during gaming.

3.) Do a clean install of Windows if possible.

4.) Clean out your cabinet and check all temps.

I never had any performance problems with the 6600gt even at 1280 2x/4x aa in any games except nfs ug, riddick, fear and cod2 dx9.
(But then I am obsessed with quality and an average 40fps is ok with me except in racing games.)

All the above need to played at 1024 0xaa except riddick at 1024 2xQ (slowdowns over shimmer hell anyday).
cod2 dx9 gives ~30fps at 1024 0xaa with heavy drops during firefights. Under dx7 it runs like quake3 even at 1280x960 4xaa, but that's obvious.

As for fear and nfs ug, they run like crap on most pc's.
The latter is silky smooth once you turn off bloom and blur, but then it looks worse than nfs4.

farcry @ 1280 2xQ, character shadows off and max 3d vegetation distance : 40-90
doom3 @ 1152 2xQ : 40-50
hl2 @ 1280 4xaa : 40-70
ss2 @ 1280 4xaa, hdr off and dynamic shadows at minimum : ~50fps during seriously mad battles, hovers around 80-100fps otherwise. Turning on hdr isn't much of a hit either.

Not played nfs mw, so no idea about that.
Using 81.85whql...

are you crazy?
you mean i should play fear beta demo at max settings?
are you talking of beta?

also a 9800pro :
aoe3:
max

nfs mw:
max,no shadow + 2x aa
why can't i play at 1024,no aa,max

and fear do you really mean max

The nforce is not the graphic card drivers. Nforce is platform drivers for your motherboard. you keep refering display/forceware drivers as nforce 6/7.

If you are still using 6x.xx series then i recommend you update to latest 81.95 drivers. And update your nforce platform drivers to 6.70. Both are available at Nvidia.com download section.

Also some Quick Questions.

How old is this windows installation.

Which Nforce platform drivers you are using

Which Forceware (Display) drivers you are using.

I think I am using 6.53 nforce perhaps,you know the problem with asus a8n-e,how it crashes with other nforce drivers,should i try 6.70?

forceware drivers maybe 66.39 or 66.93 ,not quite sure though?
will 81.95 help or is omega/xg help?

windows installation could be maybe even moths old by now,not too sure?

MY system:
6600GT 128mb PCI-E
1gb ram ddr 400 dual ch
Amd 64bit 3200 winchester
Asus A8N-E

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/games-2005.html

If you read this articles,according to this my system should be able to play the following games at 1024*768,max ,no aa/af or better:
BF2
FEAR
AOE3
Quake 4 ,1280*1024
Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory

Why don't I attain these speeds then and why can't I play NFS:MW
with no aa/af,1024*768,max

my drivers have graphics on performance

well only 1 release of NF4 platform drivers had problems and that was 6.55 or 57. I dont remember which one. The problem does was solved in later releases.

The drivers you are using are too old. Then entire 7x.xx series came and went and now we are at 8x.xx series.

Many issues related to newer games get fixed in new drivers.

Also you bought the mainstream GF6 card. It supports SM3.0 but that does not mean it will give you playable FPS in every SM3 game.

Its not just graphic card thats responsible for the gaming performance. The RAM,CPU, the memory settings and timings, how well the system is maintained, amount of junk and background services running, all this matters.

Remove the old drivers and install new ones. And next time try to ask in 1 post that 2-3 posts.

6800(16x6) means that he has unlocked the pipelines of his cards.

first thing's first, get your forceware updated to 81.95
if that does not solve your problem, then we can eliminate all other possiblities one by one. lets not jump the gun.

also, as to why other tested cards are able to play, i'm pretty sure that although the cards are same, they would always use the latest drivers. thats why you must update your forceware to 81.95.

but if xbitlabs.com tests games at maximum graphic detail won't that mena sm3.0 and not sm 2.0

Not necessarily, as they need to compare the cards with ATI X800 series, and also there is a huge performance hit with HDR or soft shadows enabled.

Fear should run as good as any other pc at 1024 0xaa max details (except soft shadows).
You need 1gb ram for max texture detail.

The game is slow on all but the very fastest pc's, don't worry about it much.

Back