People who've upgraded their smartphones recently, what has gotten better?

Add display, performance and camera to the primary list and there will be a secondary list having dolby vision display, dolby vision videos, true tone, peak brightness, IP ratings, thermal management etc. When at home, I also use my TV and iPad pro to watch all content. But when I am outside, then my phone is the only way to enjoy content. Dolby vision looks really good and dolby audio is an advantage too.
I was also holding on to my realme 9 pro plus but I was wrong. The experience you get from a flagship is on another level. For me, it's an worthy investment just for the three primary features.
I understand what you're saying. But the list is things I'm missing 'about' latest smartphones. Meaning things I failed to notice/overlooked.
I'm just trying to see if I'm missing anything on latest smartphones that'd benefit me; even little things like - better DAC, better display - other than refresh rate, colours, contrast etc, better battery life, better haptics... just anything!

Fancier phones do have their selling points to justify the price, well most. But, not a lot was really intriguing me. Hence started this thread.

You wont get any feature that is actually "worth" having at the moment.. Stick with it till you get android updates
+1

I have S20FE 5G & S23 is the only upgrade for me, mainly because of the form factor. I want a compact phone, had S8 & Sony Z3C earlier. Sure slightly better camera, performance (not noticeable in normal usage) are good, so is 4 OS updates, but none of them seem worth spending 70k to me. Will somehow manage with S20FE for a few more years (1.5 year old now).

This is most likely a niche, but recently noticed something on some latest smartphones that I'd like to add here - DP over USB C.

I know screen mirroring can be done even in non-MHL devices using apps like scrcpy or some miracast implementation. But the better hardware bundled with softwares like Moto's 'Ready For' or Samsung's 'Dex' sure seems to mean - higher quality, lesser latency & better UI.

I haven't used this. If anyone has, kindly share your thoughts/experience.

This is most likely a niche, but recently noticed something on some latest smartphones that I'd like to add here - DP over USB C.

I know screen mirroring can be done even in non-MHL devices using apps like scrcpy or some miracast implementation. But the better hardware bundled with softwares like Moto's 'Ready For' or Samsung's 'Dex' sure seems to mean - higher quality, lesser latency & better UI.

I haven't used this. If anyone has, kindly share your thoughts/experience.
but where would this be used ?
Mirroring a phone is useful maybe for presentations and stuff ?
Does it work well for say movies / videos ?

I can see myself using this for gaming, if latency is low enough. Other than large-screen view, if/when I buy a dedicated DAC for PC, I can make use of it for mobile gaming as well + there's some minimal charging.

I think this varies for each device, but I think 4k@30fps should be doable for devices with USB 3+ connector & a recent SoC. Moto's spec says it supports DP 1.4, which goes up to 4k@120fps. Can't find any info on Samsung. There's info about this somewhere on their 'global' website (refer attachment), but can't find the same in in/uk/us links.

Note - The Moto device I'm looking at is Edge 30 Ultra; and for Samsung, S23.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 60
I can see myself using this for gaming, if latency is low enough. Other than large-screen view, if/when I buy a dedicated DAC for PC, I can make use of it for mobile gaming as well + there's some minimal charging.

Does this also mean you’re going to buy a controller to connect to your phone then?

Upgraded to M52 5G from Redmi Note 4. The major upgrade was the camera and security updates (apparently they are imp). My old phone had last update in 2019 but I would say it still did a lot of things good. The inbuilt photo editor of Mi was godly, the body was metal, app lock was native and apparently now call recording had announcements(major reason to go Samsung). The performance upgrade though is nice, finally can game in 60fps and the display is great for content. So I would say it was not a very big leap but maybe it was because I got budget device.

Probably a very niche application but do over usbc let's me connect my phone to my huion kamvas 13 so i don't always need to always be at my PC to draw.
Not sure if it would work well for videos. But I think having new hardware capabilities is important to create new features and eventually it might become a standard thing in phones

Nothing except cameras only in top tiers . I have Note 10 Plus from 2019 , still using it
Except Samsung S line my phone is still better than all phones . The only place i felt it lacking today was in cameras
Still comparable with Pixel6a i have or lot better than newly purchased 64MP OIS Techno 20 pro shitty cameras
Rest in 4 years i didnt see any usable improvement . Dont want the gaming comparisons..... I am talking of a normal office goer mobile user

I'm still using k20 pro as my daily driver it's just fantastic no issues what so ever for me until today. I have just replaced the battery 6 months before from service center experience was good. The only thing I would like to suggest if you are comfortable & have knowledge of custom roms then i think it's still a good device. Considering market situation as pricing has gone up ridiculously high. For same kind of device with this build you need to have almost double budget. I'm using k20 pro with custom rom Android 13 everything is just super fine.

Which ROM are you using? How is the battery backup?
For k20 pro I will suggest only two roms either go for Evolution x or Rising OS. If call recording is important then go for Rising OS it also has call recording without that google shitty thing. Also both comes with Leica camera n if needed u can install gcam also. Perfectly super smooth experience on both.
I have used both currently on Evolution X.
How is the battery backup?
battery backup on evolution x is about 7-8 hrs screen on depending on your usage u can get more or less. On rising os its about 6-7 hrs. Also consider i have replaced battery & my current battery health is 93-92%.

Last edited:
I have recently upgraded from my S20FE to S22 Plus , Major changes are a better camera and a bit of performance upgrade everything is almost same as there is no UI change or major android updates.

Upgraded to S20 FE 5G from the Mi K20 Pro. The camera is an improvement. Punch hole display is a downgrade though.

K20 Pro was stuttering in the end. S20 FE 5G is much smoother till now.

For k20 pro I will suggest only two roms either go for Evolution x or Rising OS. If call recording is important then go for Rising OS it also has call recording without that google shitty thing. Also both comes with Leica camera n if needed u can install gcam also. Perfectly super smooth experience on both.
I have used both currently on Evolution X.

battery backup on evolution x is about 7-8 hrs screen on depending on your usage u can get more or less. On rising os its about 6-7 hrs. Also consider i have replaced battery & my current battery health is 93-92%.
using k20pro as backup phone with voltage OS. smooth for me. battery, performance everything good.

I'm looking at upgrading from my Pixel 4 XL in the not-too-distant future. Not the perfect phone, by any means, but built like a tank, and next-level haptics.

Main con is strictly average battery life, even when the phone was new (I replaced the battery 10 months ago).

Back