People who've upgraded their smartphones recently, what has gotten better?

Why XR. That phone is one of the worst iPhones of all time.

It was my first ios device actually.. Got it from the forum itself for a good price and wanted to try ios so went for it.
It's not that bad tbh. I really love the build quality, the form factor and the camera is pretty good even now. The battery too is good enough for my usage.
If only it had more RAM, I could still use it for couple more years only because of how it looks and feels in hand.

It was my first ios device actually.. Got it from the forum itself for a good price and wanted to try ios so went for it.
It's not that bad tbh. I really love the build quality, the form factor and the camera is pretty good even now. The battery too is good enough for my usage.
If only it had more RAM, I could still use it for couple more years only because of how it looks and feels in hand.
Stand-alone, it is a decent phone. Try 13 or 14 once, even the 12 and you will see that XR though is of same size, has lot of disadvantages.

higher touch sampling rates.
Didn't think of this. Things like this is precisely what I'm looking for. Thanks!

the difference between 60hz and 85 was very noticeable.
It's easier to notice difference is lower refresh rates. It's also easier to notice difference if you're used to a higher refresh rate, then try a lower one.

One way to understand this is - Our eyes don't work based on refresh rate. What higher refresh rate displays achieve is lesser flicker(in this context, this means the brief occurrence between displaying two complete frames), which we perceive as smoother transition. It's increasingly less likely for our eyes to notice flicker with higher refresh rate, as time spent in flickering gets lower. So the perceived difference is also lower. Smoother animation has better effect in this perceived difference across all refresh rates. This is why iOS felt smoother back when all phones were 60Hz. They'd spent more time smoothing animations and scrolling.

So, transition from 60-90Hz is much more noticeable than 90-120Hz, as flicker is probably multiple ms lower. One the other hand, if you had gotten so used to, say 144Hz, you could notice the difference even in 120Hz, as your eyes would perceive more flicker.

All this aside, I would limit refresh rate just like you did as well, except when gaming. It's also possible with android that, the animations aren't upgraded to fully make use of the higher refresh rate.

Custom roms are much better with the latest Android upgrades.. regarding issues, every ROM has issues including stock, miui, oneui
I had extensively used custom ROMs till I got Oneplus 8. Stability and camera bugs are biggest issues. Now that more bank apps are blocking apps in custom rom, it makes it worse. There ws also this constant fear if there is any malware in the ROM package or in GApps package (you never know).

I was recording a video of my younger kids school function and the camera app froze when I stopped recording. It was painful as that was kids first ever school event (running race). Came home that day, removed custom ROM, installed factory ROM never looked at custom ROM again. In 15 years or so of using phones, this never happened with factory ROM. It may have happened for others but if you compare stability of factory ROM with custom ROM, factory ROM is more stable.

Then once I got the OnePlus 8, it was done. If the factory OS is rock solid and slick, there is no reason to look at custom ROMs. Finally, I gave up on android and moved to iOS. Never been happier. If I am on Android, one phone I would love to try is the Moto Razor 40 Ultra. The phone is piece of art.

Is this problem there even with a case with a raised lip? assuming you use a case that is
Less so, but still a problem, yes. And in my mind, if you're going to use a chunky case anyway, what's the point of having a really nice looking edge to edge display?

Less so, but still a problem, yes. And in my mind, if you're going to use a chunky case anyway, what's the point of having a really nice looking edge to edge display?
Because they are all going that way whether we like it or not and the case protects the screen. It does make edge swipes harder though

Stand-alone, it is a decent phone. Try 13 or 14 once, even the 12 and you will see that XR though is of same size, has lot of disadvantages.
you are comparing a 2018 phone to the latest phones today, I mean there will obviously be huge advantages, XR was good when it launched.

you are comparing a 2018 phone to the latest phones today, I mean there will obviously be huge advantages, XR was good when it launched.
This phone, at launch, costed 76k and it remained that way for a while. HD (not full-HD or 2K) LCD display when competition completely moved to FullHD and 2K HDR+ AMOLED panels. Average single lens camera system. Average to below average battery life. It was better to buy iPhone XS or previous year's iPhone X on discount. Compare this to Samsung S10 that came just 4 months later and you will know what I mean. After the iPhone X, Apple had really bad run for 3 years, till iPhone 13 came out. The iPhone 13 and the discounted iPhone 12 put Apple back on track. The XR, just like the 5C was a dud when it came to sales and user feedback. It was mostly purchased by corporates who needed to give iPhones to employees and they picked XR or the iPhone 7/8.

This phone, at launch, costed 76k and it remained that way for a while. HD (not full-HD or 2K) LCD display when competition completely moved to FullHD and 2K HDR+ AMOLED panels. Average single lens camera system. Average to below average battery life. It was better to buy iPhone XS or previous year's iPhone X on discount. Compare this to Samsung S10 that came just 4 months later and you will know what I mean. After the iPhone X, Apple had really bad run for 3 years, till iPhone 13 came out. The iPhone 13 and the discounted iPhone 12 put Apple back on track. The XR, just like the 5C was a dud when it came to sales and user feedback. It was mostly purchased by corporates who needed to give iPhones to employees and they picked XR or the iPhone 7/8.
I agree. The XR was just garbage. It was even worse than the 5C. At least that phone had some character, aesthetically.

The X on discount was a MUCH better option.

I am currently rocking a Samsung Z Flip 4 and an iPhone 13 Pro Max, I switched from S20+ to Z Flip 4. and I got to say, there are quite a bit of noticeable improvements. The screen is quite a bit smoother although both were 120Hz, I don't know what makes the screen experience a lot better, maybe changes to the touch sampling rate or something.
There are improvements in CPU performance and noticeable improvements in storage speeds as well which again makes the phone feel faster. The camera is also decent and I would say a marginal bump in quality but still looks better when compared side by side. 2 things I miss though is Samsung Dex (although never used it much before) and USB 3.2 speeds on the USB port, I think its USB 2.0 which is a shame for such a high costing device.
But the Z Flip 4 fulfils my purpose which was to fit iPhone 13 pro max and second phone in the same pocket, I was not able to do that with my S20+ & iPhone combo previously.

I am currently rocking a Samsung Z Flip 4 and an iPhone 13 Pro Max, I switched from S20+ to Z Flip 4. and I got to say, there are quite a bit of noticeable improvements. The screen is quite a bit smoother although both were 120Hz, I don't know what makes the screen experience a lot better, maybe changes to the touch sampling rate or something.
There are improvements in CPU performance and noticeable improvements in storage speeds as well which again makes the phone feel faster. The camera is also decent and I would say a marginal bump in quality but still looks better when compared side by side. 2 things I miss though is Samsung Dex (although never used it much before) and USB 3.2 speeds on the USB port, I think its USB 2.0 which is a shame for such a high costing device.
But the Z Flip 4 fulfils my purpose which was to fit iPhone 13 pro max and second phone in the same pocket, I was not able to do that with my S20+ & iPhone combo previously.
Phones are going to be interesting again, thanks to foldable displays. The new Razr 40 Ultra is a beauty. Cannot believe that this phone has the cover display that is bigger than that of the original iPhone. Good days are coming back for smartphones. The last decade or so was absolutely boring.

I upgraded to Xiaomi 13 pro from Realme 9.pro plus.

-Screen alone is a huge upgrade even from something like s10 plus. Screen supports Dolby vision which actually works unlike HDR 10 which is fake a lot of times.
-120 Hz display feels very smooth as compared to my old 90Hz panel.
-It supports dynamic color adjustment according to ambient light called true tone in ios world.
- Also supports dynamic color adjustment according to the content and it works very well. Videos and images are always closer to being colour accurate while interface is a bit oversaturated.
-Camera is a major bump too. Landscape pics no longer look junk with no typical smartphone processing. The pictures are more closer to a large sensor look.
-Video cam supports Dolby vision and Dolby vidoes look awesome.
-The performance of the phone is very good. It feels extremely fast, butter smooth and responsive in comparison to most mid range phones and mid range phones these days are already very fast.
-Even speakers supports Dolby audio and it sounds really good. Surprisingly no gimmick.
-Thermal management is extremely good. There was a time when flagship phones used to heat like ovens but that is not the case anymore.
-Wifi 7 should allow fast data transfer speeds. I haven't tested its full capacity though. Since it is android so options are also plenty for data transfer.
-Screen retains its color accuracy at very high brightness outdoors.

Other strengths of android such as user accounts, fast charging, customization, file manager etc are the same.
I bought it primarily for camera but I was very impressed by the display quality and performance.

Negative point
USB 2 speeds from cable, same like iphones and mid range Androids.

-Screen alone is a huge upgrade even from something like s10 plus. Screen supports Dolby vision which actually works unlike HDR 10 which is fake a lot of times.
-It supports dynamic color adjustment according to ambient light called true tone in ios world.
- Also supports dynamic color adjustment according to the content and it works very well. Videos and images are always closer to being colour accurate while interface is a bit oversaturated.
-Camera is a major bump too. Landscape pics no longer look junk with no typical smartphone processing. The pictures are more closer to a large sensor look.
-The performance of the phone is very good. It feels extremely fast, butter smooth and responsive in comparison to most mid range phones and mid range phones these days are already very fast.
-Even speakers supports Dolby audio and it sounds really good. Surprisingly no gimmick.
-Thermal management is extremely good. There was a time when flagship phones used to heat like ovens but that is not the case anymore.
-Wifi 7 should allow fast data transfer speeds. I haven't tested its full capacity though. Since it is android so options are also plenty for data transfer.

Other strengths of android such as user accounts, fast charging, customization, file manager etc are the same.
I bought it primarily for camera but I was very impressed by the display quality and performance.

Negative point
I'd add Dolby Vision & Audio to the things-I''m-missing-about-latest-smartphones list. Then again, I don't ever watch content on my smartphone. I don't even have YouTube in there. All my media consumption is via PC & ear/headphones. I don't remember using phone speakers, except occasionally on calls, at all.

These might change after buying such a phone. But, I know for a fact that for 80k, I could buy a much better monitor & speakers, which I probably need more & would offer much better experience for media consumption.

So, I guess it's me that's boring and not the smartphone market? Is it just ageing that I'm experiencing?

Negative point
yep 13 pro is really impressive, way more value for money than a S23 if you can get past the curved screen and MUI, btw how are you managing the curved screen since most tempered glass dont fit on it? I had to get mine laminated to get some kind of protection.
PS. you should use FTP to transfer files from your phone if your pc supports wifi 6, I talked to a guy with a S23 ultra which also has UFS 4.0 and he was getting around 80-90MB/s transfer speeds (essentially almost maxing out gigabit), not sure if this would work on wifi 5 but my UFS 3.0 can give me 10-15MB/s transfer speeds.
I'd add Dolby Vision & Audio to the things-I''m-missing-about-latest-smartphones list. Then again, I don't ever watch content on my smartphone. I don't even have YouTube in there. All my media consumption is via PC & ear/headphones. I don't remember using phone speakers, except occasionally on calls, at all.

These might change after buying such a phone. But, I know for a fact that for 80k, I could buy a much better monitor & speakers, which I probably need more & would offer much better experience for media consumption.

So, I guess it's me that's boring and not the smartphone market? Is it just ageing that I'm experiencing?
nah you can get a samsung odyssey G7 neo for this price so you definitely have a point, phones get diminishing returns after the 50k price point, you are just paying the for the apple logo or the cameras basically.

Last edited:

Add display, performance and camera to the primary list and there will be a secondary list having dolby vision display, dolby vision videos, true tone, peak brightness, IP ratings, thermal management etc. When at home, I also use my TV and iPad pro to watch all content. But when I am outside, then my phone is the only way to enjoy content. Dolby vision looks really good and dolby audio is an advantage too.
I was also holding on to my realme 9 pro plus but I was wrong. The experience you get from a flagship is on another level. For me, it's an worthy investment just for the three primary features.

yep 13 pro is really impressive, way more value for money than a S23 if you can get past the curved screen and MUI, btw how are you managing the curved screen since most tempered glass dont fit on it? I had to get mine laminated to get some kind of protection.
PS. you should use FTP to transfer files from your phone if your pc supports wifi 6, I talked to a guy with a S23 ultra which also has UFS 4.0 and he was getting around 80-90MB/s transfer speeds (essentially almost maxing out gigabit), not sure if this would work on wifi 5 but my UFS 3.0 can give me 10-15MB/s transfer speeds.
I tried sending files via it but I still have my old USB C wifi dongle in my pc so haven't tested the full potential yet. Regarding curved display, I used Galaxy s7 edge for a long time so I like curved screens. I like MIUI, it is full of features and SD gen 2 is so fast that no UI can slow it down.

Add display, performance and camera to the primary list and there will be a secondary list having dolby vision display, dolby vision videos, true tone, peak brightness, IP ratings, thermal management etc. When at home, I also use my TV and iPad pro to watch all content. But when I am outside, then my phone is the only way to enjoy content. Dolby vision looks really good and dolby audio is an advantage too.
I was also holding on to my realme 9 pro plus but I was wrong. The experience you get from a flagship is on another level. For me, it's an worthy investment just for the three primary features.

I tried sending files via it but I still have my old USB C wifi dongle in my pc so haven't tested the full potential yet. Regarding curved display, I used Galaxy s7 edge for a long time so I like curved screens. I like MIUI, it is full of features and SD gen 2 is so fast that no UI can slow it down.
that dongle might not give you the best speeds, for the curved screens are you using tempered glass or those shitty silicon ones? I miss the feel of a tempered glass but dont really wanna take the risk with UV considering they'll just fall off after a while again

Back