Budget 21-30k PC components under 25K

vigilante

Adept
Need to get the below mentioned PC components most probably next month. Thanks in advance.
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core2 Duo
    • Motherboard - Asus XXX
    • GPU – HD 5670
    • Monitor – LG 19” LED
    • PSU – Some PSU
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor – LG 19” LED
    • GPU – HD 5670 (for now, will upgrade 4-6 months down the line. Most probably 750 Ti or something similar around 10-11K max)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU – Core i3 4150
    • Motherboard – Any B85 motherboard? Not much idea here.
    • RAM – 8 GB (GSkill ripjaws or Corsair vengeance?)
    • PSU –A good PSU
    • Cabinet – A decent cabinet up to 2.5k
    • HDD – 1 TB WD
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • GPU –Something around 10-11K max. Most probably 750 Ti or something similar.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Pune
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming – 1080p, Medium settings (Not an immediate priority)
    • Browsing
    • Programming – Eclipse, .Net Studio, VMware
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nothing specific
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Decent frame rate at medium settings and 1080p for current and upcoming games. (Only after GPU upgrade later)
    • FPS – Far Cry 4 and COD Advanced Warfare
    • Open world – GTA at medium settings at least
    • DOTA2, Tomb Raider, Arkham Knight etc
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Gaming-1080p
    • Desktop-1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Windows 10

• CPU – Intel Core i3 4150 -7500,
  • Motherboard – Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
  • RAM – Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB 1866Mhz -3200,
  • PSU – Antec VP500PC -3200,
  • Cabinet – Corsair SPEC-01 -3700,
  • HDD – WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500.
  • TOTAL -26,600.

^Thanks for the list mate. Any reason I should prefer Gigabyte over an Asus mobo?
Will there be any major disadvantage in using a lesser priced Cabinet? Any lesser priced cooler master you can suggest?

avoide gigabyte please. they've begun engaging in shady corner cutting.
asus motherboards have the largest presence India and are considered the safe and reliable choice here.

Cooler master elite cabinet is b/w 2-3k.
you can get cheaper cabinets but please avoid the really cheap ones (zebronics, intex, iball etc.) as the build quality is quite rubbish (prone to rust, sharp edges, bad airflow etc).
Good cabinet makers are coolermaster, deepcool, corsair, nzxt, antec. (there's also lian-li and bitfenix but they're pretty expensive)

instead of antec get a seasonic s12 520w psu. the quality and efficiency is much better and since you plan on a gpu upgrade in the future this will be worth the extra money.
if i may ask, what budget are you keeping for the gpu upgrade? i ask because if you're getting something like a 750ti (or soon to be launched 950) then a seasonic s12 430w will suffice.
if it's something that's in the 12k+ price bracket then the larger 520w psu will be my recommendation.

one quick tip - keep an eye out for the core i3 4330. it retails for 8-9k and is a little hard to find but it's significantly faster than other i3's and is capable of matching an i5 in gaming.

Last edited:
I was also thinking of Asus over Gigabyte. I remember reading in our forums only about they cutting corners in successive iterations of the same model.

Cooler master elite 311 is what I was considering. Surely I won't be buying a cabinet lesser than 2.5K.

Seasonic 520w would drastically alter my budget. The GPU upgrade budget would be 10-11K max. The only one that currently fits this budget is 750Ti. If 950Ti fits my budget, will go for that. Any probable launch date? The only way I can get a better GPU is if something is cheaper in US. Then I'll ask my cousin to get it in Jan 16.

i3 4330... OK I'll keep an eye out for that. Mostly I'll be buying from a local dealer so let's see. Thanks for this tip and all other recos.

Seasonic 520w would drastically alter my budget. The GPU upgrade budget would be 10-11K max. The only one that currently fits this budget is 750Ti. If 950Ti fits my budget, will go for that. Any probable launch date?
if gpu budget is 10-11k then the s12 430w will be perfect. i believe it's around 4k online. might be cheaper locally if you're in a major city.
the 950 is rumored to launch sometime this month;-
http://videocardz.com/57267/nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-specifications-leaked
http://videocardz.com/57015/confirmed-nvidia-to-launch-geforce-gtx-950

it's supposed to replace the 750ti in the $150 price bracket but not sure what it will cost here.

I'll be getting quotes from some local dealers this weekend. Will update this post with the prices they quote.
The biggest advantage 750 Ti has is the low power requirement. Hopefully 950 does increase that by much. And of course the price point is important too. But then I have some time before I buy the GPU and the picture should be clear by then.
IF (that's a big if) I manage to go for a higher GPU, will the i3 be a bottleneck?

IF (that's a big if) I manage to go for a higher GPU, will the i3 be a bottleneck?
yes it will be a bottleneck but not to the point where games will be unplayable. (i'm guessing your considering the gtx 960 right?)
remember, 80% of a game's workload involves the gpu.
the bottleneck will be in cpu intensive games such as large scale rts, large open worlds with lots of characters and physics heavy scenarios.
but again, it's not like there will be heavy stuttering and sub 30 fps.
i had a 280x paired with a pentium dual core and was still able to play everything.
world detail will probably need to be lowered. other than that it should be fine.

the vs is corsair's base model line-up
Went to a reputed local dealer yesterday. The PSU he was pushing was again the Corsair VS550 for 3450/-. Said it'll carry 3 yrs warranty and the service center is located locally as well.
getting close. it should be out in about 2 weeks. going by it's specs it should give close to an r9 270 level of performance in the 60-90w tdp range.
Good to read that. Just hope that it's priced well.

the corsair vs is cheap for a reason although it's nowhere near as bad as the zebronics, intex, iball psu's (i would consider the vs as the absolute minimum in psu quality).
(personally) saving ~1.5k doesn't seem worth it since out of all the components psu is the only one that will stay till it dies. everything else gets upgraded before it's end-of-life.
there is the corsair cx series but if you're spending that much then a few hundred more towards a seasonic makes better sense.

also, don't rely exclusively on warranty promises as the experience can vary wildly from pleasant to downright wtf.

(personally) saving ~1.5k doesn't seem worth it since out of all the components psu is the only one that will stay till it dies. everything else gets upgraded before it's end-of-life.
Well, that makes sense. Anyway, I'll be going to a couple of more local dealers over the weekend and get the prices of seasonic and antec as well.

Got the machine.
Final config
  • CPU – Intel Core i3 4150 - 7900,
  • Motherboard – Gigabyte B85M-D3H - 5650,
  • RAM – Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB 1866Mhz - 3600,
  • PSU – Corsair VS550 - 3500,
  • Cabinet – Cooler Master Elite 311 - 2450,
  • HDD – WD Purple 1TB - 3900.
  • TOTAL -27,000.
Got from a local dealer who is a friend's cousin. Went with the Corsair PSU since the Antec would've taken time and he assured me of Corsair service and there is a local service center as well. Hoping wouldn't need that.
The prices I felt were a bit here and there compared to the online ones, but the final amount same out almost the same. Thanks for all the help guys.
Crapmypants, Keep up the good work mate. Will be back here when I plan to upgrade the GPU. Since my original budget was 25k, now I'll have to settle for some cheap 2.1 speaker solution unfortunately . Any suggestions under 2k? I've seen some decent ones from creative, logitech and F&D. Which brand should I prefer?

Back