WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Thanks! :)

This device does not have a FM radio but that is very well negated by the fact that there's online radio through Nokia Music. You can also listen to podcasts. The fact that the radio was missing was highlighted as a major disadvantage (other than the bulky part) but they never mentioned the fact that there's this amazing application called Nokia Music. What a bummer! :sleep:

I just came back to my desk after going to the ship. Clicked a lot of snaps here and there. On the phone's display, it looked fantastic! I am not sure how well it pans out when I transfer it to the PC but I am hoping it would be good. Some of the dark areas were shot as if there was some light source somewhere! The snaps were that bright. In short, this is the best cam. for low-light shots, no questions asked. Will upload the snaps later.

I am so happy to hear all this even though I will not be purchasing it in the near future (projector EMIs :( ).

User experiences tell the whole story and I am yet to hear people who are disappointed with what they got when they bought the 920. I just hope Nokia bounces back and I am surprised why they haven't done anything to increase the stocks. Not many people will be patient enough for it to get back into stock nor will they like to pay a premium. The surprising part is that this seems to be the case everywhere, not only here in India. Really weird!

Hey Gannu,
After reading your review, it seems that Windows Phone 8 and Nokia are able to gather almost many of the required apps for normal usage of the phone. However, I am concerned about the games on Windows phone 8. I don't know if you like to play various games on your phone but many main titles are still missing from Windows phone 8 like Temple Run.

I am so happy to hear all this even though I will not be purchasing it in the near future (projector EMIs :( ).

User experiences tell the whole story and I am yet to hear people who are disappointed with what they got when they bought the 920. I just hope Nokia bounces back and I am surprised why they haven't done anything to increase the stocks. Not many people will be patient enough for it to get back into stock nor will they like to pay a premium. The surprising part is that this seems to be the case everywhere, not only here in India. Really weird!

At around 36~37k, India actually has a good pricing for the device compared to the Eu nations. Almost on par with the Middle East. Despite a late launch here, most of us hoped for a really good pricing. :(

Hey Gannu,
After reading your review, it seems that Windows Phone 8 and Nokia are able to gather almost many of the required apps for normal usage of the phone. However, I am concerned about the games on Windows phone 8. I don't know if you like to play various games on your phone but many main titles are still missing from Windows phone 8 like Temple Run.

Please understand one thing associated with this platform - the WP ecosystem is still in its budding stages (it was launched approx. 2 years back - imagine where the Android Market/iTunes Store was during the first 2 years after launch), the applications are extremely limited and cannot stand a chance with the Google Play or iTunes Store for iOS.

That said, if you are interested in playing proper games (Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Cut The Rope, Angry Birds variants do not classify as games - these are for kindergarten kids) please look for a device from Android or get yourself an iPhone. That said, essential day-to-day apps. are mostly available for WP.

Ah! But isn’t it means that irrespective of the age of Windows phone 8, it will remain younger to iOS or android. That means Windows will always lack behind Android and iOS in terms of apps and games.

And if Nokia and Windows phone 8 are able to provide ‘essential day-to-day apps’ then they should also provide ‘essential day-to-day games’ as well to its users and I believe these ‘Kindergarten kids games’ are some essential games on Android which are downloaded by most of the users irrespective of the age.

I am actually glad that Windows Phone 8 doesn't have all these games. I am tired of people (especially kids) asking for the phone to play stupid games. I just need very few apps like :

1. Whatsapp
2. PVR Cinemas
3. Inox
4. Google Talk
5. Yahoo Messenger
6. Skype
7. Makemytrip or Cleartrip
8. Times of India
9. Economic Times

Thats it I guess. I just hope all the above are there or at least most of them for now.

I think the app situation on Windows Phone has been heavily and unfairly misrepresented by reviewers who are predominantly Android or iOS users. Yes, there's definitely way more choice on those platforms, you won't find niche apps, and you may not find familiar names but alternatives, but in terms of quality of daily use apps Windows Phone is surprisingly excellent. In short, they complain about what is not there without even considering what is. I was prepared for disappointment but for my use the apps are in fact much better than the competing platforms. It is also important to note that the OS is heavily interconnected and the first party apps are great. The essentials are covered without downloading a single app.

What I suggest is make a list of all apps / usage scenarios you need, find out what alternatives are available on Windows Phone 8. Also remember you can pin websites to the start screen, and IE10 is a solid browser. There's some specific usage apps unavailable on WP8, in which case hold on to Android or iOS.

PS: The same applies for features / customisability. You don't have everything, but what there is, is the best out there.

@Sub
How do I check which apps are available in WP8? Any website or something or I should ask some user to check for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dafaq! My SIM isn't activated but I was able to use both Nokia Maps as well as Nokia Drive! I did not download any maps so far but it was showing the route as well. This is strange! :scared14: :ashamed:

I believe these ‘Kindergarten kids games’ are some essential games on Android which are downloaded by most of the users irrespective of the age.

Angry Birds | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Plants vs. Zombies | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Fruit Ninja | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Cut The Rope | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Games! :lol:

Dafaq! My SIM isn't activated but I was able to use both Nokia Maps as well as Nokia Drive! I did not download any maps so far but it was showing the route as well. This is strange! :scared14: :ashamed:

Angry Birds | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Plants vs. Zombies | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Fruit Ninja | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Cut The Rope | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Games! :lol:

Congo for the phone mate.

Download Where's My Water and Where's My Perry on Windows Phone 8 for free just for today - GSMArena Blog

@Gannu

Please lemme know how is the battery life with 3G usage only. I had an Iphone 4S and it sucked with 3G usage. I have not heard good things about the Iphone 5's battery as well with 3G usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong but I think all the iDevices have the best batteries till date - iPods, iPads and iPhones. Not comparing Note and Note 2 both of which have substantially HUGE batteries with a very high mAH rating. Anyways, I shall let you know once the SIM is activated and 3G is enabled.

You don't need SIM card to use Nokia Maps / Drive (true for all Nokia Smartphones, WP or not). Maybe, the Indian 920s are preloaded with the India maps ?

Iphone 5 is pretty good with 3G, as i keep 3G always on(at home its on wifi) and i can manage 1-1/2 days standby and 5-6hours of usuage with lot of push notifications and some browsing. Even on Iphone 4 i used to get one day. Checked out Lumia 920 few days back and it wasnt as bulky as its made out to be in lot of reviews, pretty neat device.

At around 36~37k, India actually has a good pricing for the device compared to the Eu nations. Almost on par with the Middle East. Despite a late launch here, most of us hoped for a really good pricing. :(

I have no qualms regarding the pricing. I was just praying that Nokia doesn't release this with a 44k price tag. It's the stocks I am talking about. Why does it seem to go out of stock so quickly? I do know that they aren't selling as well as iPhones do for sure. Why such low inventory?

Both Nokia Maps and Bing Maps work offline as the backend is the same (Navteq). Maybe sabby is right, they preloaded the Indian maps. Or maybe it downloaded over Wifi while you were checking it out earlier?

I use 3G/H+ all the time (on 8X). Usually I get through one and a half days of moderate usage with Battery Saver turned on while I'm sleeping. Consider Lumia 920 has the same internals and a bigger battery (but a slightly bigger screen) I would expect solid battery life. I have read reports of Ativ S getting through 3 days of use, including Tom Warren.

I have no qualms regarding the pricing. I was just praying that Nokia doesn't release this with a 44k price tag. It's the stocks I am talking about. Why does it seem to go out of stock so quickly? I do know that they aren't selling as well as iPhones do for sure. Why such low inventory?

Two possible explanations - 1) Nokia severely underestimated demand. Or more likely, 2) Apart from Samsung and Apple no one has the supply chain pull to stockpile millions of units of inventory before launch. Probably a combination of the two. We know WP8 sales are 4-5 times up over WP7.5 and that was a very optimistic figure to forecast. If you told the analysts WP sales would rise 400% they would think you are a madman. So let's commend Nokia for even ordering that many units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back