WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The news is rather invalid for us Indians! :p The Lumia 920 ships out with the Portico PR 1.1 update from the factory.

Lumia 920 and 820 getting excellent traction in India. Lumia 920 has PR1.1 / Portico Firmware Factory-installed. « Nokiapoweruser

Here's the screenshot from my device which I had posted back in the other thread -

h17yB.jpg

I saw few members discussing about FM radio. The fact that it was there in WP7.5 and has disappeared in WP8 is not good. But then again, WP8 is on NT kernel and the former wasn't. Probably it will make an appearance as update in future. I would definitely say that the hardware would be there in all cell phones, just that the software won't be supporting it. I also saw few more question about Games, most of the mobile games are made with Unity engine, and that wasn't supported in WP7, now that it is. Expect a slew of games to make it over to this side. With Xbox integration (smart glass), it is going to be a kick ass setup to have both in your home. For apps, it is already over 170,000 and that is not a small number. Android and others can claim quadruple that but really.. if you remove all the dupes out there, the number would be less. BTW, plugging in my own app, you guys can download the bus ticketing app (unofficial redbus app): Bus Finder | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

OK so I was transferring a few tracks from the PC to the device and noticed that if the ID3 tags are specified in the tracks, the tracks get sorted beautifully within the music apps. i.e. if the artist is the same and the album is different, the track gets sorted under both the sections. Neat!

When a track is being played and we get to the home screen, the live tile of the music app. would display the artist's name. The name runs both horizontally and vertically. Looks slick! Maybe I should upload a video to demonstrate that. :p

OK so I was transferring a few tracks from the PC to the device and noticed that if the ID3 tags are specified in the tracks, the tracks get sorted beautifully within the music apps. i.e. if the artist is the same and the album is different, the track gets sorted under both the sections. Neat!

When a track is being played and we get to the home screen, the live tile of the music app. would display the artist's name. The name runs both horizontally and vertically. Looks slick! Maybe I should upload a video to demonstrate that. :p

That is actually a backside tile. If you were in a country where the Xbox Music services worked the primary front tile would be visuals of the artist and the like. In fact, the lock screen could show information about the artist too. In India it is just a gradient. There might be some way to force this kind of info but haven't looked into yet. The new lock screen integration with live apps is great, by the way.

Getting very good battery backup on my device. After a full charge, the device gave me a whole day (plus a few hours) of usage with 3G. Was browsing, listening to music, watching Youtube videos etc. :)

I tried using the supplied micro USB charger (AC-16, 5V 1A) on my iPad 2 but it wouldn't charge. :p The amperage was low which explains it. The supplied iPad charger was 5V, 2.1A. I was wondering if I can use this iPad charger for charging the Lumia 920. The higher amperage means it might charge a lot more faster than the supplied Nokia charger but I am worried about the battery. :unsure:

On a related note, I ordered a Belkin car charger from eBay which was surprisingly retailing for Rs. 190 which is cheap for a Belkin branded product. Their generic USB cables used to retail for 300 and above. I'll report back once I have the charger with me. I hope it isn't a fake! :ashamed:

Guys how about lumia 822 for verizon...i read somewhere it is also a global phone and unlocked a cheaper alternative for 820..at 295 $ in ebay.. total cost may come to 18k for shipping to India.. Please advice on this as i am now win 8 bound after using lumia 800 for few days

There was some issue with Nokia Maps and Drive+ Beta because they were updated to their most recent versions. The marker used to remain stationary on both the apps. Did a factory reset of the device using the option from Settings and now all is well.

All the apps. installed were lost but as long as it is synced with Live, it will be restored after a re-sync. Photos and music can be transferred back to the device from the PC.

All the apps. installed were lost but as long as it is synced with Live, it will be restored after a re-sync. Photos and music can be transferred back to the device from the PC.

How do the 3rd party application install back, after an FR...?

Hey @Gannu congrats on the phone, I have a quick question does the contact information still display in a minute font, if yes can it be changed, asking cause got my dad the lumia 710 and he struggles with the contact font size.

Last edited by a moderator:
which should work with speech[/URL] (such as texting someone or searching for some location on Bing maps or searching for anything on Bing) but they don’t seem to work here - tried my best. Anyways, good job MS. I hope this improves further.

Sub - any thoughts about this? :p

Hey Gannu congrats on the phone, I have a quick question does the contact information still display in a minute font, if yes can it be changed, asking cause got my dad the lumia 710 and he struggles with the contact font size.

Thanks. Contact info displayed under People, are quite big to my eye but yes it is a bit small on the Lumia 710 (colleague sitting next to me has the 710; just checked it). There's a way of enhancing the contrast and size of the text displayed on the phone via Ease of Access under Settings but this does not seem to enlarge the contacts in any way - I just checked. However, the contacts are fairly big and I assume your father should have no problems with this device. Furthermore, the displayed content can also be magnified by tapping the screen, if this option is enabled under Ease of Access.

Thanks. Contact info displayed under People, are quite big to my eye but yes it is a bit small on the Lumia 710 (colleague sitting next to me has the 710; just checked it). There's a way of enhancing the contrast and size of the text displayed on the phone via Ease of Access under Settings but this does not seem to enlarge the contacts in any way - I just checked. However, the contacts are fairly big and I assume your father should have no problems with this device. Furthermore, the displayed content can also be magnified by tapping the screen, if this option is enabled under Ease of Access.

Thank you @Gannu sire, will get home and check it out, although he may not upgrade if he the contact details can be magnified, cause he is quite satisfied with his phone otherwise. Also, are you happy with the app collection, I know they have the basic apps, coming from iOS, you must feel a tad hampered. If you gamed on iOS, then you would feel even more lost, at least Mango did not have much choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I mentioned before, TP games such as Angry Birds and the likes are available (even Mirror's Edge, NFS: Hot Pursuit 2010 are on the store!). I don't game on my phone much. I have the iPad 2 for that. Applications are definitely limited on WP but this is likely to change since this platform is picking up and devs. shall realise that WP is a potential OS for smartphones.

I don't use voice, in most cases it is slower than touch. Especially with deep-pinning in Windows Phone it is usually much faster to touch in from the Start screen. But the Indian localization is definitely well done, it recognizes and even speaks with Indian accents. I have tried using speech dictation for e-mails a couple of times and it worked much better than expected. By the way, I just tried calling and texting, it seems to work for me though it has trouble with complicated Indian names. Search was a bit finicky though, but got it working on the fourth attempt. (Edit - I just realized that you have to say "Search for" instead of just "Search", maybe that's why it wasn't working well)

Microsoft Research is doing some amazing work with Speech, will definitely expect more to show up on Windows Phone. Recently they demoed the keynote presenter speaking into a mic in English, with the audience hearing Chinese in real time, in his own voice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back