WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldnt purchasing it in around May be a better idea itself?
You ll prolly get it even cheaper.. or am i missing something here ?
Tech is a never ending loop. There would be some other model in the market then and the wait counter would get reset. I have already bought this phone for that matter, but do not have a clue about the unlock yet.

Yeah, you are right. you are getting the AT&T NLs from anywhere between 220$ - 400$ which is a good deal. Add to that a 10$ unlock code and you are good to go. .

People on WPC are saying that the codes will be out in Apr/May :(

$220-400 for an AT&T version.is it in ebay or any other website? Also what is difference between AT&T and other one.. Is this comes with AT&T preloaded softwares?

Also Apr/May is too much waiting time for unlock codes... I'm planning of buying a one by march end. Also anybody using these, is it not feeling heavier(170g)... I could not find display model to check it.

@cri_sss you can check the phone out at a Reliance Digital or Croma store and see if you feel it is heavy. I didnt find it to be heavy as such, either case I would prefer a solidly built phone over one which feels delicate, even if it is the slimmest in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a somewhat related note, I am very impressed by Lumia 820. From a little hands-on impressions, the camera is as good as my 8X, performance is flawless and identical to 920/8X, and the AMOLED screen is gorgeous and this one has a polarizer which deflects sunlight. Yes, if you look closely text is not as sharp, but for most real world usage AMOLED's infinite contrast ratio is a perfect match for Windows Phone (dark theme). The biggest novelty is that this is the only phone which has a removable back cover (thus removable battery / microSD slot) and has great build quality at the same time. The downside of having that is of course it is relatively heavy and also it does not look as striking as 8X (but then, nothing does). The size and aspect ratio is just right too - the largest size for one handed use. For Rs. 26k this is an awesome deal. If I were buying a phone today I would buy this.

i had a look for the piece. Compared with pixi plus i felt bit heavy but rest everything looks good for me..

waiting for the unlock codes to be released to buy from ebay...

Most chances that this will not happen.

U mean AT&T won't release unlock codes at all?

I think Nokia or AT&T will release codes based on the competition. Based on the success of BB10, if they get enough competition from BB then they may release a new phone which is lighter and more features like better ram,proccy and cam specs.. So people will upgrade by selling the existing ones only if they release unlock code. This is how they can keep the numbers(WIN 8 phones) up. (both old and new phones). .. otherwise they can't cope up with android,ios..

Morever its all about number game in the market...

U mean AT&T won't release unlock codes at all?

Why will they provide codes to people who are never going to spend to time in the US where they can still make up for the loss of contractual control with at-least part time service provision.

I forgot to post my experience with the 920 in this thread. I bought the phone roughly 2 weeks back and I am really satisfied. No complaints and I am finding it much better than my Iphone 4S. All the apps that I needed such as Tripadvisor, Whatsapp, PVR, Bookmyshow, TOI, ET, Flashlight, Cleartrip, Nimbuzz, XE Currency, IMDB, Shazam, Twitter, Zomato etc are all there and they look and feel much better than how they were on the iOS.

I do not mind the weight and I have even added an Incipio NGP case to the phone. The screen is lovely and extremely responsive even when kept on the lowest sensitivity settings. Battery life is also better than Apple but still won't last the entire day with HEAVY 3G usage. Else its perfect. Its very easy to connect to the PC and acts just like a USB drive with no software requied to trasfer pics or music. You also get 1 year of free music downloads from Nokia and trust me there has not been one song on it which I could not find according to my choice. Audio quality is also good. I do not have to say anything about the camera and its ages ahead of my ex Apple. They keyboard is excellent too. Even the browser is way better than Apple's Safari. Its very easy to copy, paste and select text.

Overall, I am really satisfied with my purchase and I will definitely look forward to more WP8 devices in the future. They are only going to get better.

Cons:
1. No bluetooth file/image transfer yet.
2. Contacts/People tab can be little confusing at first but then you get used to it.
3. They should allow using the camera even if the screen is locked like in Apple.
4. No option to completely silence the phone (no ring and no vibrate).
5. Battery/Network indicator is not displayed all the time. You need to tap it to see it.
6. Each call is shown individually in the call log and makes the call log cluttered.

Congrats! About the cons, you have a hardware camera shutter button, hold it down and it opens the camera app directly and takes a shot, even if the screen is locked. The end result is it is faster to take a shot from a locked state than any other phone. You can silence it completely, just switch off both ringer and vibrate in the ringtones+sounds option. But yes, there should be an easy option from the sound pop-down. Agreed about the call list, it should be threaded like the Mail app, which does a great job of it.

I have used a Samsung Focus(WP 7.5) earlier and found most of the games and apps costlier when compared to android or apple, and most of the free apps available on android are paid apps on WP8.

What about the gaming experience...?
famous games like temple run and others...are they present in WP8...?

Overall, I am really satisfied with my purchase and I will definitely look forward to more WP8 devices in the future. They are only going to get better.

Cons:
1. No bluetooth file/image transfer yet.
2. Contacts/People tab can be little confusing at first but then you get used to it.
3. They should allow using the camera even if the screen is locked like in Apple.
4. No option to completely silence the phone (no ring and no vibrate).
5. Battery/Network indicator is not displayed all the time. You need to tap it to see it.
6. Each call is shown individually in the call log and makes the call log cluttered.
1. Bluetooth file transfer is present, select the photo, and click on share, you should see Bluetooth as an option.
3. Camera can be used while in lock screen mode, in fact WP7 itself supported that feature, i think much before the iOS did
just hold the camera button little longer and you should get the camera app working.
4. Silent mode is present, go to settings, ringtones+sounds, turn off vibration. Now press volume up or down, select ring in the popup menu, you should get silent mode.
5. Yes, it is design choice, simply cluttering info on the real estate is not nice aesthetic IMO
6. Yes, it can be and it is their design, probably can be improved by bunching them but then again there always pros and cons for any designs.
for the cases, head to 2buya on ebay/his site for CC1043 cases. i got the grey and cyan cases and it fits in perfectly and looks amazing.
Genuine Nokia CC-1043 Cyan / Blue Silicon Case - Lumia 920 - Genuine Cases - Mobile Accessories
P.S: I had to type this in notepad, why the hell doesn't ENTER create a new line in this editor..

@DarthVeda
Ok I just figured out the Bluetooth file transfer thing. Bluetooth needs to be switched on and then only the "share" option shows the Bluetooth option. The camera can also be used in the lock sreen mode but the phone display should be on and not completely dark or asleep. Silent mode is present too but only after switching vibration off. It would have been better if we could it straight from the top.

Thanks for link for the case. I was thinking of buying it from here,

Genuine Nokia CC-1043 Black Silicon Case - Lumia 920 | eBay

How much did you get it for final cost landed in India?

Last edited by a moderator:
The camera can also be used in the lock sreen mode but the phone display should be on and not completely dark or asleep.
Not sure what that means, because I can launch the camera even when my screen is completely dark (sleep mode due to inactivity).

DarthVeda
Ok I just figured out the Bluetooth file transfer thing. Bluetooth needs to be switched on and then only the "share" option shows the Bluetooth option. The camera can also be used in the lock sreen mode but the phone display should be on and not completely dark or asleep. Silent mode is present too but only after switching vibration off. It would have been better if we could it straight from the top.

Thanks for link for the case. I was thinking of buying it from here,

Genuine Nokia CC-1043 Black Silicon Case - Lumia 920 | eBay

How much did you get it for final cost landed in India?

Like Agantuk mentioned, camera can be launched even when phone is in sleep, just long press camera button. it has always been like that since WP7. I agree with you on the silent mode option, it looks it is only toggle between two choices rather than three in the profiles, not sure why it couldn't have been implemented. The link what you given is the same as what I have given, both are same. I had a friend who was in UK and was returning here in a fortnight, shipped it to my friend's place for 0GBP shipping, two cases cost came up to 15GBP. Now have to do with shipping to India since I want the yellow case as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back