Nokia Lumia 800 Pre Orders Open

pratikb said:
HERE it is

i have my focus connected over wifi at home network.
syncronising one hotmail account and one gmail account.all settings at default.
i dont have any problem with call quality on either airtel and bsnl
I will post photo of 3 days use.

You are getting amazing battery life :O My focus lasts 1.5 days with 1 gmail account connected over wifi, 15-20min gaming, few texts and calls.

again on topic,To be very frank,

As microsoft does control what hardware can be used on WP7 device,it makes it absolutely clean and catch worthy that majority of phones will have similar perf.

barring HTC ( I have not touched anything HTC and wont get anything HTC )

I am yet to find that nokia thing which they promised with WP7

their is honestly no reason for nokia to not include some nifty nokia only features.considering they have got special relationship with microsoft.

pratikb said:
HERE it is

pNmF7.jpg

where you referenced it with made in finland.

accept the fallacy.its well known and i have myself experienced hands on.

Difference between finland nokia phone and made by nokia phone.

Its true day and night.

synchronizing one hotmail account and one gmail account.all settings at default.

Umm.. only the N9 is a Finland unit , my Lumia is a China unit i believe. And it is impossible that you're getting that kind of battery life.

only thing they have had is promising nokia drive.

which is their proprietary nokia only feature but that also is coming to all WP7 phones.so I dont think their is any Nokia specific thing as of now on WP7.

wake me up when their is some specific exclusive feature which only nokia WP7 phone is having.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i will post the photo to prove my battery life claim.

to be even more frank.

great new CEO of nokia is making nokia ripe for eventual take over by some pretty big company.

What is currently happening is, nokia is streamlined to be become a microsoft franchisee.

see the people getting onboard on nokia.they are majority from microsoft.

its all for sake of american market share which they never got in past and its american share holders who are pulling chords on nokia.

future is bleak for nokia.

I see them as next HTC.

prove me wrong dear nokia.

only thing worth mentioning is their pentaband baseband for wcdma and camera in N8 .

those are only innovations they had for last 2 yrs or so.

excellent thing in nokia is their radio engineering and their navigation software.

navigation software is already getting assimilated in bing maps.

so that ends their latest and great 9 billion USD acquisition worthless from nokia point of view.

remains only their radio engineering.

lets see.

can you point out any differentiating feature which is exclusively nokia.?

Focus and lumia have the same processor. Maybe nokia has done some ui optimisation. But yeah it is drop dead gorgeous. Anyway the price drop will happen soon. The price of n8 did not drop because it was a flagship phone that has not had a replacement till now. When nokia gives us a new camera flagship it will most probably be phased out. Most if not all new symb phones will have full focus cameras imho.

aka911 said:
Focus and lumia have the same processor. Maybe nokia has done some ui optimisation. But yeah it is drop dead gorgeous. Anyway the price drop will happen soon. The price of n8 did not drop because it was a flagship phone that has not had a replacement till now. When nokia gives us a new camera flagship it will most probably be phased out. Most if not all new symb phones will have full focus cameras imho.

Nope..Focus has the ancient QSD8250@1GHz with Adreno 200 and the Lumia has a QSD8255@1.4GHz with an Adreno 205, so much much better performance...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pratikb said:
HERE it is

pNmF7.jpg

where you referenced it with made in finland.

accept the fallacy.its well known and i have myself experienced hands on.

Difference between finland nokia phone and made by nokia phone.

Its true day and night.

synchronizing one hotmail account and one gmail account.all settings at default.

Buddy, the connection over WiFi is active only when you are using the phone, not when it is locked, even WhatsApp doesnt get messages then...only the periodic email sync works...so no wonder, you're getting such a gr8 battery life...also, call quality as compared to better handsets with noise cancellation like the N8, E7, SE Arc etc...

Hell even I get 2 days out of my focus with 2 email accounts.
GPS and Games are battery killer for any smart phone out there.
As long as you dont do too much gaming or mapping activity 2 days out of focus is easy. 3 days possible if you are not using Mobile data much.
Battery life has reduced since the mango update which is to be expected, but its still strong.

The problem for Nokia is that in its current form, no WP device is worth anything more than 25k.
Hardware can only help to certain extent. N9 is perfect example of that. I absolutely adore it, but its dead before arrival as a modern smartphone.
Windows Phone app quality and availability is still a huge concern. With Android, more than 1 year in, you had plenty of free apps to choose from which were very suitable alternatives of their iOS counterparts.
With more than 1 year gone, Windows Phone 7 is still not showing any signs of that as far as apps are concerned and thats what makes me not want to spend top $ for device like Lumina.
I have no doubt it will be proper Nokia device that will be built like a Nokia. I just will not spend that much on WP device. Add to that nuisance of Zune. The level of reliance on Zune software is irritating.
Video playback is irritating. Automatic video conversion quality is unacceptable.
These are serious issues with the ecosystem which is at the moment not conducive for the success of a high end device like Lumina 800.
Its not Nokia's fault, but all these factors does count and Indian buyer will look at them and then the price and alternatives available.
You can just pickup SGS2, replace everything from launcher to app drawer to contact and mailing app to make it look like a S2 running WP7.5 smoothly for less while having access to matured market.

All these factors will play against Lumina 800. Its camera is clearly not the best nokia has to offer as well. It would have been completely different story if this has been priced closer to 20k than 30k. I was really considering replacing my Focus with this one, but not so sure now.

Excellent points Shripad! Couldn't agree more! (Except android having plenty of apps in 1 year - which is absolutely false)

If I were Nokia's CEO, I would keep Lumia 710 for ~14k and Lumia 800 for ~19k. Take the losses for six months...and come out with stunning handsets with Apollo in 2nd/3rd Q of 2012. Nokia CAN NOT gather significant marketshare with such prices. Not a single Windows Phone handset deserves 20k+ price tag. And if they don't have enough marketshare, developers will not create enough apps - which will affect future marketshare coz no one wants to buy OS without good apps and games - which means they cannot price next gen handsets at a premium due to lack of demand....and the vicious cycle will continue. I would not take such a big risk (pricing so high) when I put all my eggs in Microsoft's basket.

And about the missing features, if MS does not add following features in Apollo -
mass storage mode, bluetooth transfer, file manager, good codec support and basic dumbphone level features such as easier ringtone support (not hundred conditions on file type and size etc), separate volume levels for ringtone, music player, alarm (I mean WTF? :facepalm:)
then WP7 will never be mass market OS, at least not for Nokia.
Nokia is synonymous with such features and people will be royally pissed off when they see these things missing in a frikkin 30k phone! Don't give me reason that iPhone did not have it either and people didn't complain...well, Nokia != Apple...as simple as that.
And Elop should stop all the b***sh!t about why they chose to make Lumia 800 as it is. He gave cost and pricing strategy as reason for not including front camera! Really?? How stupid is that?

I was gonna replace my Focus with 800...but at this price - not a chance!

RVK2488 said:
Excellent points Shripad! Couldn't agree more! (Except android having plenty of apps in 1 year - which is absolutely false)

If I were Nokia's CEO, I would keep Lumia 710 for ~14k and Lumia 800 for ~19k. Take the losses for six months...and come out with stunning handsets with Apollo in 2nd/3rd Q of 2012. Nokia CAN NOT gather significant marketshare with such prices. Not a single Windows Phone handset deserves 20k+ price tag. And if they don't have enough marketshare, developers will not create enough apps - which will affect future marketshare coz no one wants to buy OS without good apps and games - which means they cannot price next gen handsets at a premium due to lack of demand....and the vicious cycle will continue. I would not take such a big risk (pricing so high) when I put all my eggs in Microsoft's basket.

And about the missing features, if MS does not add following features in Apollo -
mass storage mode, bluetooth transfer, file manager, good codec support and basic dumbphone level features such as easier ringtone support (not hundred conditions on file type and size etc), separate volume levels for ringtone, music player, alarm (I mean WTF? :facepalm:)
then WP7 will never be mass market OS, at least not for Nokia.
Nokia is synonymous with such features and people will be royally pissed off when they see these things missing in a frikkin 30k phone! Don't give me reason that iPhone did not have it either and people didn't complain...well, Nokia != Apple...as simple as that.
And Elop should stop all the b***sh!t about why they chose to make Lumia 800 as it is. He gave cost and pricing strategy as reason for not including front camera! Really?? How stupid is that?

I was gonna replace my Focus with 800...but at this price - not a chance!

They are trying too hard to imitate Apple ecosystem but they forget that apple had a huge headstart.
And both their competitors now have very polished and refined products.

About Android, it's easy to loose track of time. G1 launched late September 2008. Became widely available by holiday season of 2008. By same time next year, HTC hero was out for good 5 months and was big hit in europe and Asia. Droid had launched in us and was huge hit. And nexus was announced and on it's way in couple of months.
We had plenty of apps that were actually needed by the time Hero came out.
No games, but plenty of small productivity apps. I still have my system files and pulled apk backups of these phones backed up on my PC.
I still use most of those apps today.

dhruvrock2000 said:
^^ Agreed , price is on the higher side.

And that's the ONLY real drawback. The design is great! Nokia's build quality and signal reception quality will be top notch as usual.
I thought Nokia will price it aggressively (it was a no brainer tbh) so was expecting 800 to be in the range of 22-25k at launch and about 20k within couple of months.
I hope Apollo handsets will knock my socks off! Patiently waiting for a TRUE Nokia flagship (kinda N95 era)

^^ Aren't we all? I mean it's been ages since we have heard or seen a true Flagship from the finnish company. I personally think that at one point of time they became much more complacent about their numero uno status in the market and stopped developing good stuff altogether. Sure there was the pentaband radio, sure there were some others as well, but nothing was as market or genre-defining anymore. Plus, nokia failed to develop Symbian into a modern OS to compete with the likes of iOS and Android, so every with some great features like cut-paste by default, Symbian didn't even make a dent in the mainstream market and lost huge shares while newbies like Android gained more and more popular each day.

I can give another such example, take Firefox and Chrome. We all used to be major fans of Firefox, and look where Chrome(even IE10, heck!) stands now in comparison to Firefox now!

I truly hope Nokia will bring some real competition in the market flooded by droids and iPhone. We need to see some sort of variance instead of everyone using the same thing with some customizations on top of it. They could have (and SHOULD have) continued Meego alongside their Wp7 commitments, but then that's another debate. But I can't find any reasons why Nokia would price the Lumia like that. On that price range, it comes in direct competition with Android flagships which will run around it all day.

I do remember a line from Engadget's awesome review of the n9 : " We dream of meego running in Galaxy Nexus Prime-class hardware"

Sigh :( maybe someday we will.

Back