New Rig 50K

okay, then Gigabyte it is I guess, Also i see that u mentioned the seasonic Xseries x 760 as an option for PSU, but i am having real trouble finding these PSU's, i even contacted the Distributors for Seasonic in India and the response wasn't very encouraging. Do u know any place where i can find the xseries since u are aware of it's price as well

Thanks !!

Hades. said:
You really dont like to believe what other people say... i think you haven't read my above post properly... And BTW are you sure that AMD wont bring a new socket in the year 2013?

And the early benchmark of Bulldozer 8core processor which got leaked shows that its 50% faster than already EOL'ed i7 950... and i7 2600k performes some 20 to 25% better than i7 950... I am not saying that Bulldozer processors would not perform better than SB processors but you really can't predict how bulldozer processors would perform until the bulldozer processors officially get reviewed... Lets wait and watch...

Well, you're the one who replied to my initial 16 core v/s 4 core saying more cores isn't usually better..

And I dont think I have to explain you AMD's socket history and how they stick to a socket for how long etc etc, it's clearly evident from the past few years(unless you have no idea at all).

WHat I mean is, when spending say 20k+ on CPU+MOBO, why not one which can actually be "UPGRADED"? I mean if he buys a SB LGA1055 today, and the only option for upgrade next year is another 4 core die shrink with a on-die GPU which he will most definitely not use and the processor being ending up at the same price??

That's why I suggested AM3+ Bulldozer, he buys 8 core today. Next year he can actually "UPGRADE" if he wants to to a 16 core, and not get stuck to 4 cores altogether.

comp@ddict said:
And I dont think I have to explain you AMD's socket history and how they stick to a socket for how long etc etc, it's clearly evident from the past few years(unless you have no idea at all).

True... But you really can't predict that what will happen in the year 2013... and AMD would stick to the same AM3+ socket in the year 2013 or not is something that we really can't predict... So i think you should stop suggesting people that buy this instead of that...

What I mean is, when spending say 20k+ on CPU+MOBO, why not one which can actually be "UPGRADED"? I mean if he buys a SB LGA1055 today, and the only option for upgrade next year is another 4 core die shrink with a on-die GPU which he will most definitely not use and the processor being ending up at the same price??

Current Intel Quadore's gives AMD Hexacore's a run for its money (i am talking about a generation old Nehalem processors here not about the new SB processors)... And if next year Intel would launch Hexacore Ivybridge processor... then it would definately outperform even Octacore bulldozer processors... AND BTW do you have Intel Ivybridge roadmap? How can you say that Intel would launch only Quadcore Ivybridge processors next year... And you are suggesting him to buy a 880/890 chipset motherboard which won't be able to fully utilize the performance of next generation bulldozer processors...

That's why I suggested AM3+ Bulldozer, he buys 8 core today. Next year he can actually "UPGRADE" if he wants to to a 16 core, and not get stuck to 4 cores altogether.

AFAIK in the month of june AMD is gonna release two 8core processors... AND BTW can you give me a link of a roadmap which shows that AMD would launch 16 core processor for enthusiasts in 2012...

Well TBH i myself don't feel comfortable buying a product that is shrouded in prediction, it's a well known fact that companies produce motherboards according to the CPU's , and not the other way around, so even if some of these AM3+ motherboards are out there, i don't want to go for these cos they could very well cause a bottleneck for the processor for which they are aimed at, since none of them have been tested and everything is actually based on assumptions. I do believe Sandy bridge would have been a better option out of the two, that is buying an AM3+ or going for the sandy bridge if I didn't have the way out of this, that is if I didn't have my current PC, also in desperate need of upgrade as well, had it not been there i would have looked towards Sandy bridge, but since i have the option to get a temporary build right now and then make a call few months down the line about both Intel as well as AMD,i believe this is the best solution according to the circumstances, plus i will get some practise overclocking the hell out of the temporary mobo and processor. LOL

Thanks both of you guys for the valuable input, i believe both of you are making good points but the situation demands discretion on my part and that's why i am going for a temporary AMD build now until the picture becomes clear on both AMD as well as Sandy bridge.

Current Intel Quadore's gives AMD Hexacore's a run for its money

what is wrong with you? I'm talking bulldozer and you keep bringing "currently" and Phenom II and shit, dont u understand? Phenom II as we know it, within 3 months will be history. period. and I know this is not "2013".

I thought everyone who can't upgrade their whole system every year want a FUTURE PROOF system. So there I am trying to suggest one, well, I've explained why I'm suggesting AM3+ and Bulldozer Platform. So why do you suggest SB and LGA1055?

When YOU YOURSELF stated that if bulldozer be 50% faster than i7 950, then it be 20-25% faster than Sandy Bridge itself!!!!! ??

preet27 said:
Well TBH i myself don't feel comfortable buying a product that is shrouded in prediction, it's a well known fact that companies produce motherboards according to the CPU's , and not the other way around, so even if some of these AM3+ motherboards are out there, i don't want to go for these cos they could very well cause a bottleneck for the processor for which they are aimed at.

True there's an iron curtain around the product, but you need to spare a thought to this : the current amd line up is backward compatible with the previous generation motherboards, and as far as I know, they dont bottleneck- unless the boards came out of the stone age id est.

I'm sure of one thing- AMD sure in hell does give a damn about the end user and would design their products accordingly, so if you are going to buy a board in a week , do so, and I dont think its going to dramatically affect your performance, considering the budget.

Good luck with the purchases

:cool2:

The thing is that with bulldozer they are keeping everything so tight, which was not the case with their earlier processors, AMD has really kept everything really tight, maybe it's the fierce competition but i do believe that the best mobo's will come after the bulldozer is released, and why invest more money into something when u know the best is still to come, plus i have an option to avoid it as well. It makes more sense for me in that respect.

comp@ddict said:
what is wrong with you? I'm talking bulldozer and you keep bringing "currently" and Phenom II and shit, dont u understand? Phenom II as we know it, within 3 months will be history. period. and I know this is not "2013".

If you would check your first post you would come to know that you suggested him an already old chipset motherboard... And BTW how can you predict that it will outperform current SB and the LGA2011 processors? Why are you suggesting him something which is not officially launched yet... and no official benchmark has leaked yet... We can suggest him an SB based rig now coz we know that how it performs... And the AMD 8 core processor benchmark which got leaked shows that it performs 50% better then i7 950... its a rough estimation... No other benchmarks have been leaked which shows that Bulldozer processors performs better in every application... And i am not stopping OP from buying bulldozer processors but its not the right time to buy a motherboard for future bulldozer processors which would launch with 990xx chipset... And if OP would go with either platform then he would be making a good choice... So OP should wait for BD processors to officially get launched with 990x chipt motherboards... instead of buying an old chipset motherboard now and upgrading the processor later which you are suggesting him to do...

I thought everyone who can't upgrade their whole system every year want a FUTURE PROOF system. So there I am trying to suggest one, well, I've explained why I'm suggesting AM3+ and Bulldozer Platform. So why do you suggest SB and LGA1055?

Can you tell me in which post did i recommend OP to not buy the upcoming BD processors...

When YOU YOURSELF stated that if bulldozer be 50% faster than i7 950, then it be 20-25% faster than Sandy Bridge itself!!!!! ??

Can't you see that they are comparing an 8core processor with an already eol'ed i7 950 quadqore processor instead of comparing it with i7 980 6core processor... comparing an 8core processor with a quadcore processor is like comparing oranges with apple... Its obvious that 8core processor would outperform a quadcore... Is there any benchmark which shows that FX8xxx performs better than the intel's best 980x (now dont bring up the price debate here)

preet27 said:
The thing is that with bulldozer they are keeping everything so tight, which was not the case with their earlier processors, AMD has really kept everything really tight, maybe it's the fierce competition but i do believe that the best mobo's will come after the bulldozer is released, and why invest more money into something when u know the best is still to come, plus i have an option to avoid it as well. It makes more sense for me in that respect.

For that matter, after the bulldozer comes out, what if intel gives a press release saying a new line of processors are out cheaper than what the bulldozers are, what then ? Technology and Waiting arent really symbiotic imo :p (no offense mate)

I agree technology is moving so fast nowadays, but the thing is that although it moves but still there comes a point of sudden jump and then a relative calm period in terms of technology, like jumping to dual cores was a relative high jump from single core processors and then a regular pace of adding another cores came along, similarly with bulldozer this is the phase of a big jump relatively, why i call it a phase of big jump well for that u have to study the architecture that AMD has leaked of bulldozer processors, the pace of technology will still go on, but the magnitude of jump won't be as significant.
To give a better example, u remember the times when wheel mouse were there, they kept on increasing their qulaities, but once the optical mouse came that was a very significant jump and phased out the wheel mouse, and then came the laser technology, which is giving optical mouse a run for their money, there was the phase where optical mouse kept increasing the dpi and senstivity, until laser stepped in the zone.

So no doubt with the pace of technology is not smybiotic to waiting, but when u see something big on the horizon, it's prudent and wise to weigh your options.

if i didn't have an option that benefitted me in the long run, i would have looked for other options, but since i have a PC that needs upgrade why i shouldn't wait for a few months doesn't make sense, cos i would be upgrading my current pc in a few months time too, and since it's going to be used by my parents, i am surely not going to invest lakhs in it, so if investing now in a temporary rig solves both my problems why shouldn't i go for it is a no brainer.

Thanks to all you guys for the interest and valuable inputs.

And i suggested you 785GMT-US2H as it supports 125w CPUs... And its newer as compared to 78LT M LE and has better build quality... - Hades

sigh hades, you were the one who suggested him an old chipset, I havn't suggested him to buy anything yet, except my opinions of SB v/s bulldozer

Can't you see that they are comparing an 8core processor with an already eol'ed i7 950 quadqore processor instead of comparing it with i7 980 6core processor

do you know bulldozer is a 4 module processor? 4 modues as in 4 cores to intel, 8 cores(2 per module, shared architecture) in bulldozer is in sync with 8 cores in a intel processor with HYPERTHREADING.

So you see, the 8 core bulldozer you are talking about was made to counter the 8 Logical core i7 950. And If you take into account 50% more performance than i7 950, that puts it exactly at i7 970 6 core 12 Thread performance...

---

I recommend you go through those Bulldozer articles on sites like Techreport. They were posted a while back, but they will explain everything clearly. In the beginning even I was thinking "what an epic fail, 8 cores to counter intel's 2008 4 core", but reading the article made me aware of amd's actual plans.

EDIT:

Lets stop fighting

comp@ddict said:
EDIT:

Lets stop fighting
Phew.

BTW : I also recommend one thing to both of you guys, Please wait for the bulldozers to come in before we start crying wolf/dance about what it can/can't do :) (No offense)

You can also lookout for a C2D/AMD Athalon Mobo+CPU combo in the market section to tide over for a couple of months. I am in the same boat as you... Need to upgrade my 4.5yr old C2D proccy, but since my current system is running fine for normal usage, I can wait and see how things are unfolding in the next couple of months.

@comp@ddict

Dont try to teach me what bulldozer architecture is as i already know the two core per module thing... And i suggested him to buy 785gmt board for his temporary usage rig not for bulldozer processor... You know what you should read the person's post first with whom you are arguing. And OP has clearly mentioned so many times that he is gonna build a rig for himself in the month of june which according me is the right time as bulldozer processors would launch till that time and if bulldozer doesn't perform well then he would be having an option to buy a Z68 board along with 2500k... And you know what you should just stop beating dead horse...

@comp@ddict

Dont try to teach me what bulldozer architecture is as i already know the two core per module thing

i thought i said lets not fight, you are indifferent.. very well

well, @OP, if you are gonna buy a rig in june, COME BACK IN JUNE. Look what you've done :p

comp@ddict said:
i thought i said lets not fight, you are indifferent.. very well
well, @OP, if you are gonna buy a rig in june, COME BACK IN JUNE. Look what you've done :p

:bleh:LoL, If it puts an END to the squabble and maintains the Decorum, i am more than happy to take the BLAME for Intiating this madness, Sorry comp@ddict for starting this, i'll post the pics of the temporary rig in this thread only, and come back in JUNE or JULY or whenever the damn Bulldozer rolls over on it's back to continue with the Bulldozer Sandy bridge madness :cool2: Peace till then ...

Thanks to all for the Valuable input. :)

thanks for understanding..

btw whats ur full name?

The first 5 letters of my name match urs.. I've never met another person who has the exact same name as me, every letter.

Even facebook shows 6-7 accounts on my name, but all are mine itself(i do know one of them is the one I lost the password of, the others are god knows how they ended up)

comp@ddict said:
The first 5 letters of my name match urs.. I've never met another person who has the exact same name as me, every letter.
Hmmm .... i don't quite get the matching part,

Regarding the question about my name, it is Gurpreet Singh

Back