New Rig 50K

preet27

Disciple
Questions

1.Q: What is your budget?

a. 50K

2.Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

It's a very old PC, so no point telling about it

3.Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

None, it's a brand new build

4.Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

PROCESSOR – PHENOM II X6 1090T 3.2GHz 9MB L3 CACHE
RAM – CORSAIR XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
MOUSE – LOGITECH M500 WIRED LASER MOUSE
KEYBOARD – MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000
MOTHERBOARD – ASUS CROSSHAIR 4 FORMULA
HARD DISK DRIVE – SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.12 1TB
CABINET – COOLER MASTER 690 PURE
MONITOR – VIEWSONIC VX2250wm 22†MONITOR
POWER SUPPLY UNIT – CORSAIR VX550W
DVD DRIVE – L.G/SAMSUNG OEM SATA DVD WRITER

5.Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

a. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
b. GPU
c. Multifunction Printer

6.Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

a. Chandigarh
b. Open to online purchase

7.Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

a. No

8.Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a.Gaming
b.Browsing
c.Desktop Processing
d.HTPC
e.Download rig, 24x7 operation
f.Watching HD movies

9.Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

a. No

10.Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

All kinds

11.Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

I keep changing it

12.Q: Are you looking to overclock?

a. Yes, not right now but in the future

13.Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

a.Windows 7

Processor Intel Core i5 2500 10250

Motherboard MSI H67MA-UD2H (B3) / Asus P8H67 M LE (B3) 7500/6500

RAM Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2600

GPU MSI HD6850 9500

HDD Seagate 7200.12 1TB 2700

Cabinet NZXT GAMMA 2100

Monitor BenQ G2220HD 7400

PSU Corsair VX550 4650

Keyboard Logitech MMKB 400

Mouse Logitech MX518 1200

Speakers Altec Lansing VS2621 1500

DVD Writer Samsung 950

Total 50750/49750

Well since i am going to overclock in the near future i am prefering AMD phenom II x6 1090T black edition and the Asus crosshair 4 formula or extreme. Any reasons i should not go for them.

Why dont u grab a cheap Athlon II X4 CPU now and a AM3+ compatible motherboard instead? I'm damn sure it's a better path than SB since LGA1055 will get you stuck to 4 cores(Ivy Bridge in 2012 is 4 cores) and AM3+ will give you upto 16 Cores

^^ There are no leaked benchmarks to even provide a slight hint of the bulldozer performance (specifically single threaded applications). With just a couple of months for launch, they are still managing to keep it so tight.

comp@ddict said:
Why dont u grab a cheap Athlon II X4 CPU now and a AM3+ compatible motherboard instead? I'm damn sure it's a better path than SB since LGA1055 will get you stuck to 4 cores(Ivy Bridge in 2012 is 4 cores) and AM3+ will give you upto 16 Cores
Hmmm.... it does make sense what u are saying, i know this is not the best time to buy a PC right now, with Bulldozer just on the horizon ...

^^ Let's hope so. I am holding my Rig upgrade.. waiting.. waiting...waiting for benchmarks at least.

OP: why do you want to go for a Phenom setup at this time when Bulldozer is so close to launch? My suggestion is to hold back a couple of months and see how those much anticipated FX CPUs perform. June/July will be the best time to buy, unless you need a system now urgently.

Well yes I do require a PC urgently, since i am shifting in a few days and my current PC would stay at this palce, and i will be without a PC then, so yes i do need it urgently, but coming back to the point mentioned above about buying an AM3+ board with a cheap athlon processor, i am kind of thinking about it, so any suggestions on the best AM3+ boards available which are at least at par with the Asus crosshair formula 4 / extreme in features, plus overclocking abilities

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Okay, after analyzing the pros and cons, first off buying off a AM3+ motherboard for future bulldozer processors is a very genuine argument, and i cannot overlook that, but i also have to consider my circumstances and the need for a working PC atleast.

So i have decided to postpone my purchase of the motherboard as well as the CPU (AM3+ and bulldozer), but i will still need a working PC in the next few days, and since my current PC is a very old one and is in desperate need of an update i was thinking of buying a very low end CPU and Motherboard which can fulfill my needs for a working PC at the current moment and once the bulldozer is out and we have some decent AM3+ motherboards as well i will salvage the temporary CPU and Mobo to my OLD PC, which is already pretty outdated and in desperate need of help.

for my temporary purposes i am thinking of going for AMD Athlon II X2 250(3Ghz, 2 cores, 2MB Cache)
Can u suggest a motherboard which will be the best VFM to go with this CPU, since i want to invest in the 4Gb RAM right now considering the sharp decline in prices ATM, so the motherboard should be able to support the RAM mentioned in OP. I have a creative sound Blaster live 24 bit card on my current pc and a 256Mb graphics card so the motherboard should be able to support these since, my old HDD is IDE and not SATA, so atleast 1 IDE slot is required, i want to salvage the max out of all these once i shift towards the am3+ and bulldozer CPU's

Also will the new AM3+ motherboards support the Ram i am thinking of investing in (CORSAIR XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

Suggestions please ....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Well i was expecting some kind of suggestions, but either ways all i can do is try

Okay so i was apprehneding my would be power requirements on my future bulldozer, bobcat am3+ Rig, and i was thinking of getting a high end PSU at this time to avoid minting money twice, so after a lot of considerations i have come to a decision that 750w would be enough to harbour my overclocking needs on a future build, so i was looking for the PSU's in that range.

The corsair 750w HX is a very costly option at around 8600 INR which is almost 40$ costlier than what one would get the same product in US for, i was also looking at xfx 750w Black Edition, and a lot of reviews rate it a very good PSU, but the problem is that it isn't available locally, the only site i could find shipping one of these beasts to India was expansys and their price comes out to be 155$ including shipping. Now if anyone can help me out here

Is it advisable to buy a PSU online from a online store like expansys ?

Also would love some suggestions on the motherboard, comeon people would appreciate some help here !!! :(

@comp@ddict

more cores doesn't always mean more performance... haven't you seen a core i7 950 (quadcore with HT) benchmark thrashing AMD Phenom II x6 1090T in almost every benchmark...

And i wouldn't really suggest OP to do what you are suggesting coz AM3+ (890FX/GX + SB850) chipset motherboards would definately support bulldozer processors but would not be able to fully utilize the potential of next generation bulldozer processors as the new processors would come with turbocore 2.0 technology aswell as with some more features which current 890FX/GX + SB850 chipset motherboards wouldn't be able to support... So he should buy a sandybridge based rig now or he should rather wait for the bulldozer processors to launch with the 990FX chipset motherboards... AND BTW i think Intel will launch 6/8 core ivybridge processors in the year 2012 which would be compatible with current H67/P67 motherboards... So going with an SB based rig would be an ideal thing to do... Or if OP wants to see what bulldozer processors has to offer then he can wait till june...

@OP

So i have decided to postpone my purchase of the motherboard as well as the CPU (AM3+ and bulldozer), but i will still need a working PC in the next few days, and since my current PC is a very old one and is in desperate need of an update i was thinking of buying a very low end CPU and Motherboard which can fulfill my needs for a working PC at the current moment and once the bulldozer is out and we have some decent AM3+ motherboards as well i will salvage the temporary CPU and Mobo to my OLD PC, which is already pretty outdated and in desperate need of help.

If you are gonna do this then can you tell me how much you would spend on CPU + Motherboard + GPU in the month of june... i am asking this coz till that time you would be able to save some more money... which you can invest in better CPU + Motherboard + GPU...

@Hades First of all thanks for taking the time out to reply to my post here

Secondly as i mentioned that i have a pretty outdated system that i am running on currently, and i need a working rig in the next few days so for me the best option i thought was to buy a cheap end processor like the AMD Athlon II X2 250, and a low end motherboard to go along well with that and RAM as well, and salvage these three to my current rig at a later date once the picture of bulldozer is clear and there are some actually good AM3+ boards in the market.
Well i agree with your argument that more cores doesn't mean better performance, but i have been studying the architecture of these so called bulldozer and bobcat processors and i do feel that they are in a different league of their own

Rest all the parts i am thinking of investing into right now, cos prospects of OLED doesn't look very encouraging price wise in case of monitors, plus PSU's from seasonic and Corsair are already hitting the nail on it's head efficiency wise, keyboard and mouse are also pretty much singing the same song for quite a few number of years now, Cabinets too have hit a kind of saturation point. As far as HDD goes 1Tb is more than enough for my needs, and i might add another SSD at a later date.

Now coming to the question u asked about how many would i shed for mobo + CPU + GPU + RAM at a later date i would say that i am open to any kind of budget for that, it was only due to the time limit that i had to have a working PC in a few days time coupled with my limited resources at this point of time in my life that i was going for a limited budget PC of 50K, but whatever i save now out of this rig plus the amount i save over the next few months i can say that i would be easily open to even 50K or more at a later date.

i hope u do understand my P.O.V, since buying a lower end CPU coupled with Lower end mobo and RAM ATM is not a waste of money for me as i am going to salvage these to this current PC, which my parents use and it could use a few updates of it's own as well.

So please if you can suggest a lower end mobo to go with AMD Athlon II X2 250 and having IDE connector as well.

Processor AMD Athlon II x2 250 2700

Motherboard Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H / 880GM-UD2H 3400/3900

RAM Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2600

GPU Onboard HD4200 / HD4250

HDD Seagate 7200.12 1TB 2700

Cabinet CM 690 4300

Monitor BenQ G2220HD 7400

PSU Corsair TX750 (Non Modular) / Seasonic X760 (Fully Modular) 6500/8525

Keyboard Razer Arctosa 2000

Mouse Razer Deathadder 2100

Mousepad Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Omega 500

Speakers Altec Lansing VS2621 1500

DVD Writer Samsung 950

Total 36650/39175

I've suggested all the high end components above as you are gonna put the CPU + Mobo + RAM in your old rig in the month of june and as you've mentioned above that you would add bulldozer CPU + Mobo + GPU in the new rig...

Thanks for the effort u have put in to put together that list

I have a few points i would like to put across, don't u think 3400 - 3900 for a temporary mobo would be an overkill, i was thinking of Asus M4A78LT-M LE since i am going to salvage it to my current system after couple of months.

Also Corsair 2GB DDRIII 1333MHz VS2GB1333D3 G Ram would be more than enough, since after a couple of months my parents are going to be the one's using these parts, 4Gb i feel is a waste of money in that sense.

i could rather save those couple of thousands and invest in more RAM down the line
Regarding the Razer Arctosa Keyboard, i was checking the reviews on that and the reviews are suggesting that it's a keyboard for the typist kind as the printing of the letters is only visible at an angle, plus the paint has been noticed to wear off after 6 - 7 months of use. Do u have any other recommendation for the keyboard ?

Also do let me know what u think of the ASUS mobo and is there any better option in that price range, that is Rs. 2600 range

OP: For you to just have a running system, go for the cheapest AM3 mobo on the market. Ram you can get it now and salvage it for the new system or you can get just 2gb now and get a new one later. It's up to you.
preet27 said:
Regarding the Razer Arctosa Keyboard, i was checking the reviews on that and the reviews are suggesting that it's a keyboard for the typist kind as the printing of the letters is only visible at an angle, plus the paint has been noticed to wear off after 6 - 7 months of use. Do u have any other recommendation for the keyboard ?

Also do let me know what u think of the ASUS mobo and is there any better option in that price range, that is Rs. 2600 range
I recently got the Arctosa keyboard. I had read reviews on it and then decided to give a try since my old keyboard was getting stuck. One thing i noticed is that there are two models (black lettering on black keys, silver lettering on black keys) Many review sites used the black letter on black keys and complain about key readability. Get a silver on black and you are good to go. I have used it for only a couple of days now... here are my views
Pros
Slim profile
Short depth keys (like laptop keys, but not as flimsy) some like this, some dont
Comes with a wrist pad for long use
macro capability ( I am yet to play around with it)
Cons
The Num-Lock/Caps Lock led is a little too bright and distracting. It looks cool in white, but bright. I am planning to open up and put a sticker inside to dim it
The keys make a little amount of plasticy noise. It is not as quiet as a laptop keyboard, but not a major issue for me.
Media keys are not touch sensitive like the Lycosa

Overall my opinion is that it is a pretty good keyboard, but @ 2000/- I feel it is overpriced. If you can afford, get the Lycosa, else this is a budget variant of it. It is quite decent. I will put up some pics in the show-off thread soon :D:D

@ vpraveenis, Thanks for sharing your experience BRO, and i do agree with you on the overprice thing, i also feel it is overpriced, but also i am not the kind who like to keep changing their keyboards, my current keyboard has been serving me well for over 7 years now and has never once given me any problem. As far as choosing a keyboard goes i gotta admit style is a very big factor, since u can get any working keyboard for a couple of hundred bucks, even my Samsung one that i am using currently costed only 125 Rs at that time, and it is still going strong, talk about VFM, LOL

got to give point to razer for VFM in respect to style, cos i have seen a lot of logitech and microsoft boards who are fugly as anything yet their cost is way exaggerated.

Once again thanks for sharing the useful information about the silver on black, but i have heard bad things about the colour fading off after 7 to 8 months, that would be a big problem for me, cos i don't have the keys rememberd by heart and i have to look at them while typing.

@OP

i suggested XMS3 kit for your new rig... Plus its right time to buy RAM as RAM price is increasing... and after few months i think you would get rams at higher price... so i would advice you to buy Rams for both the rigs now... :)

And i suggested you 785GMT-US2H as it supports 125w CPUs... And its newer as compared to 78LT M LE and has better build quality...

Thanks for ur invaluable input BRO

So i am thinking that since i will be investing for a newer AM3+ board in a couple of months does it make sense to shell out 700 - 800 Rs. more for a board on which the only processor i am going to use is the AMD Athlon II X2 250 which has a power rating of 65W, Do u think there is a better board than Asus 78LT M LE in its price range ( 2600 ) ?

Will heed to the advise of buying both the Ram's now

more cores doesn't always mean more performance... haven't you seen a core i7 950 (quadcore with HT) benchmark thrashing AMD Phenom II x6 1090T in almost every benchmark...

for some reason i intend to believe a 16 core bulldozer definitely means more performance than a 4 core sandybridge(or 8 core HT)

and I dont see enuf reason for such a high budget rig to get stuck to 4 cores today and the next year(2013 new socket haha) instead of investing in a platform which actually has a future

So i am thinking that since i will be investing for a newer AM3+ board in a couple of months does it make sense to shell out 700 - 800 Rs. more for a board on which the only processor i am going to use is the AMD Athlon II X2 250 which has a power rating of 65W, Do u think there is a better board than Asus 78LT M LE in its price range ( 2600 )?

Asus has Bad After Sales Service in india... Asus products RMA is handled by Rashi... Which is infamous... So if you are willing to spend 700 bucks more then do consider Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H... And one thing more people here on TE suggest Gigabyte boards coz Gigabyte offers good after sales service in india... Plus 785GMT-US2H comes with HD4200 IGP... which is good for watching HD movies... and i think that you would like to watch HD movies on the rig that you are building now (which you would ditch in the month of june)... now i totally leave the rest on you... if you wanna save 700 bucks then go ahead and buy 78LT M LE...

for some reason i intend to believe a 16 core bulldozer definitely means more performance than a 4 core sandybridge(or 8 core HT)

and I dont see enuf reason for such a high budget rig to get stuck to 4 cores today and the next year(2013 new socket haha) instead of investing in a platform which actually has a future

You really dont like to believe what other people say... i think you haven't read my above post properly... And BTW are you sure that AMD wont bring a new socket in the year 2013?

And the early benchmark of Bulldozer 8core processor which got leaked shows that its 50% faster than already EOL'ed i7 950... and i7 2600k performes some 20 to 25% better than i7 950... I am not saying that Bulldozer processors would not perform better than SB processors but you really can't predict how bulldozer processors would perform until the bulldozer processors officially get reviewed... Lets wait and watch...

Okay, are there anymore boards in the same price range of Gigabyte 785GMT-US2H so that i can compare a few before taking a call on this.

Back