Need to buy Power strip with surge / spike protection (Details Inside)

raksrules

Elite
I need to buy a power strip with surge / spike protection mechanism. I have burned (not literally) my hands with a low quality one which busted several adapters connected to that power strip. So this time i want to buy something which is superior in quality. Although spikes / surges are very rare buy they have happened so protection against them is required.

Main requirements..

1. Minimum 6 power slots in the power strip
2. Spike / Surge protection.
3. Power slots should be able to accommodate Indian and US type plugs ( China type ones would be a plus but not compulsory).
4. Individual switches for each power slot is good to have but in anyways not compulsory.

Please suggest where to buy, online or some store, in Mumbai ??

How is huntkey? I had a order incoming from prime so i included that as well as i needed one. Not sure how good it is.

Belkin gold 8 port is 700/900 , Dont go on mrp , check market . The ebay link you have given , i had bought this from tradus long time back for 450 bucks . Tradus had all those coupons that time . @raksrules

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using this for the past couple of years.
MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac
bought this for around 500 Rs. at that time from the electrical shops near masjid bunder. Local shop price was around 650 IIRC.

The individual switches also have LED/bulb illumination which indicates whether the switch is on or off. It also has child protection (plastic covering the socket) which I like because it prevents dust from accumulating in the open/unused sockets.

MX is a very well known brand and if you inquire at the local electrical shops, this is what they will recommend.

^^
+1!
{am subscribed to their newsletters (though my inbox gets mauled by them, but am amazed at the plethora of the products they have & uniqueness of some of them. they also have a headphone-amp!)}.

there are 3 choices for power-strips --> belkin, MX, huntkey. you can choose any one of them.

Yes the MX one is also good and as people suggesting here, is it a good idea to buy from local shop rather than online ?
The one suggested by @pr0ing i liked that also.

local shops may give you better price. also, you could contact MX at their andheri address, and also there 's one shop at lamington road which deals in MX electronics' items (i should have its visiting card kept somewhere).

this may also help (post #5):
MX CABLES by MDR Electronics

Update: Alright. Its Associated Electronics (amongst the left hand-side shops on main lamington road, a few steps ahead of the idli-saambhar waala stall).

local shops may give you better price. also, you could contact MX at their andheri address, and also there 's one shop at lamington road which deals in MX electronics' items (i should have its visiting card kept somewhere).

this may also help (post #5):
MX CABLES by MDR Electronics

Update: Alright. Its Associated Electronics (amongst the left hand-side shops on main lamington road, a few steps ahead of the idli-saambhar waala stall).

yes i am going to check local electronic shops as well. Going to lamington road might not be possible. Any idea what price the 6 port with individual switches is available at, locally ?
Online i found one on ebay for under 800 rupees.

Btw are the following two different or same ?

MX 6 Port Socket Outlet Universal Surge Protector 5FT MX-983G | eBay

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

They both look almost same except one has green color.

yes i am going to check local electronic shops as well. Going to lamington road might not be possible. Any idea what price the 6 port with individual switches is available at, locally ?

so did you get one? i got an email from primeabgb on their collection of huntkey powerstrips.

No not yet. I am now in Pune for my job and might be going to Mumbai only next weekend and that is not sure. So buying this spike guard is delayed for now.

alright.
if you wish to check out that email, then please PM me your email ID.

DONT go for either of these. the switches are not very good, and break off soon. they are the same, except for the color. i have this exact green one with 4 ports. Check out my previous post in this same thread. the ones i have posted is good.

DONT go for either of these. the switches are not very good, and break off soon. they are the same, except for the color. i have this exact green one with 4 ports. Check out my previous post in this same thread. the ones i have posted is good.

Hey I am confused by your reply. You said that both the 6 port ones (white and green) are essentially the same and you are suggesting not to buy them ?
But in your earlier post it is mentioned that you are satisfied by MX products. :S

Back