Need help with buying a coffee espresso maker

Be warned though, it's a deep hole. Once you've had good coffee, it's very difficult to enjoy instant. Yes, five year old ground coffee still tastes better than instant.
More head stuff

If everything you drink is special then nothing is special...

Last edited:
There's a joke that europeans have about instant coffee, they don't call it coffee, they call it 'instant' and they're very apologetic if that's all they have to serve, haha.

Mokapot is probably the best option, i got a couple over the years and I never paid more than a few hundred. Most large-chain super markets have them for a lower price than Amazon. They're usually aluminum too, so they'll never rust and last a very long time.

You can get preground coffee from places like Blue Tokai, but order directly from their website instead of Amazon, the coffee is fresher. That said, I do have ground coffee that's been stored in an air tight container in my freezer since 2018 and it's still pretty good. Be warned though, it's a deep hole. Once you've had good coffee, it's very difficult to enjoy instant. Yes, five year old ground coffee still tastes better than instant.

Once you know how much sugar you like your in your coffee, add sugar to your cup first then slow pour your coffee in. I spent years doing it the other way around, struggling to get it properly mixed and dissolved. Then one day I saw someone's grandmother do it this way at IKEA and I was blown away with how much easier my life had become.

For foam, this manual contraption works better than anything motorized and takes less than 30 seconds if you start with warm milk:

It's much easier to clean too, just rinse in hot water with a small dab of dish washing soap/powder.

Also like others have suggested, use full cream/fat milk. I use Amul Gold, that's what most coffee places here use. The packaging is white/red and it comes in both box and bag. There's a world of a difference between something like this and toned milk. I could never enjoy toned milk coffee even though we're all riddled with cardiac disease in my family (primary hyperlipidemia).
Moka pot seems good, ill look into getting that
I heard i need specificly ground beans for specific equipments, that's why they have the type of equipment on the package? What type do i need for moka?
And is blue tokai better than levazza? I saw levazza being recommended in this thread itself

I heard i need specificly ground beans for specific equipments, that's why they have the type of equipment on the package? What type do i need for moka?
The only difference is the grind size. It makes a big difference in brew time, extraction, and therefore taste. For Moka Pot, you need a grind size that is coarser than espresso, but finer than filter coffee. Most specialty roasters will allow you to choose Moka pot as a grind size when you order.

And is blue tokai better than levazza?
I have used Blue Tokai, and I can vouch for the fact that when they say something is "light roast" vs "dark roast", it is actually correct. I've not used Lavazza, but I've tried ordering from a few other places, and what they claim to be "light roast" I would consider to be really dark.

The only difference is the grind size. It makes a big difference in brew time, extraction, and therefore taste. For Moka Pot, you need a grind size that is coarser than espresso, but finer than filter coffee. Most specialty roasters will allow you to choose Moka pot as a grind size when you order.

I have used Blue Tokai, and I can vouch for the fact that when they say something is "light roast" vs "dark roast", it is actually correct. I've not used Lavazza, but I've tried ordering from a few other places, and what they claim to be "light roast" I would consider to be really dark.
Alright so which blue tokai one should I get? I want something sweeter

Alright so which blue tokai one should I get? I want something sweeter
Anything that is marked "Chocolatey & Nutty" on their bag should work for you. For example:
  • Attikan Estate (This is one of the best sellers)
  • Thogarihunkal Estate (This is I think one of the most reliable ones, that tastes most like regular coffee without being too experimental)
Other good choices are:
  • M.S. Estate (This is one of my favorites)
  • Cafe Blend (This is what they serve in the Blue Tokai physical cafes, I would not recommend this unless you enjoy a slight tangy acidity in your coffee. It can taste really fresh, but mostly geared towards espresso or black coffee use)

Rs.2500 for a south indian coffee filter! nah, i think i'll buy a french press.
This? It's one litre. Doesn't look it but people say they're fairly durable. It's the silicone seal around the plunger that gives out but with James technique you won't even press the plunger.

Whether they deliver to your postcode? They do to mine.

This? It's one litre. Doesn't look it but people say they're fairly durable. It's the silicone seal around the plunger that gives out but with James technique you won't even press the plunger.

Whether they deliver to your postcode? They do to mine.
Store pickup only. My area not deliverable. Store is 100+KM away. Amazon is better for me. 2 day delivery.

Why Ikea? Isn't it considered low quality brand like Wallmart? Here they are selling at premium because they invested a lot in real estate for shops and need the money back asap.

This sipologie 1000ml unit has 1 day delivery and has coupon

Urban platter 850ml also next day delivery for around 900 and coupon

So what is different between the Ikea and these two units? Filter mesh? Plastic? Glass? I don't have knowledge on how to select a french press so asking.

IMO, the urban platter one , will break as soon as it falls(had the experience), I bought one from a local store, 500ml for 400 , and then use KC Roaster or Vienna roast , 1:15 ratio of coffee to water, works the best.

Why Ikea? Isn't it considered low quality brand like Wallmart? Here they are selling at premium because they invested a lot in real estate for shops and need the money back asap.

AFAIK based on online discussions, IKEA is considered better than Walmart but still affordable. And I personally trust European companies more than American companies because they seem to give a crap about rules and regulations.

With IKEA, You're getting exactly what you're paying for. For example, they have melamine/particleboard table tops for 2k and thicker bamboo/particleboard table tops for 6k.

BTW that French Press is listed for 899 on IKEA site.

IMO, the urban platter one , will break as soon as it falls(had the experience), I bought one from a local store, 500ml for 400 , and then use KC Roaster or Vienna roast , 1:15 ratio of coffee to water, works the best.
Glass will break when its dropped. I doubt any one makes unbreakable glass french coffee press.
BTW that French Press is listed for 899 on IKEA site.
oh, but problem is ikea has a very bad delivery network. They dont deliver outside mumbai city or even in mumbai city. Any pincode i put, i only get option of store pickup at IKEA R City store, Ghatkopar, Mumbai. If amazon can deliver furniture to my address from Chandigarh, i dont understand why ikea cant deliver a french press? hence i prefer not to buy anything from ikea.

Interest in speciality coffees is growing
While this seems to be true (I, having no interest in speciality coffee, have still been noticing this since the pandemic), not sure if VC expenditure is a good measure anymore. There's been an influx of VC money over the recent years in just about any market in India.

That is normal. Nobody knows where the money spinner will be so they try in a number of areas
What I mean is, after the recent recession we're seeing a lot more than normal VC coming in. This, combined with inflation of raw materials & more people quitting their jobs in the west, makes Indian businesses a better option for such investments; we produce the beans and got people to process them. Also, the money-spinners have largely been the tried-&-true markets like tech, automobiles, etc. for the most part; this sounds new AND doesn't seem to have detered such prudent investors.

So, it could be that more people than ever are now into speciality coffee; it could also be that more money than ever is burning a hole in the investors pockets. We've sure been more inviting than ever, while providing better options.

World over coffee bean plantations are declining due to hot weather and pests. Maybe they are just hedging their bets on Indian coffee plantations to grow even more to cater to world markets.

Subjective opinion....
if you feel like you would love french press then you have to try pour overs. seriously...
I have this pour over and and electric kettle. I grind my coffee and use a regular filter paper. I like it because there is almost no bitterness at all. Smells and tastes much better than french press. btw, I also have a french press which has been sitting in shelf for over 2 years now.

Avoid the French press. They are fragile and cleaning is a pain. I have quite a few broken ones in the cupboard.

If you absolutely must have a French press, use a normal glass/china vessel for infusion and pour the coffee out using a strainer.

After trying many methods, I have settled on Aeropress. Will cost you about the same as a French press and the convenience is hard to beat.

Last edited:
How about this Solis Perfetta Plus? Looks like an affordable starter for espresso

Reviews quite well vs. the more popular Breville/Sage Bambino Plus

The pressure portafilter is included for pre-ground coffee as well as a regular one.

Besides blue tokai who else offers roasting with date put on the packet? Any links
If you're looking for something not as expensive but still pretty good, Hunkal Heights have the Aranya Gold Coffee Beans for about 800/kg, I order 500g since that's my daily driver coffee for now

Back