Linux Need a program to do xyz task in GNU/Linux? Ask here!

Re: Need a program to do xxx task in GNU/Linux? Ask here!

Can someone help me out with a decent Download Manager and an alternative to 7-Zip. I am using Linux Mint 8 Helena (Gnome).

Is there any app like Kcron in Gnome ? I'm working in 11.2 btw.

H2O said:
Can someone help me out with a decent Download Manager and an alternative to 7-Zip. I am using Linux Mint 8 Helena (Gnome).

I use axel for downloading from http/ftp mirrors. For torrents, I usually stick to transmission/deluge. For compressing files/dirs I use bzip2. I haven't used 7-zip, so don't know how it performs compared to bzip2.

H2O said:

Hmm using DownThemAll for downloads, the default archive manager in gnome works quite well for all file format :D

Yup the default file anager is working fine. My only other gripe is that the font on TE is looking really tiny but this is only limited to TE.

H2O said:

7zip

install the package p7zip and you can use File-roller to extract. your files.

Download manager

There was too many of them! aria2,d4x,kget,axel,gwget,multiget,aria2fe(GUI for aria2) and list goes on...

But my favorite is wget -- because its extremely simple to use and being a CLI application, it super light:hap2:

H2O said:
Yup the default file anager is working fine. My only other gripe is that the font on TE is looking really tiny but this is only limited to TE.

Try something like this Windows XP Look for Ubuntu

Just get the fonts, no need to change the system look, firefox should pick up the fonts and may make TE look better :p

thanks. what about benchies? anyone tried the general phoronix test suite, is that safe/good to try?

vishalrao said:
thanks. what about benchies? anyone tried the general phoronix test suite, is that safe/good to try?

Dont try the binary available at their site, its partially broken and hangs he system :mad:

Better to compile from the source provided :)
Havent tried it yet after the binary failed to work...too lazy :p

Series60-Remote is an application to manage your mobile phone.Works for Selected Nokia Phones(S60)

Features:

* Send and receive text messages

o Send a message to multiple contacts

o Chat dialog like in normal instant messengers

o Message history browser

o Notification when you\'ve got a new message

* Contact Management

* Basic Informations about your mobile phone

* File Explorer/Manager

* Multilingual

http://series60-remote.sourceforge.net/i

Back with more requests :D

Any nice GUI editor for MP3 ID tags, especially easy-to-use, for those who have personally used any? I searched and I see "easytag" and "kid3" which I'll try now.

BTW, good to have a list on the first post, but the first two entries can be "controversial", you have put distro as Arch (what about others) and desktop environment as KDE (what about others :D) , so it would be nice to mention other alternatives like in the other ones you have for browsers or photo-editing. Or just remove those entries altogether? ANother one is Office suite, just openoffice mentioned, while there are alternative like KOffice, AbiWord, GNumeric etc.

Gaurish said:
Currently, I don't know of any such tool which work on Linux.
Seems decent.

Linux.com :: Phoronix Test Suite brings Linux benchmarking to the desktop

vishalrao said:

*cough**cough* Its been tested and reviewed :p Not to mention plethora of things have changed and drastic improvements have come under PTS.

screenshotdv.png

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0ft1yehmzhm

vishalrao said:

Any nice GUI editor for MP3 ID tags, especially easy-to-use, for those who have personally used any? I searched and I see "easytag" and "kid3" which I'll try now.

BTW, good to have a list on the first post, but the first two entries can be "controversial", you have put distro as Arch (what about others) and desktop environment as KDE (what about others :D) , so it would be nice to mention other alternatives like in the other ones you have for browsers or photo-editing. Or just remove those entries altogether? ANother one is Office suite, just openoffice mentioned, while there are alternative like KOffice, AbiWord, GNumeric etc.

http://www.techenclave.com/open-source-and-linux/manage-your-music-efficiently-in-linux-116287.html , have anyone gave Softmaker office a try ? Seems bloated and unpro. to me :p

Anyone game for this ? http://enna.geexbox.org/

OK tried both easytag (gnome ui) and kid3 (qt ui) both are good, I like kid3 better, I guess you can list these two on the main post for "MP3/audio ID3tag editors"

Dark Star said:
Anyone game for this ? Enna

Hey, thanks for reminding. I havent tried geexbox stuff in a long time, lets try it this weekend. My mom has some DVDs waiting to be seen, will use her as test subject alpha :D

vishalrao said:

I used Piecard for tagging. it recognizes mp3 automatically and fetches tags from musicbrains database . give it a shot!

BTW, good to have a list on the first post, but the first two entries can be "controversial", you have put distro as Arch (what about others) and desktop environment as KDE (what about others :D) ,
I confess, I am biased here.But what the heck, these are "My fav applications". you don't have a say here:tongue:

Gaurish said:
Using Linux and need to know which program to use common tasks. help is here:

Here is list of common applications(My fav applications)
so it would be nice to mention other alternatives like in the other ones you have for browsers or photo-editing. Or just remove those entries altogether?

On serious note,
I would request Darky to edit first post:)

Back