Laptops MSI Brand Gaming Laptops: Are they good?

Of course its not good. Tech and reviews sites should be working in educating the masses in this field as they can get attention rapidly but that's not happening at the moment. People are still going for el-cheapo stuffs. And this is made worse by shops selling them. Sigh.
Anyway, why don't you ask these in various forums and see how people respond? My opinions might differ from their's.

agree with the last line..IMHO you are restricting yourself to only one forum which is not good for the whole scene and the brand.
My two cents for you.
1.expecting world wide reviews will work on Indian mindset will be a mistake.So i would suggest you to give the Indian side of reviewers more chance,and by more chance i mean completely refresh the reviewers list and keep it updated every few months depending on the performance and feedback.
2.FOR GODS SAKE change that service partner.They are single handedly ruining your reputations in INDIA.

agree with the last line..IMHO you are restricting yourself to only one forum which is not good for the whole scene and the brand.
My two cents for you.
1.expecting world wide reviews will work on Indian mindset will be a mistake.So i would suggest you to give the Indian side of reviewers more chance,and by more chance i mean completely refresh the reviewers list and keep it updated every few months depending on the performance and feedback.
2.FOR GODS SAKE change that service partner.They are single handedly ruining your reputations in INDIA.
Agree with the last line :(

@iPwnz - Right on spot bro !! Agree with ALL of the points. Especially the first one. I mean, who needs an i7 with 755m ?!?[DOUBLEPOST=1396954818][/DOUBLEPOST]
+1
I just can't face digicare. Those people really don't care a bit

Thank you all for the comments. As MSI is just relaunching only in India, these problems are only the beginning. Especially our service partner, Smartlink's Digicare. We will coordinate with them to improving their service for MSI.

As for GX640, GX60 is the newer brother, which is the only gaming laptop with AMD CPU and GPU. Materials for all gaming laptops are aluminum.
In one of my posts I had written "In short the components should be able to compliment each other."
I checked the reviews of the GX60 and saw this:
As our benchmark course illustrates, the lame AMD CPU affects the performance of the Radeon HD 7970M greatly in some gaming tests. The performance loss is so high in some areas that the frame rate drops to a that of a middle-level GPU.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-GX60-Notebook.86283.0.html
See? The videocard bottlenecks the processor. That model would've worked had MSI used a lower-videocard model and sold at a lower price.
Truth be told AMD APU cannot beat its Intel counterparts in higher-end range.
I hope that you learn something from this.

Let me rephrase that, Indians are the most price-conscious people in the world. lol. :p

No, that's not what I meant. Since we are talking about "gaming laptops" let me speak from my point of view on that subject only.
Is there any "gaming laptop" for under 50k INR? No, right? Laptops in this range simply come with a "above avg." specs which includes a videocard and since there isn't anything better than this people call it a "gaming" or rather to be more precise, "laptop for gaming". Now the "gaming laptop", like I mentioned in one of earlier posts overkill laptops with overkill specs and features which we do not need are being sold at overkill rates. That, in my opinion, is the main problem. Gaming laptops do not have to be cheap nor use lower quality/tier components. But they need to be manufactured and marketed properly according to our needs. What are we supposed to do when they are being sold for over lacs of rupees with components/features which we do not even need? This is the main reason why people buy PC's instead of "gaming laptops" (not "laptops for gaming").
Let me explain this component by component.
1. Processor, not everyone needs/wants an i7. You can use i3 (will explain later) and i5 also. TBH I still feel that the Sandybridge family still offer the best price/performance ratio. There is little improvement from Sandybridge to Ivybridge and Ivybridge to Haswell. If a gaming laptop which I like use a Sandybridge I would still buy it even now. No kidding. Fact is most people buy the latest components for bragging rights.
2. RAM. Most gaming laptops come in a whopping 16GB of memory. 4GB is Okay, 8GB is good. 16GB is too much. This is one of the areas which I feel is not necessary at all for a majority of the people.
3. Another silly mistake which these brands make is the memory size of the videocard. When will they stop this marketing gimmick I don't know. But they need to stop screaming "2GB GRAPHICS CARD 2 GB GRAPHICS CARD!!". 2GB videocard in a laptop which has a display resolution of 1366*768 yeah right. If possible reduce the size to 1GB to cut costs (if it can).
4. Display, you cannot call a laptop a "gaming laptop" if it has a 1366*768 res. even if you put in the GTX TITAN in it. It won't help. Min. display should be 1600*900. Full HD 1080p would be great for the more expensive model. Please don't even think of 2K on laptops.
5. Storage. If you look at the general laptop market you'll see that the more expensive ones come with SSD's in 32GB, 40GB, 60GB etc (just random nos.). I'm not sure if that capacity would be enough. And gaming laptops also have SSD's. SSD's are good to have no doubt but do we need it? Assuming we use the SSD's for only our office and programs and softwares where are we supposed to store our games? And AAA games nowadays come in alarming 25GB+. eg. BF4, MW3. And even if a brand includes an SSD of, say, 240GB, they are sure to do it a cost and a very expensive one at that. So now then is it worth it? I'm happy using a 5900RPM mechanical disk. But sure I would like to have a 7200RPM's in a gaming laptop. As for the storage capacity, let min. be 500GB upgradeable (read customizable) to 1TB. For more storage one can simply use an external drive. Thats it for the storage.
6. Videocard. Not everyone needs a Titan or SLI-cards inside it.
7. Features. Includes bluray drive, imb4 keyboard illumination, the LAN port of one company (name which I dont remember) are all extras. They are not MUST-HAVES. Instead of this I'd like to see hotkeys on the keyboard (like in the MSI GX640). As for the illumination if its only going to add to the cost imo one color should do.
Side note: If you guys know the Razer Blade well you'll know that it does NOT have a LAN port. It comes only with a wifi for connectivity. The biggest fault with the Blade is that absence of LAN connectivity in a "gaming laptop".
8. Design. Design is also very important. Just don't turn it into an alien/robot. If i were to buy a non-gaming laptop I would surely buy it based on the looks. I'm a sucker for good design. And It should NOT be bulky please. I'd hate to carry a 3KG laptop. Asus's ROG laptops are friggin' heavy! And encased in real aluminium sounds sweet.
9. Warranty and Aftersales service. 2 year warranty should be given with extended warranty at a cost.
See? You don't need to construct a gaming laptop from lower components. You only need to use the right components at the right price. In short the components should be able to compliment

1. core i7 quad is necessary for gaming with GPUs GTX 860m and above otherwise the CPU will severely bottleneck the GPU. For instance I own core i7 4500U (which is more or less equivalent to core i5 M ) in one of my laptops and it easily bottlenecks AMD 8850M in several games.
Haswell provides an improvement of over 40% over Sandy bridge. Sandy Bridge quad cores are just slightly more powerful than Haswell i7 Us.
2. 8GB is the least amount a gaming laptop must have. COD:Ghosts requires that(w/o the mod) and I think Watchdogs recommends 6 GB too.
3. 2 GB is bare minimum. Assassin's Creed Black Flag takes up 1.7 GB on FHD.
4.You can't put GTX TITAN in a laptop. The closest is GTX 880m SLI which is reserved for 18 inchers. Not even 17 inchers can handle the heat generated by them. 2k screen is 2048x1080 which is just a few pixels more than FHD which is 1920x1080. AFAIK 2k is not available for consumers, content creators use 2k.(Just on a side note, 4k is NOT 3820x2160(This is UHD). "Actual" 4k is 4096 × 2160 which is again not available for consumers)
5.SSD should be a choice imo. Games do not benefit from SSD speeds except for loading times. They are awesome for multitasking btw. I am loving mine.
6.You can't put that in a laptop. SLI cards in laptops are very very rare.(Y500/510p,Aorus X7,Alienware 18 and 18 inch Clevos put that in laptops besides some cheap low enders(Lenovo G510 I think)) I don't think MSI uses SLI. The GPUs in laptops are considered high end if they even provide 1/4th the performance of a TITAN.
7.Agreed with everything but the KB part. Custom back lighting is a must in gaming laptops. This is what defines a gaming laptop. Don't blame the blade, how much can you stash in such a small package I ask you.
8.Nvidia Maxwell opens up the possibility of slim laptops. Still, you can't expect a laptop with GTX 880m to be slim and light. The heat will straight away melt it.
9.Agreed.

In one of my posts I had written "In short the components should be able to compliment each other."

See? The videocard bottlenecks the processor. That model would've worked had MSI used a lower-videocard model and sold at a lower price.
AMD APUs are not worth buying for a gaming laptop.

1. core i7 quad is necessary for gaming with GPUs GTX 860m and above otherwise the CPU will severely bottleneck the GPU. For instance I own core i7 4500U (which is more or less equivalent to core i5 M ) in one of my laptops and it easily bottlenecks AMD 8850M in several games.
Haswell provides an improvement of over 40% over Sandy bridge. Sandy Bridge quad cores are just slightly more powerful than Haswell i7 Us.
2. 8GB is the least amount a gaming laptop must have. COD:Ghosts requires that(w/o the mod) and I think Watchdogs recommends 6 GB too.
3. 2 GB is bare minimum. Assassin's Creed Black Flag takes up 1.7 GB on FHD.
4.You can't put GTX TITAN in a laptop. The closest is GTX 880m SLI which is reserved for 18 inchers. Not even 17 inchers can handle the heat generated by them. 2k screen is 2048x1080 which is just a few pixels more than FHD which is 1920x1080. AFAIK 2k is not available for consumers, content creators use 2k.(Just on a side note, 4k is NOT 3820x2160(This is UHD). "Actual" 4k is 4096 × 2160 which is again not available for consumers)
5.SSD should be a choice imo. Games do not benefit from SSD speeds except for loading times. They are awesome for multitasking btw. I am loving mine.
6.You can't put that in a laptop. SLI cards in laptops are very very rare.(Y500/510p,Aorus X7,Alienware 18 and 18 inch Clevos put that in laptops besides some cheap low enders(Lenovo G510 I think)) I don't think MSI uses SLI. The GPUs in laptops are considered high end if they even provide 1/4th the performance of a TITAN.
7.Agreed with everything but the KB part. Custom back lighting is a must in gaming laptops. This is what defines a gaming laptop. Don't blame the blade, how much can you stash in such a small package I ask you.
8.Nvidia Maxwell opens up the possibility of slim laptops. Still, you can't expect a laptop with GTX 880m to be slim and light. The heat will straight away melt it.
9.Agreed.
either you are dumb or you replied without reading my posts properly.

Last edited:
either you are dumb or you replied without reading my posts properly.
You are just requesting MSI to sell laptops with parts YOU want and not what MOST PEOPLE want. Your arguments are extremely poor. Nobody except you will want a Sandy Bridge proccy. The poor shopkeepers won't be ever able to sell them. Besides Sandy Bridge is extremely outdated along with producing enormous amounts of heat. They won't be ever able to sell 1 GB GPUs ever because only geeks know about shaders and stuff.
Sorry if my post was rude but I just couldn't stand your extremely ignorant and stupid post. I am just gonna quote stuff which made me laugh.
"There is little improvement from Sandybridge to Ivybridge and Ivybridge to Haswell"
"even if you put in the GTX TITAN in it"
"I'm happy using a 5900RPM mechanical disk"
Try to R&D before posting just about anything.

Do me a favor and read this.
1. I didn't say that i7 is necessary. I said not everyone needs it.
2. Thats "recommended", not "if you dont have 8GB RAM the game will not run". Sometimes I wonder if ppl takes these "Recommended" specs way too seriously.
3. No. You are forgetting the details/graphical settings again.
4. You seem to have misplaced all the words there.
5. What did I say about the SSD?
6. *facepalm* You really didn't understand what I said did you?
7. Its not. And as for the blade I wish you luck in LAN events.
8. There is something called "innovation"
So tell me did you even read my posts properly?
Even if you want to post counter-arguments please see what ppl said. I'm not saying you are wrong in what you said and ppl have different opinions and i accept that but your posts dont seem to even look like a reply to mine.[DOUBLEPOST=1397063290][/DOUBLEPOST]
You are just requesting MSI to sell laptops with parts YOU want and not what MOST PEOPLE want. .
Nope.[DOUBLEPOST=1397063330][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nobody except you will want a Sandy Bridge proccy.
I said personally didn't i?

"There is little improvement from Sandybridge to Ivybridge and Ivybridge to Haswell"
Oh is there 50% improvement?
"even if you put in the GTX TITAN in it"
Sigh. You still don't get it do you?
"I'm happy using a 5900RPM mechanical disk"
if thats going to cut down cost why the hell not? I said "I'm" not "everyone". Dude do you even read?
Try to R&D before posting just about anything.
One word, Innovation.
Anyway, why don't you ask these in various forums and see how people respond? My opinions might differ from their's.
I'm all in for debates but only if ppl actually get what I'm saying before replying out of overzealousness.

Do me a favor and read this.
1. I didn't say that i7 is necessary. I said not everyone needs it.
2. Thats "recommended", not "if you dont have 8GB RAM the game will not run". Sometimes I wonder if ppl takes these "Recommended" specs way too seriously.
3. No. You are forgetting the details/graphical settings again.
4. You seem to have misplaced all the words there.
5. What did I say about the SSD?
6. *facepalm* You really didn't understand what I said did you?
7. Its not. And as for the blade I wish you luck in LAN events.
8. There is something called "innovation"
So tell me did you even read my posts properly?
Even if you want to post counter-arguments please see what ppl said. I'm not saying you are wrong in what you said and ppl have different opinions and i accept that but your posts dont seem to even look like a reply to mine.[DOUBLEPOST=1397063290][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nope.[DOUBLEPOST=1397063330][/DOUBLEPOST]
I said personally didn't i?
1. MSI is releasing a series of gaming centered notebooks. Every potential customer is on the lookout for core i7.
2.COD:Ghosts will refuse to run if you have anything less than 6GB RAM.
3.You are forgetting about future games.
4.Your comment was so haphazard I just decided to enlighten you from scratch. Please re-read and enlighten yourself.
5.I didn't bother to go through your point assuming it will just another ignorant comment so I just answered based on keywords. Also, you can't really comment on a SSD unless you have tried it.
6."TITAN" seriously?? I'll say this again, MSI is releasing a series of gaming centered laptops and the best deal is to have the best GPU possible in that budget.
7.Not everyone is a LAN player. (This is OT)
8.There is something called "heat energy".

"Nope."
Yes you are.

Oh is there 50% improvement?

Sigh. You still don't get it do you?

if thats going to cut down cost why the hell not? I said "I'm" not "everyone". Dude do you even read?

One word, Innovation.

I'm all in for debates but only if ppl actually get what I'm saying before replying out of overzealousness.
42% improvement.
"Sigh. You still don't get it do you?"
Get a relative idea of GPU performance and then we'll talk.
"if thats going to cut down cost why the hell not? I said "I'm" not "everyone". Dude do you even read?"
It's 5400RPM, I was laughing at that.
"One word, Innovation."
One advice, keep up to date with innovation.
"I'm all in for debates but only if ppl actually get what I'm saying before replying out of overzealousness."
Bring it on.[DOUBLEPOST=1397065249][/DOUBLEPOST]Seriously though, if you want a laptop which is just able to game well along with not so top tier specs go for those Dell i7 U laptops. They can game pretty well too.
I still believe where MSI really shines is it's desktop replacement section. Laptops for serious gamers and geeks, who know the true value of a laptop when they see one, who don't skimp on any component of the laptop.
The low end ones you ask?
Road Warriors!

Get a relative idea of GPU performance and then we'll talk.
enlighten us? here or any other thread?
also u did a complete CTRL+C CTRL+V of TDF thread...i suggest u edit out some part which is unnecessary.

Last edited:
enlighten us? here or any other thread?
also u did a complete CTRL+C CTRL+V of TDF thread...i suggest u edit out some part which is unnecessary.
If you don't need my thread, I'll simply remove it. Just say it. It's useless anyway.[DOUBLEPOST=1397066389][/DOUBLEPOST]"enlighten us?"
not you. A certain somebody.

If you don't need my thread, I'll simply remove it. Just say it. It's useless anyway.[DOUBLEPOST=1397066389][/DOUBLEPOST]"enlighten us?"
not you. A certain somebody.
didn't say it was unnecessary...just don't expect the same amount of enthusiasm from two different forums :)
expecting a sticky so suddenly will only dishearten you :p

didn't say it was unnecessary...just don't expect the same amount of enthusiasm from two different forums :)
expecting a sticky so suddenly will only dishearten you :p
Any reason why this forum lacks activity??
The site design is better than TDF imo. I guess lack of forum advertising. Tdf is advertised by its magazine.
I am not desperate for a sticky FYI. Besides it's highly likely that my guide will be in the top 5 posts for quite some time unlike tdf where forum posts tend to go to the next page within a couple of days.

Yes, thank you for sharing. To be honest, if Intel/NVIDIA and AMD do not have this big war like Coca Cola and Pepsi, MSI wouldn't be stuck on the possibility of producing the best of both worlds. You know what I mean?

It was really a heated argument back there! As end users, we must also think of the general populace on what type of device will be the norm. This is how vendors choose which products to launch. Vendors will go bankrupt if everything is customized to what every person wants. Of course, this is the best case scenario, but with our production capacity and technology right now, it is not that advanced yet to have this fantasy we all want to happen.

Back to reality, A BIG NEWS is that MSI will be re-launching somewhere in second half of the year.
PROBLEM we are facing now is the application for local certification for electronic products, including laptops BUT excluding smartphones.
If there are any feedback you would like to share to us to speed up this BIS certification process in India, we would love to hear from you!

Thank you again for the support.

If there are any feedback you would like to share to us to speed up this BIS certification process in India, we would love to hear from you!

Thank you again for the support.
Open a thread for the same ?
I'm quite sure there will be people on this forum who can help you out.

Back