Max Payne 3 - Discussion Thread

Completed the game last night, what a gem of a title it is!! Cinematic-gameplay at its very finest. Thank-you Rockstar for delivery such a great action packed game that was riveting to the core. :)

P.S. Just one thing though, did anyone notice there wasn't the usual "Max Payne's journey through the night will continue" quote after the end-game credits. I sat there for a good half an hour waiting for the credits to roll to completion only to see nothing. So, is this the last Max Payne game or will trouble again find him soon enough!

completed chapter 1 and almost at the end of chapter 2.Old max payne is not there.But whatever the new one is it surely lives up to its name.The new type of cutscene is really better.

Cutscenes were not at all required 8gb of waste.Instead it should have been rendered on real time (as both makes no difference at all).

Well I have played 4 chapters today, all settings at highest and MSAA 2x, VS off. But I am worried about my xfx 6970, it recorded 85C max in gpu Z. Is the temps ok? Fan speed was 80%. I am worried to launch the game again thinking of damaging the gpu. :(

The game is freaking awesome, I must admit it.

:D

85 C is high. Really high.... If the GPU temperature is 85 C, I wonder what the mem temps are as they are considerably higher usually... But, since the games are not crashing on you, maybe its not a big deal...

Probably you have already tried doing it, but if you have not, please clean your card.. Remove the fan shroud and give it a good clean.....

Cutscenes were not at all required 8gb of waste.Instead it should have been rendered on real time (as both makes no difference at all).
It is rendered in AFAIK. In New york mode Max can have different skins and he appears in the cut scene with appropiate skins. Moreover I have noticed that the you can see the guns you are carryin in teh cut scenes. I think it's rendered in real time.

Just noticed. I had enabled SSAO instead of HDAO.

With the same settings and FXAA disabled but HDAO enabled, I now average around 70s to 90s with min above 60s.

Post patch, currently in Chapter 3.

These are the highest settings I have tried so far:
25x14
All MAX
no MSAA
MAX AF
MAX FXAA
HDAO (SSAO is less intensive and gives higher frames)

FXAA doesn't even at max doesn't affect the FPS of the game, still 100-120 average either way.

Currently in the game I was averaging 100-120 FPS and sometimes >120 FPS. FPS occasionally dip below 90-100 and rarely dip below 80-90. Practical gameplay minimum is 80s/90s. Perhaps maybe 60s-80s in some parts of the game as well.

This is with 7970 @ 1175 1550 and 2600k 4.3 and 16gig ram

Damn well optimized game :)

A 7970 can't play most games that well. I can't run Alan Wake that well. Besides, I can't even run GTA IV at MAX at 19x10 and that came from Rockstar as well.

100+ FPS minimum for high end graphics is top notch optimization even for a 7970. Most games aren't as well optimized, leave alone console ports.

This game gets 60 FPS even with last gen hardware.

Just ended it on normal, Gotta say I loved the second half of the game!
Although the story wasn't enthralling enough. It may not be the actual Max Payne sequel I was looking for, but still Rockstar managed to rock the game!

P.s Special credits to Health, some of the music in the game, made me feel badass!
gunsmilie.gif

Completed it on Medium. I have to say I'm highly impressed with the game. The start was a little rusty, but then it turned into an action packed ride. I'll have to list a couple of thing, which I think Rockstar has really nailed it, with this game:

a.) World & Character Detail - Holy shit! Everything in this game had immense amount of detail, right down to the very last filth ridden areas of Panama. PC version easily shines in this aspect and gives it a more realistic feel. Character modelling is extremely life like. Texture detail is amazing.

b.) Voice acting - I'll be blunt out here. Max owned the whole show. His voice was the only thing I could hear in this game. James McCaffery, despite being a Brit, has delivered an awesome American accent. His speech, his dialogue delivery and facial animation is what made this game. All the other characters were completely horrendous and/or downright irritating. Half the time I was having trouble understanding what the hell those chumps were even saying in Portuguese. It was too chaotic at times.

c.) Gore - This caught me by surprise. Sure, I knew there would be violence, booze and sex, but gore level was increased to a good amount. I could literally see the enemies blood trails after being shot. Each hit in their face, completely busted it wide open. And for those who have completed the game, you must have witnessed the unbearable sight of Becker. WOW! Now that is what I call gruesome. Every aspect looks so realistic.

d.) Soundtrack - Kick-ass! You can't have a Max Payne game without an EPIC soundtrack. Rockstar had positioned the music perfectly depending on the sequence. I love the Violin pieces. It's very reminiscent of the old Max Payne titles.

e.) Visuals/Graphics - I made the right choice in waiting for the PC version. Not only did Rockstar optimize this game, they put every effort to make sure it never looked like a console port/game. It's a rare thing that we see these days. I mean, the visuals are simply astounding in DX11 mode and runs really well, except in some areas, where is probably might struggle. But overall, it's rock solid. Looks like Rockstar's engine has way more potential than we can imagine.

f.) Character animation: Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I was worried this game would have the infamous GTA style tank movements, but it didn't. In fact, the animations are so smooth, you'll literally feel the pinch of falling on the ground after a slow-mo jump is completed. This game also has accurate collision detection. Shooting the enemy has variable animations, depending on what part is shot. Something which they had reflected in their initial trailers, and they lived up to their word.

So those are just a few things, which I really have to commend Rockstar for this game. The only real problem I think was the gameplay, which sort of went repetitive real fast. Also, may be it's just me, but I didn't like a single side character in this game. They just didn't connect and their god-awful lines were another distraction. My favorite level has to be the Cemetery one. It was visually, one of the most artistic level I have ever seen. Besides, I love those flashback sequences. It helps fill up all the gaps between Max's then state and current one. Gotta say, this was one true summer action block-buster experience, one that lasted 12 hours. Bravo Rockstar! :)

Back