Mass Effect 3 - Discussion Thread

Mass Effect 3 Delayed to 2012

Electronic Arts is delaying the release of Mass Effect 3 into early 2012.

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series, made the announcement through the game's official Facebook page.

"Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone's expectations."

Source: IGN

Is it wise for them to end this amazing series with ME3? I think not. Its very difficult for a game to achieve a cult status, moreover the universe that ME has created deserves to be explored more. It has tremendous potential and I would hate to see it all end with ME3.

Bluffmaster said:
Is it wise for them to end this amazing series with ME3? I think not. Its very difficult for a game to achieve a cult status, moreover the universe that ME has created deserves to be explored more. It has tremendous potential and I would hate to see it all end with ME3.

And let it continue like the PhailOfDuty series, same game different name year after year. All good things must come to an end. Accept it. I would rather see a Game Of The Year ME3 than Crap Of The Year ME4, ME5, ME6, ME: Shepherd's Origins bla bla bla. There will be other better franchises from BioWare, trust them on this.

^I don't understand all the hate for Call of Duty series. I have been a fan of Call of Duty since I played the original and since than I have played and completed all Call of Duty titles. To simply put, almost all COD titles are amongst the best FPS shooters available. Another thing I have noticed is that this trend of hate towards COD has emerged after the success of Bad Company 2, before that, everyone worshiped COD, infact they still do. I played both Bad company 2 and Modern Warfare 2 and to be honest, I enjoyed MW2 alot more than BC2. And I enjoyed Blackops even more than MW2. All COD titles are technical sound, fun and intense shooters, granted its more of the same each year but hell I really don't mind it as long as I get to enjoy playing a quality game.

So if you put things in that perspective, hell yes, I would love to have ME4, ME5 and so on. Come to think of it, a shepard origin story would make a great ME title. What say we get to play that mission on Akuze? The thing you have to understand is that making a technically sound game is not an easy thing to do. Many big famous titles struggle to get it right year after year but yet they keep on trying(Tomb Raider comes to mind). Mass Effect IMO has got it right and its very hard from here on now for them to screw things up, the way I look at it, the experience can only get better. Also please understand that Mass Effect is not your run of the mill shooter. What really makes ME appeal to most gamers is its rich story and cinematic experience and that is something which can never get stale if done right.

Speaking of trilogies, wasn't God of War supposed to be one? Yet I hear GOW 4 is in the works. Unlike movies, its a shame to end great games because there is always a scope for improvement. Also, after a game has reached cult status, it just doesn't make any business sense to end it.

My 2 cents.

Agree with you on most points. I enjoy a game with high production values and a taut story as much as the next person, but my concern here is that Activision is not showing ANY innovation with the COD series, in spite of the fact that they are in the best position in the industry to do so. They have the funds, they have the talent and all they can do is release bloody map packs. It's bad for gaming. Studios are afraid to take risks, all just want to emulate COD(case in example, Homefront). Blizzard used to be a good Studio, until the merger with Activision. Now all the focus is on expansions and new content for WoW. We should have had SC2 5 years earlier, Diablo III last year if not for WoW.

I am not saying that COD or WoW is bad. I had a great time with COD multiplayer till COD4. After that, same old kill streaks, classes, mechanics with different names. If today Valve and Bioware would have followed Activision's strategy we would have seen Half Life 35, KOTOR 19 and NeverWinter Nights 7. Remember what happened to Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk franchise? I think COD is going the same way, and I would hate to see Mass Effect following that path.

^Agreed, but doesn't a genre have a big part to play in this too? The RPG genre is such that without a solid story, the game will most likely fail. Now the advantage with games like Mass Effect is that they have established a mythology which can be spined off in n number of ways and still remain interesting and entertaining. I would take the gameplay mechanics of Mass Effect 2 and not change it for the next 10 years and still not get bored of it provided I get a new story in every new title. Unlike shooters, RPGs thrive on story and its characters, take for example the long running Elder Scrolls series. I never said that they have to release a game every year, all I am saying is that they should not put an end to a universe we have all come to accept and love. Release a new ME game every 3-4 years but do not just put an end to it.

Commander shepard like other popular Videogame characters is a character we all have been deeply attached to, how would you feel if someone was to tell you that you would no longer get to see your favorite characters like Gordon freeman, 47, Sam fisher, Max Payne, Master Chief etc in a new videogame ever again? I am strictly against killing off a great character, thats all.

They killed Mona Sax :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

New screenies !!

Mass-Effect-3-electric-arm-batons--article_image.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-Krogeth--article_image.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-Liara-and-Shepard--article_image.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-Mr-Anderson--article_image.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-muzzle-flash-to-the-face--article_image.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-Not-storm-troopers--article_image.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-palm-trees-in-space--article_image.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-rifle-butt-to-the-face--article_image.jpg

^Infact, thats a huge plus, most of us wouldn't have to upgrade our rigs to enjoy ME3. :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, how many of you play with a created shepard? I tried creating a shepard but returned to the default appearance as I think he looks the best/badass in his default form.

Back